When do you stop?

Options
After 12 months I've finally lost 3lbs and hit my target weight of 126lbs. Im five foot and a 48 year old female. I think I should try and lose another 7lb...but my husband is concerned I'm becoming obsessive. Should I stay at this weight and maintain? I do feel healthy and happy but not sure if I should lose a bit more. ..any advice welcome thanks. :)

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    ** should say 35lbs lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What do you believe will happen over the next 7lbs? Eg what are you looking at that makes you think you still have 7lbs to lose?

I think only you can judge but happy and healthy are great descriptors

7lbs can also be your scale weight range as at any goal weight there are variances ...mine swings within 3-5lbs across the month ...I find trendweight.com a great aid in maintenance (also happyscale / libra are apps that give you trend and extrapolations)

Maybe working at finding a maintenance level and recomping from there will be a good route? I certainly found it tricky finding maintenance and actually dropped an additional 5lbs trying to

also the mental switch to maintenance can be tricky...when you're wrapped up in seeing the scale move and get that pleasure from dropping you need to find different goals...generally fitness related I think to keep you on the path

I'm 10 months into maintenance and still log daily
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I read 3lbs and was like whaaattt! lol

How do you feel? You say that you feel healthy and happy and if so, try maintaining for a while. You can always work to lose the last 7lbs later if you think you should.

Take care and great work on the weight loss!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You will still need to lose maybe 5 lbs from now to allow for the gain in water/glycogen/bodywaste that will happen when you increase your calories to maintenance level.

Aiming for 7lbs less is a good strategy because that is a BMI of 23.2 for you, and nicely healthy. Adding the waste/water etc won't matter but it will keep hubby happy. :)

Congrats on getting to this stage! Well done.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    You will still need to lose maybe 5 lbs from now to allow for the gain in water/glycogen/bodywaste that will happen when you increase your calories to maintenance level.

Aiming for 7lbs less is a good strategy because that is a BMI of 23.2 for you, and nicely healthy. Adding the waste/water etc won't matter but it will keep hubby happy. :)

Congrats on getting to this stage! Well done.

That first bit is not necessarily true and depends very much on whether she's been playing with her carb macro during defecit ...i certainly didn't get any water upswing

I also, without meaning to be picky, don't think mid BMI is any more healthy than any other point on the macro-population range it's just a easy call-out for dieting gurus and websites really. My own BMI is 24 for instance ...I believe body composition, genetics,bone density and frame size have a lot to say about where you fall within / outside the range unless we are talking about lower limits