How much cardio and/or strength training should I do to slim down?

Options
Hello. I am fairly new to exercise and was wondering how much cardio and / or strength training per week is best to lose weight and slim down? I'm a woman trying to lose about 12 pounds and eliminate excess fat (I have the most fat on my belly).

I have a gym membership where I go to Zumba and Spinning 2 - 3 times per week. Along with calorie counting I've lost on average 1 pound per week in the last 4 weeks.

Should I add strength training and if so how much? Should I take a class like Kettleballs, try out the weight equipment or are there any online videos I could follow (preferably to good music). Thanks in advance!

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try out several different things, because the best exercise is the one you'll actually do.

In the short term, cardio will burn more calories, which means more fat lost. In the long term, strength will build more muscle, which will help keep the fat from coming back. If you like both, no reason not to do both (I do). Just make sure you listen to your body when it tells you you're doing too much.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    lepeep717 wrote: »
    Hello. I am fairly new to exercise and was wondering how much cardio and / or strength training per week is best to lose weight and slim down? I'm a woman trying to lose about 12 pounds and eliminate excess fat (I have the most fat on my belly).

I have a gym membership where I go to Zumba and Spinning 2 - 3 times per week. Along with calorie counting I've lost on average 1 pound per week in the last 4 weeks.

Should I add strength training and if so how much? Should I take a class like Kettleballs, try out the weight equipment or are there any online videos I could follow (preferably to good music). Thanks in advance!

Strength training would be good to help retain as much muscle as you can while you are on a calorie deficit. The body will burn through whatever it can to lose weight for fuel - muscle, fat, glycogen.... What to work on with weights? Machines are fine as would a Kettlebell class. Core work, legs, upper body - just ease into the first couple of weeks to adapt.

Sounds like you are on the right path averaging a pound loss per week. Keep up the deficit to get rid of those remaining 12 pounds as the stomach area can be the "last" area that finally gives in to the deficit for both men and women. You can certainly use both cardio and strength training to increase the CO side of CICO equation. The rate you are losing is a very good rate as it is. Keep in mind that with weight work you will have some water retention that might look like you have stalled on the scale from time ttime, but keep measuring your inches to see the loss in the stomach area.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i would suggest looking into a good beginner lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine which will give you a good introduction to compound movement and build a foundation of strength.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I personally would recommend a weight training program in conjunction with your cardio. As mentioned above, a weight training program will help retain the muscle mass you have, and gain some in some cases. The more muscle you retain or gain, the better your overall fat burn. Hold onto that muscle and you will find it less difficult to keep that 1 lb a week loss going. If you continually lose muscle, as most do while on a caloric deficit, the loss will slow down as there is less fat to burn. You're doing well if you're averaging 1 lb a week so you're doing something right. However, you want to make sure that loss isn't a lot of your muscle too. How much and how intense your weight program is will be up to you. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. There are plenty of lifting programs online, some programs that come to mind to look at are:

5X5 program
    German Volume program
    FST-7 program
    Upper/Lower Split training regimen
    Full Body Workout

The first three may be a little difficult for beginners, the second to last is your basic program that a lot of lifters use and the last is typically the go to for a lot of women that don't particularly want to do a body part focused routine. There are plenty of programs that adopt a lot of these features and videos that give you instruction. Google is your friend.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Strength training would be good to help retain as much muscle as you can while you are on a calorie deficit. The body will burn through whatever it can to lose weight for fuel - muscle, fat, glycogen.... What to work on with weights? Machines are fine as would a Kettlebell class. Core work, legs, upper body - just ease into the first couple of weeks to adapt.

Sounds like you are on the right path averaging a pound loss per week. Keep up the deficit to get rid of those remaining 12 pounds as the stomach area can be the "last" area that finally gives in to the deficit for both men and women. You can certainly use both cardio and strength training to increase the CO side of CICO equation. The rate you are losing is a very good rate as it is. Keep in mind that with weight work you will have some water retention that might look like you have stalled on the scale from time ttime, but keep measuring your inches to see the loss in the stomach area.

This. Try out a couple of different strength workouts and see what you like. If you're going to do weight machines or free weights (aka, not a class), see if you can find a progressive program designed to help you consistently improve your strength. This is a good resource: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I personally would recommend a weight training program in conjunction with your cardio. As mentioned above, a weight training program will help retain the muscle mass you have, and gain some in some cases. The more muscle you retain or gain, the better your overall fat burn. Hold onto that muscle and you will find it less difficult to keep that 1 lb a week loss going. If you continually lose muscle, as most do while on a caloric deficit, the loss will slow down as there is less fat to burn. You're doing well if you're averaging 1 lb a week so you're doing something right. However, you want to make sure that loss isn't a lot of your muscle too. How much and how intense your weight program is will be up to you. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. There are plenty of lifting programs online, some programs that come to mind to look at are:

5X5 program
    German Volume program
    FST-7 program
    Upper/Lower Split training regimen
    Full Body Workout

The first three may be a little difficult for beginners, the second to last is your basic program that a lot of lifters use and the last is typically the go to for a lot of women that don't particularly want to do a body part focused routine. There are plenty of programs that adopt a lot of these features and videos that give you instruction. Google is your friend.

I don't disagree with what you are saying..however, I am not sure why you would recommend German volume training to someone who is an obvious beginner...

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I would recommend weight training because many people end up disliking how they look after they lose weight. People usually think, hey if I lost all this fat then I can look like one of those sexy models or actresses. They attempt to achieve these goals by starving themselves (maybe a bunch of cardio added in for good measure) and what they end up is with a skinny boney person with a bunch of hanging skin around it.

The sexy curves many women seek is actually a result of muscular redenfinition. To do this, you have to not only lose the body fat, but also replace it with muscle. As many already said, you lift to retain the muscle (and in specific cases you can gain some muscle) during a calorie deficit and eat enough protein. If you really want to gain muscle, you actually have to (in most cases for long term development) lift while eating at a slight calorie surplus with enough protein.

So how do you lose fat and gain muscle? Ahh the Holy Grail. Unless you follow a really complicated "recomposition" plan, you have to lose the weight slowly while intermittenly concentrate on muscle development (cut/bulk method). Throughtout the entire cut/bulk period, you manage what you eat in terms of calories, lift heavily, and eat plenty of protein. You then go through periods of losing fat (eating at a slight calorie deficit) and alternate with periods of muscle development (eating at a slight calorie surplus).

Either method (recomposition or cut/bulk) will shrink the fat and slowly replace it with muscle so you don't look like a hanging skin of bones (that skinny fat look).

Offcourse, you could really make it easy by just accepting yourself and be happy with how your body looks naturally. But I just see it too many times on people's profiles that their goal is to look sexy naked and blah blah blah blah. If that is your thing, then gaining muscle will eventually have to be a part of your program. Whether you do it intermittingly as you lose weight, or afterwards after you look like a bag of skin and bones.
  • lepeep717
    lepeep717 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info! How many times per week should I do cardio, and how many times should I do strength training?
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you want to look good, weight lifting is your go to.

Weight lifting = body composition
    Cardio = heart health
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginning program. There's even an app.