Cutting for women who already have a low maintenance amoung

Options
I'm 5'1.5" and have been at a recomp since early fall, eating at maintenance. I've been hovering between 120-123, and the profile picture is pretty accurate of how I look now. I might be around 28% body fat, maybe less; my last BF check was over a year ago, when I looked quite different (not as much ab def). I want to do a cut after the holidays so the muscle definition in my arms can become more visible. However, because of my age (57) and small size, my maintenance calories are already pretty low. My metabolism is quite low, and I can do a fairly substantial workout (kickboxing, treadmill, strength training) and end up with under 1700 for the day. I set my MFP base to my BMR, 1088, and I use a FItbitCharge HR for exercise calories, and my maintenance is often under 1500. I'm resetting my MFP base to 1000, which will probably get me closer to 1200 for daily intake, and I'll tighten on tracking, of course. However, I have found that the few extra calories since I've been in maintenance have made a positive difference in my energy level, and wonder if it will be enough to fuel my daily acitvities and workout. I followed one women "cut" thread, which said the only way most women can do a cut is through intermittent fasting, but I'm one of those people who will almost pass out if I don't eat breakfast within 1/2 hour of getting up, so I don't know if I can get through a day on 500 calories.

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Excuse typo -- I meant low maintenance amount.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You might want to vary your routine and see what works for you. There are different ways to ramp up your metabolism through exercise. You're pretty small so the amount of calories that you'll be allowed will likely need to decrease in order to get the kind of cuts you want. Look at what your eating as well as how much and tailor your diet that way. I'm in a cut routine right now (at 16% trying to get down to 10% before summer) and my caloric intake has been cut by 500 cals at this point but will likely increase as the weight comes off to get the same affect. Many people in a cut generally will eat 500 less calories than their resting TDEE (not counting exercise calories) to start and will eat a diet high in protein and fats and lower in carbs. At this point most of my carbs are complex (vegetables, baked sweet or white potato). In a cut, your exercise routine will suffer, it's just the nature of the beast. The point is that the only way to get the cuts you want is to decrease calories or burn more calories. Also, at 55, you might not get the kind of overall definition that you want. You're body doesn't work like it used to. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try your best. Good luck.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you eat the right things you shouldn't have a problem with energy. I am about to end my cut eating about 1200 calories. The key is to spread out your meals and get your micro nutrients. In the afternoon I have a serving of almonds and a serving of cashews this really helps me maintain energy. I also eat lots of spinach. The 2nd week of my cut I notice a big dip in energy levels but after keeping up with it that went away.

My cut has been great I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months while keeping most of my muscle mass. But make sure you do a lot of research on it. And also remember to lift hard to try to keep as much muscle as possible.
  • rosebette
    Options
    20 lbs. in two months -- I don't think I could do that! But then I checked your stats, and you're a 20 year old male. However, I'm surprised that a male can sustain energy and build muscle at 1200 calories. As a smaller and older female, should I be dipping below 1000?
  • rosebette
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    You might want to vary your routine and see what works for you. There are different ways to ramp up your metabolism through exercise. You're pretty small so the amount of calories that you'll be allowed will likely need to decrease in order to get the kind of cuts you want. Look at what your eating as well as how much and tailor your diet that way. I'm in a cut routine right now (at 16% trying to get down to 10% before summer) and my caloric intake has been cut by 500 cals at this point but will likely increase as the weight comes off to get the same affect. Many people in a cut generally will eat 500 less calories than their resting TDEE (not counting exercise calories) to start and will eat a diet high in protein and fats and lower in carbs. At this point most of my carbs are complex (vegetables, baked sweet or white potato). In a cut, your exercise routine will suffer, it's just the nature of the beast. The point is that the only way to get the cuts you want is to decrease calories or burn more calories. Also, at 55, you might not get the kind of overall definition that you want. You're body doesn't work like it used to. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try your best. Good luck.

The problem with someone my size is eating 500 calories lower than my TDEE would put me at 1000 or less. Is that something I should be doing, and is it sustainable? My BMR is under 1100, so potentially, I could just eat at that.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    I haven't built muscle in fact I've lost some muscle in my arms (my chest, back, legs have maintained) but if you're going to do a true cut you should expect at least some muscle loss.

Personally if I were to do my cut over I would've taken in a bit more calories. Most of what I read said cut around 20% of your daily calories if I remember right.

It'll take your body a bit to get used to the calorie deficit but once it does you'll start feeling a bit more energized. I think a big part of this comes from cutting out sugar.

I recommend doing a lot of research and plan your meals and snacks. Brocoli, spinach, celery are great cut foods. Nuts are good for some fat in your diet. And chicken has been my best friend. I also recommend one moderate cheat meal per week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    20 lbs. in two months -- I don't think I could do that! But then I checked your stats, and you're a 20 year old male. However, I'm surprised that a male can sustain energy and build muscle at 1200 calories. As a smaller and older female, should I be dipping below 1000?

No, there is no reason to cut your calories aggressively! With so little to lose, you should be aiming for one half pound loss per week, so a 250 calorie deficit. Since you seem to be all over the exercise portion of the equation, you shouldn't have to go below 1200 to get that.

Unfortunately, I think alot of the other info you've gotten in this thread haven't taken into consideration your size. It's just not possible for us little peeps to keep a 500 calorie deficit and not undereat.

Also please don't miss the link @queenliz99 posted above, it should help you out!
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    Yeah rosebette the 500 calories was that persons number not what they were suggesting for you. It's like I said 20% seems to be a pretty reasonable cut number. So if your maintianence is 1500 drop it to 1200 calories which isn't hard.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, I think that the key at your size is to plan on your weight loss taking longer than it does for other people. By that, I mean that your deficit will be smaller so it will take longer to lose the weight. Without eating at an unhealthily low level, there's not really a way around that. If you cut your calories too much, you will end up having low energy, which increases the chances of you crashing out of the diet entirely or at least reduce the amount of activity you do. That activity could be your exercise activity, which you would notice right away that you have less energy for. Or it could be your non-exercise activity, which many people do not notice themselves reducing until they look back and try to figure out why their weight loss has stalled.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you are small, then lose at a slower rate. I'm 5'11" and 178lb. 0.5% per week (half the max recommended rate) is only 0.89lb/week. For someone like you, that is 0.615lb/week, but it is still a great rate. To hit 0.6lb/week, you'd have to eat at a 300 calorie/day deficit, which would fit within your parameters.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am 5"2 and 117. Bc of our size our BMR is naturally lower. I would say go with a smaller deficit. 500 may be to aggressive for you. See how you feel and how your body responds.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    OP, I think that the key at your size is to plan on your weight loss taking longer than it does for other people. By that, I mean that your deficit will be smaller so it will take longer to lose the weight. Without eating at an unhealthily low level, there's not really a way around that. If you cut your calories too much, you will end up having low energy, which increases the chances of you crashing out of the diet entirely or at least reduce the amount of activity you do. That activity could be your exercise activity, which you would notice right away that you have less energy for. Or it could be your non-exercise activity, which many people do not notice themselves reducing until they look back and try to figure out why their weight loss has stalled.

^^ This
    I did it slowly...lost eating 1600-1800 cals 1/2lb a week...maintain on 2200 ...I'm 5ft 2 weight range 130-133lbs.
    I just wouldn't have energy for my workouts if I ate lower.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Can you up your cardio instead of decreasing food?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200. You'll lose, slowly-but that's fine. If you are low energy ever, you've been logging enough to know to maybe adjust your macros, or if he day calls for it-eat more.