Fasting every other day

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So bizarre. Just thinking about it gives me a massive headache for soooo many reasons. So it's time to go think about something more useful and positive.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    At your age, I would go on a plant based healthy diet instead. Stop eating every night at 6pm if you wish.

Why? Creating a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, there's absolutely no need to cut out any type of food to lose weight?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand about fasting:
    1. Don't you get very hungry?
    2. Isn't this extremely unpleasant?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    gregpstone wrote: »
    I've changed the title. If you Google "intermittent fasting" most of the hits are about fasting a certain number of days per week. The intermittent fasting group on this site in contrast seems to be all about fasting a certain number of hours each day, usually combined with heavy weight training.

Check out this 5:2 group;
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

He said that it suits him fine. As for being unpleasant, I was at a retreat over the summer where we didn't eat after noon. The first few days were hard, but after that I got used to it. The most surprising realization? I actually could fall asleep with my stomach growling. It was one of the lies I had been telling myself for years.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I thought I would *never* be able to go for longer than a few hours without eating, but I have been doing that lately. Not intentionally, it's just because I've been more sedentary than ever in my life (bc another injury) and am just not hungry. If I were active, no way.

I don't know how people cope with stomach rumbling though, I wouldn't put up with that.
  • gregpstone
    gregpstone Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

1.No, the first day I got a little hungry before the single meal and just before bed. The morning hunger hasn't recurred and I moved the single 600 calorie meal back from noon to 1PM, which seemed to prevent bedtime hunger. I may be unusually adaptable as far as not feeling hunger but I understand that most people don't feel significant hunger after the first few fast days.

2. The fast days are less unpleasant and less stressful than most of my 1800 calorie food logging days and the eating days are much better. The stress is gone.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've never done a 5:2 or similar on purpose, but at times I've changed my eating habits quite a bit, including very low intake days. Sometimes I think people get so hung up on doing it a certain way they ignore other possibilities.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I mostly do 18:6. The point of these kinds of regimes is to find helpful eating scenarios that fit into your life -- not to make things more complicated.
    I am flexible and some times do two meals a day that do not exactly fit those hours (18:6).

• jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I hope this method works for you. I have experience in fasting for religious reasons. I believe the most potentially harmful part of this is that when you come to a non fasting day you will want to binge. J
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options

It's normal to feel hungry eating at a deficit. So yes, fasting isn't terribly pleasant at first, just like starting any new eating routine that requires cutting calories. But eventually, you grow used to it and your body adapts. For me, the benefit of being able to eat at maintenance for most of the week outweighs the unpleasantness of two fasting days. Some people may not feel the same way, and that's why losing weight is so personal. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone. It's still CICO, it's just based on a schedule.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what feels right for you. :)
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x/full
    In sum, intermittent CR and daily CR diets appear to be equally as effective in decreasing body weight, fat mass, and potentially, visceral fat mass.

However, intermittent restriction regimens may be superior to daily restriction regimens in that they help conserve lean mass at the expense of fat mass. These findings add to the growing body of evidence showing that intermittent CR may be implemented as another viable option for weight loss in overweight and obese populations.