Starting My Weight Gain Journey; Female, Mostly Veggie

Options
Hi ya'll.

I'm looking for some friends who are also in a similar situation so we can share tips/stories and keep each other motivated.
About me: I'm 23, female, 5'11" and last time I weighed myself (~1wk ago) I weighed 110 with several layers of clothes on :s Before that I had never gotten past 115. Recently I tried eating more, and my appetite has increased but I don't think I'm eating the right types of food. This upcoming week I plan on joining a gym and following the Stronglifts routine to build up some muscle.

I'm just now looking into the food portion so if you have some dietary info or recipes to share please do :smiley: Also I was raised as a vegetarian so I"m not used to eating a lot of meat. I will eat chicken turkey and fish but not that often (as of right now). I'm concerned about how I will get the daily 97g of protein that this site recommends....

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you eat chicken, turkey and fish, you should have no problem hitting 97g. I'm vegetarian and average 100-120g daily (lots of greek yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs, with some beans and protein bars/powder). Feel free to take a look at my diary for ideas, but it's really boring. I tend to eat the same things over and over.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to eat meat. You can get all of your protein from vegetarian sources or even vegan. You might need to increase your fats, too, to getin enough calories. Eggs, full fat Greek yogurt, avocados, and nuts/seeds are great.
  • DoraXMachina
    DoraXMachina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Hi! If you eat chicken, turkey and fish, you should have no problem hitting 97g. I'm vegetarian and average 100-120g daily (lots of greek yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs, with some beans and protein bars/powder). Feel free to take a look at my diary for ideas, but it's really boring. I tend to eat the same things over and over.

I usually dont eat meat everyday but i will definitely add more cheese, eggs n beans to my diet though im scared of being too gassy
  • DoraXMachina
    Options
    You don't even have to eat meat. You can get all of your protein from vegetarian sources or even vegan. You might need to increase your fats, too, to getin enough calories. Eggs, full fat Greek yogurt, avocados, and nuts/seeds are great.

Thanks for your suggestions! I just wish nuts werent so expensive
  • brante02
    brante02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Currently weigh around 120, aiming to hit 130lbs (5'6"). I've found it helpful to eat in the morning the bulk of my calories so I'm not stressing after dinner about how much food and protein I still need to get in to hit my nutrition and calorie goals. Keep in mind CARBS are just as important as protein but if you want to gain LEAN weight (muscle), stick to whole grains or gluten free (rice, sweet potatoes, corn pasta, etc). Personally I'm gluten free and I seem to have nooo problem hitting my carbs lol, struggling still with protein intake though, especially since I'm allergic to whey protein.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions! I just wish nuts werent so expensive

Buy in bulk and when on sale, look for specials.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Check out www.veganbodybuilding.com for more ideas
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    brante02 wrote: »
    if you want to gain LEAN weight (muscle), stick to whole grains or gluten free (rice, sweet potatoes, corn pasta, etc).
    Your carb sources (whole grains, gluten-free carb sources, etc.) will have no bearing on whether or not you put on muscle. What will impact your ability to gain muscle tissue is whether or not you're doing resistance training. If you want to gain muscle, you need to also be doing some form of progressive resistance training.

• DoraXMachina
    Options
    brante02 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat! Currently weigh around 120, aiming to hit 130lbs (5'6"). I've found it helpful to eat in the morning the bulk of my calories so I'm not stressing after dinner about how much food and protein I still need to get in to hit my nutrition and calorie goals. Keep in mind CARBS are just as important as protein but if you want to gain LEAN weight (muscle), stick to whole grains or gluten free (rice, sweet potatoes, corn pasta, etc). Personally I'm gluten free and I seem to have nooo problem hitting my carbs lol, struggling still with protein intake though, especially since I'm allergic to whey protein.

Good luck with your weight gain! And great advice. I was definitely a bit stressed last night when I saw i didn't meet my goals.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi. Was always under weight, started eating more ( I am a social eater only, so started going out to eat more), gained muscle and fat, now at normal weight maintaining but wanting to be a bit leaner. I am also mainly vegetarian in diet, only when I feel depleted do I eat eggs and fish-even tho I don't like them at all.