I've been at it for 1.5 months and I've only lost 3 lbs

Options
FunkyMonkey80
FunkyMonkey80 Posts: 71 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm feeling a little frustrated. I started at 135lb and am now around 131-132. Yes, I'm happy that I've lost some weight, but by now I should be under 130. I went from not going to the gym at all, to running at least 3 times a week for about 5km and I am eating much more consciously. Yes, there are days when I am over my allowed calorie intake, but for the most part I am meeting my goal or am under. I am on the "lose a pound a week" plan.
What is going on??

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What are you doing to determine how many calories you're eating? Are you estimating portions, using measuring cups, or a food scale?

Many of us are terrible at estimating, and using a food scale to weigh all solids in grams will help ensure you're eating as much as you think you are.

~Lyssa
  • PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was plateau-ing as well until I went on the paleo diet. After that, the weight just kept dropping off.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I was plateau-ing as well until I went on the paleo diet. After that, the weight just kept dropping off.

Since she is losing, she hasn't plateaued. All diets depend upon caloric deficit for loss ... paleo, keto, vegan, atkins, twinkie, etc.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youre eating more than you think you are
  • PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Since she is losing, she hasn't plateaued. All diets depend upon caloric deficit for loss ... paleo, keto, vegan, atkins, twinkie, etc.

If you call that losing... that could be water weight fluctuations. I go up & down by a few pounds every day, but I still call it maintaining when my overall average stays within 2 lbs. of my starting weight. I drink a ton of water, so that's the ONLY reason I'm bringing up the water thing. It's obviously not the same for everyone.

And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard).. I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies. I do occasionally eat fruit, but in limited quantities.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little frustrated. I started 1t 135lb and am now around 131-132. Yes, I'm happy that I've lost some weight, but by now I should be under 130. I went from not going to the gym at all, to running at least 3 times a week for about 5km and I am eating much more consciously. Yes, there are days when I am over my allowed calorie intake, but for the most part I am meeting my goal or am under. I am on the "lose a pound a week" plan.
    What is going on??

Perfect, you're on the right track! You started out trying to lose 17 pounds, and a 3 pound loss comes out to a little less than a pound a month. I suggest you weigh your food and log everything you eat to make sure you are accurate. Also, since you have so little to lose, I suggest just setting your goals to lose a half pound a month. You need to be patient because you sound like you are at or close to a healthy weight already and your weight will naturally come off slower. You want to lose weight in a sustainable way so that you are able to keep it off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little frustrated. I started at 135lb and am now around 131-132. Yes, I'm happy that I've lost some weight, but by now I should be under 130. I went from not going to the gym at all, to running at least 3 times a week for about 5km and I am eating much more consciously. Yes, there are days when I am over my allowed calorie intake, but for the most part I am meeting my goal or am under. I am on the "lose a pound a week" plan.
    What is going on??
    Height, age?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If you call that losing... that could be water weight fluctuations. I go up & down by a few pounds every day, but I still call it maintaining when my overall average stays within 2 lbs. of my starting weight. I drink a ton of water, so that's the ONLY reason I'm bringing up the water thing. It's obviously not the same for everyone.

And you don't have to cut calories if you cut out carbs entirely (which is hard).. I'm not super active by any means, and I've lost almost 60lbs eating the same amount of calories, but removing carbs and replacing them with lean meat & veggies. I do occasionally eat fruit, but in limited quantities.

To lose fat, you do need to cut calories. Claiming that what she sees might be water weight fluctuations then saying one doesn't need to cut calories if they cut carbs, which results in a water weight loss tied to the loss of stored glycogen is irony at its best. Thank you for the Sunday morning laugh.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Agree with those asking for more info regarding your logging accuracy.

You have about 10 more pounds to go. With a start goal of losing around 15 pounds, it's best to be losing at a rate of about 1/2 lb/wk, which you are. You're probably just eating into your deficit enough because of inaccurate logging that instead of losing the one pound you asked for, you're losing a half pound. That's not a bad thing. However, if eventually you stop losing (for at least 4-6 weeks with consistent logging), then you should really tighten up your logging.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Not a plateau because she's losing. By they way, diet type has nothing to do with weight loss, it's all about the calorie deficit. Diet type for weight loss is preference.
  • FunkyMonkey80
    Options
    Ok, to clear things up: I use a food scale, measuring cups, etc. I always measure and will always lean to the higher end of measurement if I`m a little unsure.
  • FunkyMonkey80
    Options
    Like I said, there is always a day in the week that I am at least 1000 over in calories. Holiday parties and weekends ruin me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Ok, to clear things up: I use a food scale, measuring cups, etc. I always measure and will always lean to the higher end of measurement if I`m a little unsure.

Well, if you're losing at a slower weight than what you set your goals for, there is inaccuracy somewhere. Do you log cardio exercise and eat those calories back? Where do you get your burns from?

Please open your diary if you want more specific help.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Like I said, there is always a day in the week that I am at least 1000 over in calories. Holiday parties and weekends ruin me.

That can lessen a calorie deficit, especially if you add up the week's calories. :)
  • FunkyMonkey80
    Options
    35 yr old and 163cm (5'4)
  • FunkyMonkey80
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Well, if you're losing at a slower weight than what you set your goals for, there is inaccuracy somewhere. Do you log cardio exercise and eat those calories back? Where do you get your burns from?

Please open your diary if you want more specific help.

Oh ok! I`ll do that :)
  • FunkyMonkey80
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm feeling a little frustrated. I started 1t 135lb and am now around 131-132. Yes, I'm happy that I've lost some weight, but by now I should be under 130. I went from not going to the gym at all, to running at least 3 times a week for about 5km and I am eating much more consciously. Yes, there are days when I am over my allowed calorie intake, but for the most part I am meeting my goal or am under. I am on the "lose a pound a week" plan.
    What is going on??

Perfect, you're on the right track! You started out trying to lose 17 pounds, and a 3 pound loss comes out to a little less than a pound a month. I suggest you weigh your food and log everything you eat to make sure you are accurate. Also, since you have so little to lose, I suggest just setting your goals to lose a half pound a month. You need to be patient because you sound like you are at or close to a healthy weight already and your weight will naturally come off slower. You want to lose weight in a sustainable way so that you are able to keep it off.

Thank you!! You`re making me feel better. :) I do think it is likely those days that I go way over that kind of take away from my progress. But you`re right, I need to be more patient. At least I've lost some weight!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Well, there's part of it right there. You're eating into that 1 lb/wk deficit that you asked MFP for, so you're not losing the 1 lb/wk.

Also, what do you use the measuring cups for? Just liquid? Solids should all be measured, even prepackaged stuff. Also, if you're going over because of holiday parties, I'd assume you're eating things that you didn't make. So, you have to choose something from the database that's maybe close, but not exact. So you're going over because of deliberately eating into your deficit and some guessing when logging. If you want to lose more (but again, 1/2 lb/wk is really good for the amount you have to lose), you have to be more accurate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    35 yr old and 163cm (5'4)
    You're in normal for BMI, so you're loss goal should be more like .25 lbs a week.
    Try being consistent for a week (don't eat the extra 1000 calories) and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png