Your thoughts on a Christmas Meal freebie?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    One meal won't make you thin and one meal won't make you fat.

You can't lose 1 pound of fat in a day but you can definitely gain 1 pound in a day (especially if drinks are involved), so not accurate at all.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'll probably log, estimate as best as I can but I will have a drink or two, eat what I like. Not worried if I go over calories, it's one day. However..... I will not 'stuff' myself just because there will be treats. I don't want to feel bad because I eat or drink to much. I want to enjoy the holiday and the company and the food
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The Nathans hot dog eating contest people eat 25,000 plus calories (7.14 lbs at 3500 calories a pound) in minutes I doubt humans have the enzimes to process that many calories don't even want to think where all of that stuff goes in 24 hours.

Gaining a pound or five of fat doesn't make you fat.. I could put on 15 lbs right now and still look awesome just not as cut..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

You can't lose 1 pound of fat in a day but you can definitely gain 1 pound in a day (especially if drinks are involved), so not accurate at all.

1 lb isn't going to make me fat.

I am guessing I'll probably gain 2 kg (almost 5 lb) over the next couple weeks of eating. But it won't make me fat. In fact, a few people will probably breathe a sigh of relief because I won't look quite so thin to them.

I would have to gain 12 kilograms before I crossed the border into overweight again ... and 2 weeks of eating maybe 500 cal over maintenance isn't going to do it.

Especially not if I exercise as much as I hope to. :)

I just added it up, and on Day 1 of my 2-week diet break (yesterday) I ate 2400 cal ... about 450 cal over, after calculating in my exercise. And I felt so incredibly and uncomfortably full. That's probably going to be my daily upper limit over the next two weeks.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Gaining 1 lb, even if it is fat and not water, is well within normal fluctuations.

We have multiple events with different friends and parts of the family in the next week. Last year I logged but didn't restrict myself and my weekly total was about 3,000 cals over goal (deficit). This year I'm in maintenance but even still, if I'm over, it isn't going to undo my 30 lbs loss.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

You CAN lose 1 pound in a day, AND you can gain 1 pound, (and even more) these are normal daily fluctuations in weight. Fact.

Overeating for one day will not be an issue, unless we let it become a daily habit for an extended period of days, weeks or months. If you go back to eating at a deficit, you will continue to lose.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Gaining one pound does not make you fat any more than losing one pound makes you thin.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    We're hosting a Christmas Day Potluck and the menu is already stacked with lots of carbs, cheese, sugar, fat and booze. I'm planning on sticking to my meal replacement smoothies for breakfast and lunch, then allowing indulgence for dinner. Good idea? Bad idea? How strict is everyone else going to be with Christmas dinner?

Me, I am gong to work out a bit more everyday.
    Then I am going to have a healthy dinner, before the holiday dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Gaining one pound does not make you fat any more than losing one pound makes you thin.

Doesn't matter. Semantics. My point is that you can undo a week's worth of effort in one day easily, but you won't progress a week's worth in one day. So the saying just rubs me the wrong way.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this - If I ate a total of 3500 over maintenance over a couple of days at Christmas, would I gain a pound of fat, or can the human body not convert energy to fat that fast?

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Our bodies change so much is there even a way to measure truly accurately.. No.. I know if I eat 16 ounces of steak I weigh one pound heavier after the last bite is that because I gained weight yes technically but will it last in 24 hours No..
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter. Semantics. My point is that you can undo a week's worth of effort in one day easily, but you won't progress a week's worth in one day. So the saying just rubs me the wrong way.

If someone is walking such a fine line of self discipline that one day of indulgence will derail them, I sincerely pity them. Regaining one's ideal weight and fitness is a life long journey, and should not involve self-deprecation for a slip.

I choose to live my life guilt free in happiness and with reasonable self-discipline. One day of indulgence is not a crime and is insignificant when considering there are 364 other days in the year.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Everything in moderation!

That being said, I'm not going to stop myself from dipping my hand into the candy dish for some peanut m&m's, or pouring myself a glass of wine when it's Christmas.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this - If I ate a total of 3500 over maintenance over a couple of days at Christmas, would I gain a pound of fat, or can the human body not convert energy to fat that fast?

You may gain a pound of weight.

Remember that food has weight to it.

Try this. Get up in the morning and use the toilet, then weigh yourself naked.

Now go and drink 500 ml of water.

Now go and weigh yourself again.

Chances are you'll weigh 500 grams more than you did during your first weigh-in.

Wait an hour or so, don't eat or drink anything, use the toilet again and weigh yourself again. You may discover that you've lost some or all of those 500 grams.

We weigh our food to make sure we're eating the right number of calories ... 100 grams of this, 200 grams of that. That's all weight which goes into our systems for a while and adds to our body weight.

I can gain and lose a pound or two in a day just depending on the weight of what I've eaten and had to drink, and how much of it I have "processed".

So it can be tricky ... if you overate at Christmas dinner, and appear to have gained weight the next day, is it just the weight of the food and drink? And if your food was particularly salty, your body could be retaining some of the liquid you drank. Or is it your weight?

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You may gain a pound of weight.

Remember that food has weight to it.

Try this. Get up in the morning and use the toilet, then weigh yourself naked.

Now go and drink 500 ml of water.

Now go and weigh yourself again.

Chances are you'll weigh 500 grams more than you did during your first weigh-in.

Wait an hour or so, don't eat or drink anything, use the toilet again and weigh yourself again. You may discover that you've lost some or all of those 500 grams.

We weigh our food to make sure we're eating the right number of calories ... 100 grams of this, 200 grams of that. That's all weight which goes into our systems for a while and adds to our body weight.

I can gain and lose a pound or two in a day just depending on the weight of what I've eaten and had to drink, and how much of it I have "processed".

So it can be tricky ... if you overate at Christmas dinner, and appear to have gained weight the next day, is it just the weight of the food and drink? And if your food was particularly salty, your body could be retaining some of the liquid you drank. Or is it your weight?

Only if you don't over indulge with carbs and sodium as they have a nasty habit of absorbing the water.