TDEE -20%

Options
2»

Replies

• TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Help... Please would someone who has mastered this TDEE process take a look at my numbers?? What should be my calorie intake when I exercise and when I don't..I just want to make sure I'm understanding..

As I said above, I would strongly advise you to work out your individual TDEE using your calorie intake and weight loss, but if you use an online calculator, then your minimum (no exercise) TDEE will be about 1550 calories per day.

If you take 20% off that, it'll give you (surprise, surprise) 1200 calories per day - i.e. the same as MFP probably suggests. So eat that, BUT eat back the calories for any exercise you do as well.

I myself only eat back 2/3rds of my exercise calories in order to allow for over-estimates (or under-estimates of calories eaten).
  • JennyOne2277
    JennyOne2277 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE was based on you being Sedentary, you should eat them back.
    If your TDEE was based on lightly active, moderately active, or very active - the TDEE level has already factored exercise in, and you should not eat them back.

I calculated my TDEE based on being sedentary. That way, on days I don't work out, I know the "right" calorie target. Then when I do work out (4-5x per week) on those days I eat back my exercise calories, since my TDEE assumes that I am not exercising.

I personally like to do it this way also. (Sedentary and then log & eat back any exercise calories I burn) My workouts vary from week to week. Some weeks I will go to bootcamp 3 times and burn a total of 1900 calories for the week, and some weeks I will hit the gym once for the elliptical and only burn 300 calories for the week. I don't want to base my calories on "assumed exercise calories". But, that's just me :)