Is it worth getting weight loss pills?

Options
I was looking for something to help boost my weight loss and the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Would it be worth getting? Some did also promote fat burning.
Have any of you tried any weight loss pills? What were your results?

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    By "getting pills" do you mean talking to your physician and having something prescribed and monitored? If so, that is not the path I've chosen, but I can't fault your for it.

If you mean buying something sold on Facebook or and over the counter supplements, save your money. If those things worked, they would be considered drugs that would require a prescription. They are ineffective at best and dangerous at worst. Be careful.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Waste of money and potentially dangerous to your health. There's no quick fix, put in the work and you'll get results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    What do you learn from them? How does it actually teach you to habitually change your current habits? There is no such thing as a "fat burning" pill. Things you should think of before purchasing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Newp. Most of them are basically legal speed.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If pills existed that guaranteed weight loss, Oprah wouldn't be fat.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    xNausicaa wrote: »
    I was looking for something to help boost my weight loss and the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Would it be worth getting? Some did also promote fat burning.
    Have any of you tried any weight loss pills? What were your results?

Hi
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello iv spent loads of money tried them all.NOTHING works except hard work and determination you put in
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    xNausicaa wrote: »
    the main aspect every pill advertised was it being an appetite suppressant. I don't mind that, but regardless I still am going to eat my daily three meals.

Hi Hun
    A couple of points to note:
    1. There are no fat burners- that's woo!
    2. Prescribed weight loss pills are amphetamines (same as Adderall/ Concerta etc. too) . They reduce your appetite and that's why you lose weight. You may have every intention of eating 3 meals whilst taking them - but have you ever taken amphetamines? They make it almost impossible to face eating, you just can't stomach it.

So , some things to consider.

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Every time I see someone mention this my mind flashes back to a story I read on a British newspaper site about a young woman who bought "fat burning diet pills". Oh, they burned fat all right. They burned everything else too, from the inside out, a horrible, drawn out and painful death.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I saw that too- they were some sort of industrial chemical that some body builders use before competitions and a tiny amount can cause a horrific death. Just shocking and so upsetting.

Also the tv documentary about celeb autopsies found that karen carpenter was a healthy weight when she died- it was the weight loss pills ( various meds) that caused her heart attack. Scary.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are weight loss pills worth getting? - No.

It's not just about weight loss, it's about lifestyle change. Get more active and make better food choices, I'm not saying enter a marathon and eat lettuce but park further away from the shop, take the stairs, learn a bit about nutrition and use protein and fibre to keep you fuller rather than running to the medicine cabinet.

You will lose weight but it needs to come from you, it's one hell of a rollercoaster and it sure as hell won't go smoothly but doing it the right way is better in the long run and you have a way better chance of staying thin than if you make a change to your daily life for a short period of time (and that applies to fad diets as well as pills etc).
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No.

They will give you no long term benefits. Eat at a deficit, and the weight will come off. Sure it may come off slower than you'd like, but it will come off. Be patient.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sure if you want to throw away money, possibly cause harm to your body and lose only water weight
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tried Adios which say they increase your metabolism - I definitely don't recommend them! I got heart palpitations (occasionally still do), couldn't sleep and it was pretty scary. I'd never try anything like that again. Diet and exercise is the way forward. Good luck with your journey.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I tried some Jillian Michael's ones a few years ago and all they did was make me sick to my stomach. I'm still fat btw.
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP as tempting as it is, I'd steer clear of them.

Everyone I know that has taken a weight loss supplement has lost weight BUT they end up piling on almost twice as much weight once they stop taking them!

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You'll notice diet aids always have the caveat "along with a balanced diet and exercise." That tells you what's doing the actual work.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    You will only burn fat in a calorific deficit. These pills will just jack your heart rate up.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    By "getting pills" do you mean talking to your physician and having something prescribed and monitored? If so, that is not the path I've chosen, but I can't fault your for it.

If you mean buying something sold on Facebook or and over the counter supplements, save your money. If those things worked, they would be considered drugs that would require a prescription. They are ineffective at best and dangerous at worst. Be careful.

Agreed. My doctor warned me other day telling me weight loss pills are very dangerous and really shouldnt be used. Even prescription ones are dangerous.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money or health on those pills. I took them years ago and did lose a little with the appetite suppressant but gain back all and then some. Plus some make your heart race which is scary. My friend lost a lot of weight losing them but her heart started acting weird after a while and now she's heavier than she ever was.