How to think like a runner?

Options
2»

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Don't think, just do ;-)

I used to be oh so worried about tripping over my own feet, and what will other people think if they see me running etc.
    now I run, I don't think, if I do it's sassy comments about Sunday runners with their preppy outfits and lousy manners...

I still laugh every time I pass the halfway point where I turned back on my first day of c25k. What more of a motivation do you need other than seeing & knowing you are going further and further?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    For me, the trick was to go ahead and sign up for a 5k at the end of the C25K program. Knowing that I had already committed kept me motivated to work through the program, and when I (slowly) crossed the finish line for the first time, I realized that I really enjoyed what I had just done. Running alone is great, but nothing compares to running in a race for me. The running community is extremely friendly and super supportive. The people who finish first often jog back and cheer on those who are moving slower (because they can remember when they were at the back of the pack). Sign up for that first race. You'll be hooked by the end.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Have some good tunes to inspire you to pick up the pace.

Run in an area you feel comfortable (Park, bike path, beach, etc).

Don't beat yourself if you need mini walking breaks. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Get a fun app like Runtastic that will record your speed, distance & fun stats to keep you motivated!

I found it helped me to run with an experienced runner the first few times to give me pointers (i.e. She said I had to slow down or else I'd burn out. She told me my strides needed to be shorter & I needed to land lighter on my feet, more of a hop).