Would homemade nut butters be fine with pretoasted nuts?

Options
CooCooPuff
CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
I made some pecan butter recently. Despite burning the raw nuts a little, it came out pretty nice. I want to try making more with something different. I bought some roasted sunflower seeds and was wondering if I could use those.

While we're on the topic, post some other nut butter recipes. Making the stuff was pretty fun.
*insert crappy joke about the word nut*

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes, at the time you grind them, the nuts don't know who roasted them. As long as they're tasty as nuts, they'll be fine as butter.

My preference is for almonds, roasted a little less long and ground fairly coarse.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Grind sesame seeds (tahini) to add to mix with chic peas for home made hummus.
    http://humus101.com/EN/2015/09/15/hummus-recipe/
    Ingredients

[4 extra-large bowls of Hummus]

1 cups dried chickpeas (the smallest you can find)
    1/2 cup tahini
    juice from 1 squeezed lemons
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 tablespoon + 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    salt
    olive oil
    parsley
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Yes, at the time you grind them, the nuts don't know who roasted them. As long as they're tasty as nuts, they'll be fine as butter.

My preference is for almonds, roasted a little less long and ground fairly coarse.
    I figured, but there was a recipe for sunflower butter I noticed that warned not to use pretoasted nuts.
    crazyravr wrote: »
    When I make almond butter, lets say, I always use half raw and half roasted. Gives it a nice flavour.
    Raw, roasted, so many options! Why did I wait this long to make some nut butters.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Grind sesame seeds (tahini) to add to mix with chic peas for home made hummus.
    http://humus101.com/EN/2015/09/15/hummus-recipe/
    Ingredients

[4 extra-large bowls of Hummus]

1 cups dried chickpeas (the smallest you can find)
    1/2 cup tahini
    juice from 1 squeezed lemons
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 tablespoon + 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    salt
    olive oil
    parsley
    This sounds like something interesting to make on a day off. Thanks!

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If roasted read the ingredient list to make sure good fats are used. Sometimes they even use hydrogenated fats.