What diet has everyone had most success on in the past?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    In the past? NONE.
    In the present, Calorie Counting with MFP. 76 lbs down (plus 25 from pregnancy because I had a baby in the time I've been logging on MFP).

OMG! wow 76lbs! That's amazing, good for you! Was that also with exercise?

Before Pregnancy, yes. After pregnancy.. not so much, lol. My baby is 11 months old now and I can barely get to the gym twice a week, if that. I take it day by day.
  • Joy_n_Almonds
    Joy_n_Almonds Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I don't buy into diets . I know that weight loss comes down to calories. Unless someone has a medical condition, it makes no difference what foods they pick. As long as your eating less then you burn then you'll lose weight.
    For me personally, the keto diet looks disgusting. I've browsed many diaries on here of the keto krew and IMO , 600 cals per day of whipping cream ,pepperoni and a hot dog is not a well balanced diet. ( I know all keto people don't eat as I have described above, I'm just speaking of the few diaries that I browsed. )
    I would much rather eat a well balanced diet and include a large variety of foods. I also include treats daily within my calories and macros.
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Cico. I prefer a well balanced diet that includes all the foods I love. I use moderation and portion control . I've lost all my weight and have been able to keep it off doing this.
    I don't buy into diets . I know that weight loss comes down to calories. Unless someone has a medical condition, it makes no difference what foods they pick. As long as your eating less then you burn then you'll lose weight.
    For me personally, the keto diet looks disgusting. I've browsed many diaries on here of the keto krew and IMO , 600 cals per day of whipping cream ,pepperoni and a hot dog is not a well balanced diet. ( I know all keto people don't eat as I have described above, I'm just speaking of the few diaries that I browsed. )
    I would much rather eat a well balanced diet and include a large variety of foods. I also include treats daily within my calories and macros.
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Cico. I prefer a well balanced diet that includes all the foods I love. I use moderation and portion control . I've lost all my weight and have been able to keep it off doing this.

I started the keto diet because it seemed fairly easy to do as in i didnt need much help picking what foods i can and cant eat, but like you said it was a little disgusting. I was consuming way too many calories as well. I am thinking of trying the 21 day fix. I think it will help me with my portions which I have a really hard time controling as well as getting in a balanced diet, which i need help with. Would the 21 day fix be considered eating clean? I have heard some really good things about "clean eating" and curious.

A money saving tip: if you are curious about the 21 day fix, buy cheap containers and ziplock bags and portion your food accordingly. The program is basically an exercise DVD (plenty of free exercise videos on Youtube) a few containers, and a shake. Unless you wish to rely on shakes during your diet, this is not the right approach.

"Clean eating" is a poorly defined concept that generally means having the majority of your food be from sources that undergo the least amount of processing. The general idea is that such foods tend to be lower in calories and richer in nutrients. There are a few problems with this concept though that I prefer not to get into (it's usually a hot topic that creates a lot of debate and derails threads.)

My personal advice to you: you don't need to follow any certain diet. 21 day fix is not good at preparing you well for real life scenarios, and neither are many "names diets". The best way to learn about portions, how to control your calories and how to navigate social situations is by buying a food scale and logging your foods in this app, trying to stay within your budgeted calories, then adjust your strategies accordingly.

Thank you. I am pretty sure I will be buying a scale soon. I have never used one before and from what everyone says it seems to help out a lot. I didn't want to buy the 21 day fix so I watched the infomercial and looked up the American heart association recommended daily serving sizes and bought various containers to mimmick the ones that come with the 21 day fix. I really want to eventually be able to do it all on my own, without the containers but I think it would be a good start this way to at least be able to see physically how much is an ounce of salad or an ounce of meat or oatmeal, etc. I like the idea of putting what goes into the container is what goes into my mouth and only a certain number of each. IDK, I like the concept and think its worth a try. Long term I don't think its practical but may help get me to where I need to be.

Has anyone tried the 21 day fix reading this? Thoughts?

I love the workouts (still do them every once and awhile), the eating plan is a waste of time. Just color coded over-priced tupperware.

Plugging my numbers into MFP and using a food scale worked for me. There is a learning curve to figuring out which foods leave you filled up and which are a waste of your calories, but once you figure that out, you have a plan for the rest of your life.

Is there a specific brand scale you can recommend?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I started the keto diet because it seemed fairly easy to do as in i didnt need much help picking what foods i can and cant eat, but like you said it was a little disgusting. I was consuming way too many calories as well. I am thinking of trying the 21 day fix. I think it will help me with my portions which I have a really hard time controling as well as getting in a balanced diet, which i need help with. Would the 21 day fix be considered eating clean? I have heard some really good things about "clean eating" and curious.

A money saving tip: if you are curious about the 21 day fix, buy cheap containers and ziplock bags and portion your food accordingly. The program is basically an exercise DVD (plenty of free exercise videos on Youtube) a few containers, and a shake. Unless you wish to rely on shakes during your diet, this is not the right approach.

"Clean eating" is a poorly defined concept that generally means having the majority of your food be from sources that undergo the least amount of processing. The general idea is that such foods tend to be lower in calories and richer in nutrients. There are a few problems with this concept though that I prefer not to get into (it's usually a hot topic that creates a lot of debate and derails threads.)

My personal advice to you: you don't need to follow any certain diet. 21 day fix is not good at preparing you well for real life scenarios, and neither are many "names diets". The best way to learn about portions, how to control your calories and how to navigate social situations is by buying a food scale and logging your foods in this app, trying to stay within your budgeted calories, then adjust your strategies accordingly.

Thank you. I am pretty sure I will be buying a scale soon. I have never used one before and from what everyone says it seems to help out a lot. I didn't want to buy the 21 day fix so I watched the infomercial and looked up the American heart association recommended daily serving sizes and bought various containers to mimmick the ones that come with the 21 day fix. I really want to eventually be able to do it all on my own, without the containers but I think it would be a good start this way to at least be able to see physically how much is an ounce of salad or an ounce of meat or oatmeal, etc. I like the idea of putting what goes into the container is what goes into my mouth and only a certain number of each. IDK, I like the concept and think its worth a try. Long term I don't think its practical but may help get me to where I need to be.

I love the workouts (still do them every once and awhile), the eating plan is a waste of time. Just color coded over-priced tupperware.

Plugging my numbers into MFP and using a food scale worked for me. There is a learning curve to figuring out which foods leave you filled up and which are a waste of your calories, but once you figure that out, you have a plan for the rest of your life.

I paid $15 on Amazon, not sure the brand. Just make sure it's digital, has a tare function, and I got a small one so I can leave it out on the counter permanently :)
  • Joy_n_Almonds
    Options
    In the past? NONE.
    In the present, Calorie Counting with MFP. 76 lbs down (plus 25 from pregnancy because I had a baby in the time I've been logging on MFP).

OMG! wow 76lbs! That's amazing, good for you! Was that also with exercise?

Before Pregnancy, yes. After pregnancy.. not so much, lol. My baby is 11 months old now and I can barely get to the gym twice a week, if that. I take it day by day.

lol I hear you! I have two school age boys and they give me a run for my money! It is hard with after school activities to make it to the gym. Which is why I just joined a gym that is closer to me, its going to help shave off 15 minutes driving time, and every minute counts.
  • Joy_n_Almonds
    Options

I paid $15 on Amazon, not sure the brand. Just make sure it's digital, has a tare function, and I got a small one so I can leave it out on the counter permanently :)

Thanks! I'll check out amazon. $15 is definitely doable!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    The non-diet diet. The only change I've made to what I eat is how much of it I eat. And I move more.

^^so this, you will find yourself making small changes over time so you get more bang for your buck so to speak. (Good example for me is not having sugar in my porridge so I can use those cals elsewhere).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm having great success with the eat-whatever-I-want but keep calories at a set level, plus exercise more diet. For personal reasons, I also make sure to get my fiber.
  • Neonblu_
    Neonblu_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    High carb low fat vegan makes me feel amazing and lose weight. It just makes me feel so healthy. But usually for everyone plain calories in and calories out is always the answer. HCLF just helps me stick to cals and feel good!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

LOL if you found keto "disgusting" you really should skip a high fat diet... Overeating foods you don't like is unusual.

It was a little disgusting seeing all the fat, especially the bacon lol. Don't get me wrong I really like bacon, but just seeing all the fat cooking and all the meat I was eating was a little disgusting. I am not really a big meat eater, and probably why the diet didn't work out for me lol. I will try almost anything once and this was not the one for me.

Gotcha. If keto does still interest you you may want to consider a lower meat version. Protein is usually moderate on a keto diet ; my meat intake hasn't changed much. There are keto vegetarians out there. On the other hand, if keto is not your thing, I agree moving on now is for the best.

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ehrv01 wrote: »
    High carb low fat vegan makes me feel amazing and lose weight. It just makes me feel so healthy. But usually for everyone plain calories in and calories out is always the answer. HCLF just helps me stick to cals and feel good!

For how long have you been doing this?
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    any "diet" will only be successful if you burn more than you consume. simple as that. so why restrict yourself on what you can eat and just do the calories in vs calories out lifestyle change.
  • Joy_n_Almonds
    Options
    ehrv01 wrote: »

Do you have any favorite recipe books or any websites for this type of "diet"? I can google, I know, but wondering if you have any favorite sites/picks that would be helpful.
  • Joy_n_Almonds
    Options
    1) count your calories and be honest about it, 2) eat balanced nutritious meals with fruits and veggies with every meal, 3) make protein the hero of your meals, 4) stop justifying crap food. Yes, you can hit your macros at McDonalds, we're all so impressed, but try to eat real food the majority of the time. (no I won't get dragged into an endless debate about this). 5) sometimes, just let it go and enjoy life.

;)
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    All the diets I've tried worked. I'm the one that dropped the ball.
  • Jillasmar
    Jillasmar Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Low carb high protein