Asthma and Cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• mssheprunner332015
    Options
    Have you.tried the Symbicort SMART regime? I switch to.this in the summer as im worse then. I've had asthma since childhood. Taking a dose before exercise helps loads, so does swimming. You'll get to know your peak flow, when mine drops I just factor my rest days in, walk instead of run, swim if poss or use the weights. I have an asthma action plan and take pred earlyish as I tip quickly. Hope this helps. Its a struggle, a pain in the *kitten* but I've tried to stop letting it win so much. I found chest physio helped toox
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    these meds (advair,symbiocort,etc) should be taken as a directed,they take awhile to work as well so you could still have an attack and its advised they are not to be taken before exercise to prevent an attack.
    I would take it as the dr prescribed it.the rescue inhaler is a bit different and can be used more often if needed.I did take symbicort and it did nothing for my asthma so went on the advair and have not had an attack in years, just a little shortness of breath here and there which is where my rescue inhaler has helped.also make sure you wash your mouth out after taking these meds as they can cause oral thrush(yeast infections) and other issues.look up the side effects so you know what they are and what to look for
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you it can be really scary i also have exercise induced asthma i developed as an adult if you are just coming off the steroids and still have wheeZing night time cough and other symptoms then stop the cardio for now and just do low impact exercise or no exercise
    What helps me is taking singulair daily and one puff of the symbicort and rescue 30 minutes before i start and use the rescue inhaler if i need it also stay out of the cold exercise away from roads and traffic etc dont push your body asthma can kill you
    However whenever i have a severe attack and have to take prednisone i stop exercise for a few week my threshold for triggering another attack lowers so if i were you i would wait till next month
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I won't be doing any cardio until I see the other doctor. I feel great today, but I am not taking peak flow readings or anything. The other doctor didn't mention this or keeping an asthma diary which really upsets me (part of the reason why I am switching). Another question, is the peak flow measurement a rolling personal best? I would assume that after a steroid dose I would have a good number and if I loose more weight this number would get better. So does the 50% off personal best adjust when the best number keeps getting better? I guess this number stabilizes eventually.

Not all doctors have you do peak flow readings or use spacers. My daughter has severe asthma and is an athlete. She takes her rescue inhaler preventatively before practice as well as 'as needed', symbicort 4 times per day, and singulair which can help some patients (it's an all or nothing type of drug, according to her pulmonologist. Some people it helps, some it doesn't).

IMO it wouldn't hurt to use the rescue inhaler preventatively for a dose or two to see if it helps, unless you have some other underlying medical conditions. I'd call your current doc's nurse and ask.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had asthma as a kid, then it was in remission for about 15 years and is back now as an adult. I use Dulera and my doctor says it's more controlled than ever now that I've been doing 3 hours of cardio a week.

Her only advice for me now is to reduce my exposure to allergens..unfortunately they're my cats, so no can do. I think you should get allergy testing and find out what's the root cause. Your doctor should urge this too, if your new one doesn't then I'd recommend finding yet another.