When do I get to TDEE -15%?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am about 8 1/2 pounds away from my goal so I was wondering when I should go down to TDEE -15%. I've been doing TDEE -20% but it's been coming off so slowly so I'm hesitant to go up but it seems like most people go up in calories when they get closer to their goal. I have no problem with the weight coming off slower as long as it keeps coming off. I just don't want it to stop coming off! Thank you!

Replies

• ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump for help needed :).
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'm at TDEE-15% with 10 lbs to go. When I get to 5 I plan on bumping it to -10% and when I get to 5 under goal I will go in to maintenance which should bring me back up to goal once my glycogen stores are filled.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    now would be good :) Hopefully someone will come along and expand on WHY "now would be good," as all I can do is parrot information I've read on here (last few pounds come off slow as cold molasses, with less than 15lb to lose 20% is too great a deficit, etc) but I can't tell you the WHYs that go into that. But I can at least bump your post up :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I've got 17 to go myself and figured at 15-10 pounds to go I'd move up to -15%, personally.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "so slowly"... If it's only 0.2/ week... I'd wait to change it. If you are worried that you will have problems staying at TDEE-20% for much longer, there's no harm in trying out TDEE-15% for a few weeks and see how you do. (Just be sure to recalculate your TDEE using your new weight, not the weight you started with). You can always adjust up or down based on your body's reaction.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! It's actually about 1 pound a week, sometimes a little less. It has definitely been coming off slower though! I think I'll try TDEE -15% for a few weeks and see what happens. I don't care if I only lose two pounds in a month. As long as it keeps coming off I'll be happy!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My general rule is less than 15 pounds to go = TDEE -10%. That is where I have been for a while now and the weight is moving, but still slowly (just as slow as at a bigger deficit, so why not eat more?)