Question about weigh ins

Options
How should these work? I started a week ago and according to my scale I have lost ~3 lbs, but that seems like a lot. I was wondering if I should do one daily and average in once a week or just go with the three pounds? Pretty excited though :)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Daily and mentally average. You could have lost the weight simply by eating less salt.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Weight loss in the first few weeks is more rapid due to water loss and less food/waste being in the system. It will slow down and you should be prepared for that to happen.

On the weighing issue, it really is your personal choice. I weigh twice a week, take a pic once a month and tape measure my thighs, waist and arms monthly also.

Well done for your first week :)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You can use the Libra app to graph trends. I found that eases some of the "anxiety" over weight bounces.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, then enter my weight into fitbit which then syncs with MFP and Trendweight. You don't need a fitbit to open up an account.

https://trendweight.com/dashboard/
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I was in weight loss mode, I weighed myself about 5 times a week and found it motivating and it helped me make food and exercise decisions. When I hit goal about 6 weeks ago I found the scale was starting to make me anxious and I needed to back off. I now feel comfortable weighing myself about once a week but it is random and not the same day. I have a feeling I might change my strategy again as I get more comfortable with normal fluctuations. I like the idea of looking at trends but I don't want to be obsessive about it.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    You can use the Libra app to graph trends. I found that eases some of the "anxiety" over weight bounces.

+1

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, then enter my weight into fitbit which then syncs with MFP and Trendweight. You don't need a fitbit to open up an account.

https://trendweight.com/dashboard/

Good to know. I use trendweight, but I thought it was the Aria scale that sync'd, not FitBit
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,194 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. If I've lost, I enter it into MFP.
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing, and I weigh in every day. That may change when I hit goal; I'm not sure yet.
    I think it's whatever works for you mentally. For me, getting used to seeing the down-UP-down-up fluctuation has been reassuring. I'm a lot less scared of the scale than I was. I don't even really panic these days when I see a 3 lb gain. Every week has been different; some weeks losing 2.5 lbs, some losing 0.2. After 16 weeks, the loss has averaged out to just over 1 lb down a week, including all my ''slips'' and occasional indulgences. 1 lb a week was my goal, so I'm more than happy.
    Some people prefer once a week, some once a month. I really think it boils down to finding a weigh-in habit that will keep your mind OFF the weight on the scale, if that makes any sense.
    PS, I track on three trending apps: WeightGrapher on my laptop, PopWeight and HappyScale on my phone. Each gives me slightly different information that I find motivating.
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing alternate-day fasting, and I weigh myself the morning after my fasting day
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Granted, I don't know your stats, but what's hard to believe about 3 pounds in your first week? Sure, some of that is likely water, but people do tend to lose a bit above average at first.

As for me, I weigh once per week on the same day first thing in the morning, and I log whatever the scale says. I know if a gain is really a gain or if a loss is inflated because of water - accurate logging helps ease any anxieties over random weird gains for sure. I don't need to worry about every single daily fluctuation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log into FitBit, and then watch the overall trend on trendweight. I don't really mind the ups and downs, because water weight can fluctuate so much. It's nice to have an overall trend line to see though.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When I was losing - I weighed in once a week, always on the same day, at the same time and importantly, on the same scale. I recorded that result. Keep it simple and congratulations on a great loss :)