Weight gain

Options
Hi all

New to all of this and haven't really got to much of an idea of what I am doing

Just a quickie...

I'm a thin male and looking to put on some weight. I'm really light now around 8 stone and would like to go up to about 9 stone as soon as possible and gradually go up from there. I'm not looking to get huge or bulk. I have no intention of going to the gym at all let alone 3 or 4 times a week. I'm purely looking to gain the weight and do some simple exercises at home to tone some and keep a little fit (ideally)

I would like to know how would be the best way to do this? I'm not a lover of fruit at all (many of them make me spew) and I don't do nuts either.... I'll eat veg when I can but other than that I don't eat too healthily.

What would be the best way to generally put on some decent weight quickly would be the general question.

Thanks all

Callum

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you read the stickies at the top of this forum? Good info up there!!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The deadly simple answer to your question is to work out your daily required calories to maintain weight and add yourself 500-1000 calories a day to that number (example - maintenance 2000 + 500 = daily intake = 2500). This will provide you with an additional 3500-7000 calories per week
    3500 calories above or below your TDEE will provide you with a 1lb loss or gain.

This counts ONLY for gain and loss and will do nothing whatsoever for general body composition.
    For that, you need to target certain macros/micros and do a certain amount of exercising.

All the best!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The deadly simple answer to your question is to work out your daily required calories to maintain weight and add yourself 500-1000 calories a day to that number (example - maintenance 2000 + 500 = daily intake = 2500). This will provide you with an additional 3500-7000 calories per week
    3500 calories above or below your TDEE will provide you with a 1lb loss or gain.

This counts ONLY for gain and loss and will do nothing whatsoever for general body composition.
    For that, you need to target certain macros/micros and do a certain amount of exercising.

All the best!

why 1000 calories, that would put OP at gaining two pounds week and he said that he does not want to work out so most of that is going to be fat gain ..

I think 500 would be the top end for OP based on their goals….
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

All the best!

why 1000 calories, that would put OP at gaining two pounds week and he said that he does not want to work out so most of that is going to be fat gain ..

10-15% surplus would be plenty especially if not lifting.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

All the best!

I agree...500 calorie surplus is the way to go here.

The weight gain will be somewhat slower, and OP indicated a desire to put on weight FAST, but I would say the same thing to someone looking to lose weight fast - take it slow and steady, and you'll be much happier with the end result.
  • txchipk
    txchipk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all

New to all of this and haven't really got to much of an idea of what I am doing

Just a quickie...

I'm a thin male and looking to put on some weight. I'm really light now around 8 stone and would like to go up to about 9 stone as soon as possible and gradually go up from there. I'm not looking to get huge or bulk. I have no intention of going to the gym at all let alone 3 or 4 times a week. I'm purely looking to gain the weight and do some simple exercises at home to tone some and keep a little fit (ideally)

I would like to know how would be the best way to do this? I'm not a lover of fruit at all (many of them make me spew) and I don't do nuts either.... I'll eat veg when I can but other than that I don't eat too healthily.

What would be the best way to generally put on some decent weight quickly would be the general question.

Honestly, this is a little like saying "I want to run a marathon, but I don't intend to do much running to prepare for it."

You cannot gain good (adding muscle with minimal fat accumulation) weight without a good eating plan and a commitment to resistance training. Otherwise, you are going to just gain mostly fat.

It doesn't matter if you want to gain a little muscle or get huge -- same principles apply: lift heavy and intensely and get enough food until you get to the weight you want to be at.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options

All the best!

The weight gain will be somewhat slower, and OP indicated a desire to put on weight FAST, but I would say the same thing to someone looking to lose weight fast - take it slow and steady, and you'll be much happier with the end result.

Depending on the OP's height, at 112 lbs, the want for putting on weight fast might be related to concerns from a doctors. Generally, I would agree that slower with progressive lifting is more ideal for most people, but some can benefit from higher rates, but recognize that most, if not all, will be fat.

OP, if you aren't willing to exercise, you aren't going to look trim or tone. You will gain mostly fat. Overall, if you aren't willing to put in the work for the body you won't, you can't expect those results.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

All the best!

Within my reply I stated
    This counts ONLY for gain and loss and will do nothing whatsoever for general body composition

'Weight gain' was the question, not intent.

now.

psulemon wrote: »

All the best!

Depending on the OP's height, at 112 lbs, the want for putting on weight fast might be related to concerns from a doctors. Generally, I would agree that slower with progressive lifting is more ideal for most people, but some can benefit from higher rates, but recognize that most, if not all, will be fat.

OP, if you aren't willing to exercise, you aren't going to look trim or tone. You will gain mostly fat. Overall, if you aren't willing to put in the work for the body you won't, you can't expect those results.

This.

:)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

All the best!

True dat...clearly (I would hope) a doctor's orders would override the board's general advice.