Kettlebells..? Am I just too old school..?

Options
I have seen these kettlebells and maybe I am just old school, but are they just a trend or what is the advantage of them over traditional dumbbells..? Should I ask Santa maybe for a last-minute kettlebell..? Thanks for any thoughts, opinions and advice!!

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You're comparing apples and oranges - they're different tools. You do different things with them. A good exercise for one is not necessarily a good exercise for the other. They're both weight-moving resistance tools, but that's about where the resemblance ends.

As far as you being too old-school for kettlebells, here is a picture of Gustav Wain, the German strongman, juggling kettlebells in the early 1900s:

gustav_wain_1902.jpg

If you are old enough that instruments in use in the early 1900s seem newfangled to you, I highly recommend seeking the advice of a physician before... well, doing anything really, but especially something that involves slinging a small cannonball around.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    HAHA, too funny!! :) I just have not seen kettlebells in the local sporting goods stores until recently.
    Thanks for the chuckle though! ;)
  • mjwandssw
    mjwandssw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to have kettle bells unless you intend to do a Crossfit type exercise workout. If you do, if used properly, they can provide a great workout.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebells.
    For several years, my only workout was HIIT workouts with kettlebells.
    Since having this munchkin 8 months ago, I've been going to the gym.

I like them for quick workouts on days when the gym is closed, or I haven't had time to go.

I did see a quicker change in my body when I was using them vs going to the gym.
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell in my opinion are awesome. I just started using them and it's like a combo of cardio and strength training all in 1 workout. I have read a ton about them before I started using them though. I currently mastered the swing which is a great exercise for me.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    They definitely sound like something I want to look in to. I think once learning more about them, how to use them properly they will be great to use, especially when I hit a plateau! I am a fast learner with a lot of stuff. Not everything, but a lot of stuff. ;)

Thanks for all the info and sharing experiences with them. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great, but you need to be careful, as with pretty much any weight type training, to make sure your form is correct. All the more with kettlebells because it is a balistic movement, and you will pay for bad form. (Speaking from experience here)
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    HAHA, too funny!! :) I just have not seen kettlebells in the local sporting goods stores until recently.
    Thanks for the chuckle though! ;)

You're welcome! I love those old strongman posters.

On a serious note, though, I love my kettlebells. You can do swings, loaded carries, presses, and all sorts of other things - they're very versatile and much less awkwardly shaped than dumbbells. But the poster above is right: it's worth it to get expert instruction at first, because they're easier to hurt yourself with than dumbbells are.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mind your wrists and tendons

Tendonitis is a total ...*insert expletive of choice*
  • MSH2930
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Mind your wrists and tendons

Tendonitis is a total ...*insert expletive of choice*

Ahhhh..see, this was something lurking in the back of my subconsciousness..I've got bad wrists..These may not be for me, might be best to stick with dumbbells.

Oh I totally believe in and agree with proper form. I have always been huge on that. Definitely don't want to risk injury. Plus you get the most bang for your buck when you use proper form.

Maybe I will poke around on youtube for some instructional videos on them, but so far, the wrist issue makes me think these might not be for me.. :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find a kettlebell class or certified instruction place near me with no luck so far. Any suggestions on where to look for this?
  • MSH2930
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jemhh, I hope someone can answer that for you. I would maybe google kettleball classes and your zip code and see what pops up. Or go to your local YMCA or gym and ask. Even though that facility may not offer it, that may know of a place that does. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer. Good Luck!! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A KB & a dumbell are about as different as a hammer & a screw driver. They are different tools to be used in different ways. I would HIGHLY suggest if you want to explore the world of kb's to find someone who is RKC certified or holds some other reputable kb cert.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome. When I first started with them I thought they were a trend to but quickly learned that they've been around a long time. They're great home equipment for people with limited space but still want a killer workout. I know I asked Santa for another new one this year, I sure hope I get it!

Also agree with rybo, if you are new to the exercise make sure to see someone RKC trained (not just any crossfit trainer) about form and safety before you get into it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    mjwandssw wrote: »
    You probably don't need to have kettle bells unless you intend to do a Crossfit type exercise workout. If you do, if used properly, they can provide a great workout.

Good god no. Kettlebells came waaay before crossfit, and are a fantastic tool for a workout program if done correctly. I agree with the others about finding an RKC. I have read tons of books on form and watched videos on youtube by RKCs like Sarah Lurie and Lauren Brooks. Those would be good places to start.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Finding an RKC in this area would be like trying to find a needled in a haystack.
    TY htimpaired, I will look for yt videos from Sarah Lurie or Lauren Brooks.

Thanks so much for all the info. Looks like I need lots more research!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    jemhh, I hope someone can answer that for you. I would maybe google kettleball classes and your zip code and see what pops up. Or go to your local YMCA or gym and ask. Even though that facility may not offer it, that may know of a place that does. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer. Good Luck!! :)

Sadly, I've done (google) that and am not finding anything close. No problem, it's not a pressing need :)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love using kettlebells & bought 2 12 kg bells for those days I'd rather workout at home or the park. As everyone else already mentioned again it's very important to be careful using them look into RKC style imo.
  • KaylaMurphy95
    KaylaMurphy95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

• KaylaMurphy95
    KaylaMurphy95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love love kettlebells! If you are looking for a single piece of equipment to invest in, I would go for kettlebells. They are extremely versatile-- from the traditional kettlebells swing, to KB lunges, to KB snatches-- there's not much you can't do with them that you would be able to do with other equipment. I am an avid Crossfitter, but you definitely shouldn't be intimidated by the kettlebells of you are not into such extreme workouts (although I would encourage everyone to give it a go- I have lost 50 pounds with the help of the program).