CLA success/failure?

Options
I'm looking for people's personal experiences with taking CLA along with exercise and healthy eating to increase their fat loss results. Be as specific as possible, include the brand and amount (mg or other), how many you took a day and how drastic the results, if any. Just looking for community feedback. :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No measurable effect here. 1000 mg/day * 30 days. Which reminds me, I should use them up before they expire.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I took a CLA supplement alongside Thermobol for around 3-4 months. I did lose fat but I honestly can't tell you if it was down to the supplements or down to the fact that I was exercising and eating at a deficit.

This was around 2 years ago.

In April, I realized I needed to get back into a good routine after a significant weight gain so I exercised and focused on my deficit and used zero supplements. I have to say, the fat loss has been VERY impressive. So I'd say you can certainly save yourself the money and do it without.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Drinking 3 cups of green tea a day helped me. Try that instead of some pill.
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    CLA works great if you have yourself in check. I took PrimaForce MAX CLA for 3 months. I cant say exactly how much weight the CLA was responsible for itself, but in the 3 month period I dropped 28lbs. I usually took it 2-3 hours after my last meal of the day. (Usually a post workout meal; Protein shake, 2 flour tortillas, and some chicken). I would take 3 CLA gels, and 2 Fish oil gels before bed.

If you need any more info, just message me.

Hope this helps,

-Josh-
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    CLA or Tonalin does not work. If it did, or if any pill worked, not only would no one ever have excess bodyweight, but it would cost a lot more than it already does.

At best, the science and studies surrounding CLA are mixed. Some studies seem to show results, others show no results, some show results at very high dosages only.

When studies are mixed like this it generally means that more rigorous study is needed before any conclusion can truly be made.

At best, the supplement itself suggest taking it while restricting calories and exercising, so any results could easily be attributed to CICO and increased activity and caloric deficit.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/supplements/Conjugated+Linoleic+Acid/

Summary
    All Essential Benefits/Effects/Facts & Information

Conjugated Linoleic Acid, or CLA, is a term used to refer to a mixture of fatty acids that have the general structure of linoleic acid (18 carbons in length, 2 double bonds) where the double bonds exist two carbons away from each other; they are all polyunsaturated fatty acids, and some may be trans fatty acids.

Although many exist, only two are commonly referred to. One called c9t11 (cis-9, trans-11) and the other t10c12 (trans-10, cis-12), named after what bond occurs where on the side chain.

CLA has been investigated to be a fat burner and health promoting agent due to its effect on a molecular signalling receptor family named PPAR which is related to fat burning, steroid signalling, inflammation, and glucose/lipid metabolism.

However, human studies on CLA are very unreliable and the overall effects seen with CLA are not overly potent as well as sometimes contradicting. CLA is a good research standard to investigated fatty acids and the PPAR system, but its usage as a supplement for personal goals is quite lacklustre.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    CLA did absolutely nothing for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Peer reviewed clinical studies (not the "testimonials" of users or articles or blogs with no evidence) have been shown to NOT help with weightloss with the possible exception of the obese category with CLA use.
    You're best bet is just to be in consistent calorie deficit and save your money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple way to tell if a "fat burner" works.

Take your temperature a few times, and average them. Take the fat burner. Take your temperature again and see if there is a significant increase.

Energy from metabolism can only go into two places - you can do mechanical work (i.e. movement of yourself or other objects) or you can dissipate energy as heat. Any actual fat burner should cause an increase in body temperature. A powerful fat burner would also be a potent toxin because it could kill via hyperthermia.

(Yes, a calorimiter would be more accurate but most people don't have that kind of gear around).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Any actual fat burner should cause an increase in body temperature. A powerful fat burner would also be a potent toxin because it could kill via hyperthermia.

If it's a thermogenic, you might see an increase in body temperature. If it works by another method, like appetite control, you might not.

Hyperthermia would only happen if the person couldn't dump excess heat (can't sweat, capillaries can't dilate, etc). Pretty rare. :+1: