Ab workouts while gaining

Options
*Excuse my bro-science terminology, I'm new to this*. So im a deployed soldier and My goal is to come back home with a golden era asthetic body. I'm 177lbs right now but I want to get up to 185lbs(muscle mass). I definitely need to do some serious ab work but is it impossible to gain all that weight while trying to keep that cut asthetic look! Especially in the abs?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no, as you are going go gain some fat, but then you can cut it off after your bulk and reveal your muscles/abs…

if you aim for .5 a week gain it will minimize fat gains, but there is no way around gaining some fat.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    abs come and go depending on your bf%. As NDJ pointed out, adding weight will involve some fat gains, and after too much, you lose the abs. That doesn't mean quit doing the ab workouts... But the key here is understanding that all the ab work in the world won't result in an aesthetic look if you're in a big enough surplus. Focus on one goal at a time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Great advice from both of the people above.
  • ortiz11c
    ortiz11c Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dully noted guys, thanks!

We are required to do 2-a-days here, cardio and weightlifting. Would that also cause a problem gaining? Should I include some weights in my cardio?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ortiz11c wrote: »
    Dully noted guys, thanks!

We are required to do 2-a-days here, cardio and weightlifting. Would that also cause a problem gaining? Should I include some weights in my cardio?

Cardio is okay, and heart healthy as long as you maintain a surplus. Eat more, and yes, lift if you want.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    There's no point in losing weight to reveal non-developed abs. You should most definitely train abs and involve a lot of compound lifts when bulking to build the abdominal wall. They're just like every other muscle. They need to be worked to promote growth. I'd recommend weighted ab workouts, and then once you finish your bulk and cut down, you'll have a thicker abdominal wall to reveal
  • ortiz11c
    ortiz11c Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You guys have been a big help thank you! Appreciate it so much!