weighing food

Options
I got a food scale for Christmas and want to start weighing my food. I am sure this question has been asked a million times but here is one million and one.... do i weigh meats before or after cooking... what about veggies and other foods?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weigh everything raw
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weigh everything raw

yep. and log it as 'raw'
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's generally much easier to weigh before cooking for most things, especial pasta & rice!
    I personally try to be as accurate as possible when measuring fats & other energy dense foods, whereas with the likes of raw veggies you can afford to be little more slap dash. The reason, say 100g olive oil has 884kcals and 100g carrots have 41kcals, if I accidentally put an extra 1g (nothing) in with the oil that's 9kcals, but only 1/2kcal if it were carrots.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Raw if possible. If not, use 'cooked' entries.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This used to be very confusing, because there were no standards or guidelines, and different manufacturers and sellers did things different ways.

In 2012, the government began requiring that meat and poultry have nutrition labels for the first time. And those labels have the nutrition information for RAW meat, not cooked.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kdblpn wrote: »
    I got a food scale for Christmas and want to start weighing my food. I am sure this question has been asked a million times but here is one million and one.... do i weigh meats before or after cooking... what about veggies and other foods?

Did you get a time machine too? :)
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Before cooking, unless you're using a pack of bacon or something where the nutritional info is specifically listed as 'cooked'. I ended up with a lot of '-5G, fats' in my diary whenever I cooked bacon before I realised!