"drive through disasters!"

Options
Went my starbucks this AM, intending to get a LIGHT Mocha Frapp. I get almost to work, and take a sip, thinking it sure does taste sweet to be made with sugar free syrups and non-fat milk. I look at the Label on the cup, and they gave me a WHITE Mocha frapp. This is not the first time this has happened either! :( Perhaps I'm just really southern and they don't understand me? LOL

I would have taken it back, were it not for the fact I had to get to work quick like. I gave it to a co-worker, and I sure am glad I did. That thing boasts 470c, 18f, 59s! Just think, had I drank it, that would be as much as, and MORE calories than some of my meals!!!

I honestly think I am going to call the local store and let them know about the multiple mess ups I have had. I know, I should check the label before driving off, but I also feel that they should repeat orders to ensure they have them right the first time.

Do you have problems dining out with your specific dietary needs? What problems have you had? Do you have them correct their mistakes, or do you just eat it and make up for it during the week? Tell me about your stories!

Replies

• Doxeydoxie
    Doxeydoxie Posts: 75
    Options
    Mine would be giving me a "regular" coke instead of my "must have" diet coke! And YES you can tell the difference. Usually in a hurry also and don't realize it until I've driven off. :grumble:
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Haha, I feel your pain on this!

The word 'skinny' for example, appears to mean 'skimmed milk' / 'no fat milk' in some coffee shops, but 'whatever milk is closest' in others!

I genuinely love a quality, lovingly made coffee with whole milk, its a luxury, but day to day it needs to be skimmed, and when I taste it and know that they've ignored my request, it really gets to me!

Sounds like a lot of bother over nothing, but yeah its a pet hate!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    "no cheese, please"..... I alwayss...*always* have to give the caveat that I'm "allergic" to cheese (they don't know what lactose intolerant means), otherwise they take one look at me and think I need it, so give it to me anyway. /facepalm
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you call Starbucks, they will probably give you a free drink on your next visit, so definitely do that.

I once ordered a Decaf Non-Fat Misto with two splenda, they made me Decaf Non-Fat *Mocha* with 2 splenda. OMG it was so sweet, I gagged!

Had a similar experience at McDonald's last night. I ordered an unsweet tea, happily added my two splenda, only to realize they had given me a sweet tea! Straight into the trash it went - blah!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not that I drink it much but if I ever order Diet Coke, they don't bother and just do normal.
    I can tell the difference and I have never liked regular since I was a child. Though I only complain when they do it with my dad. It's rare he orders it but he is diabetic and to get regular over diet is a little more serious than just preferring it.

My boyfriend gets so angry when they give him a Fillet Burger instead of a Fillet TOWER burger... like crazy angry haha
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I always order "un-sweet" tea from S***C, and cannot count how often I have gotten a half mile down the street and discovered it was sweet..... yes I do go back and make them do it right :)
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Starbucks will remake any drink for free if it's not done right the first time. If you notice before you leave, definitely tell them. And if you call the manager and make it to just inform them and suggest orders being repeated back to you, they will likely offer a free one next time you're in anyway.

I always taste and check my drink before I leave because I've had baristas let the shot expire before adding the milk (leaves an ashtray taste to the drink), when this happens I have them remake it.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I used to work at a Dairy Queen, most of the time doing the Drive-Thru. Sometimes, I misheard people. It happens. HOWEVER...it is common courtesy to ALWAYS repeat the order that you have on the screen BACK to the customer. If someone is taking your order and they don't confirm it back to you, ask them to do that! Takes no time at all and should be what they're supposed to do anyway. It's what prevents those sorts of mess-ups! Just a tip. ^_^

On that note, let me tell you about one from the other side.

I took this order one time and got all the way to the end calling this person a "sir." She looked at me, hurt, and told me she was a woman. She had a very gruff voice, short hair and dressed in clothing that didn't accentuate...y'know. I WAS MORTIFIED. How is "sorry" even enough after that?!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I took this order one time and got all the way to the end calling this person a "sir." She looked at me, hurt, and told me she was a woman. She had a very gruff voice, short hair and dressed in clothing that didn't accentuate...y'know. I WAS MORTIFIED. How is "sorry" even enough after that?!

I had that happen to me when I worked at the Hertz reservations center. She replied "Do I sound like a man to you?" It was pretty embarrassing. I stopped using Sir & Ma'am after that.

:laugh:

And I agree about repeating things back. It really irks me when someone does not verify the order is correct.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, I think the better term to use at Starbucks would be "skinny" instead of "light". That means sugar free syrup, non fat milk and no whip. And I agree with the above poster, call and let them know or mention it next time you go through the drive thru.
  • Margaux102819
    Options
    I always order my tea with one milk/ one sugar. It's kinda a treat when I get Timmie's coffee on the weekend. The rest of the time it's a teapot at home, and strait herbal.

There's been lots of times where they put cream in my tea. It tastes horrid :(
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Funny story: I have a diabetic friend. When ordering a unsweet tea from McDonalds, there was many times he would get sweetened. He finally called mcdonalds, asking them to be more aware of people with dietary needs, they may not can have sugar, etc.

they reported it to corporate, and to compensate for his time.....gave him a coupon for a free ice cream cone! LOLOL

SMH!

I will be calling today, to hopefully be compensated for my 5 dollar coffee ;) and also to suggest they repeat orders back, if not at the speaker, at least at the window.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I get a vanilla latte with skim milk at Starbucks and apparently that means sugar free syrup also. I hate the artificial sweeteners that are in the skinny lattes. This only happens in the drive through, though...
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hate it when it's things that aren't immediately noticable...like ordering a grilled chicken sandwich and opening the wrapper only to find a fried one. Or when you order a steak quesadilla and you bite into it only to find out it's chicken. Ruins your day.

But I think my biggest pet peeve is the perceived "bonus" items. Oops, we accidently put a hash brown in with your McMuffin that you didn't order...bonus for you! Um, no. Take it back please...I didn't order it because I don't want it. Or when they accidently make you a large instead of a medium beverage and they're all like, welp, more for you for FREE and I'm all, but now I have to try to remember to not finish the whole thing or you just screwed up my cal counts for the day.

Alas, my First World, Fat Person Problems.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Yup! I went to Hardees last week and got a lowcarb thickburger and a giant diet dr pepper. It fit my macros.

Anyway, as I am driving back to work I take a sip and it was totally regular Dr Pepper. I dumped out out the window and I wasnt going to turn around. PITA!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Had a similar experience at McDonald's last night. I ordered an unsweet tea, happily added my two splenda, only to realize they had given me a sweet tea! Straight into the trash it went - blah!
    That happens a lot at McDonald's. I've learned to always taste my tea before adding Splenda.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

I had that happen to me when I worked at the Hertz reservations center. She replied "Do I sound like a man to you?" It was pretty embarrassing. I stopped using Sir & Ma'am after that.

:laugh:

And I agree about repeating things back. It really irks me when someone does not verify the order is correct.

Haha! Someone that understands. Love it.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was halfway to the train the other day when I realized that my supposedly "no sugar, black iced coffee" was LOADED with sugar. I nearly spit it out it was so sweet and unexpected. Gross gross gross.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this counts, but we have a little pizza place around where I live, (I'm pretty sure it's a local place), my dad always orders a sandwich without cheese, (not dietary reasons, he just doesn't like cheese), unlike my mom and I. He's never is too happy to find it, in the end, with cheese on it. It's happened several times.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this counts, but we have a little pizza place around where I live, (I'm pretty sure it's a local place), my dad always orders a sandwich without cheese, (not dietary reasons, he just doesn't like cheese), unlike my mom and I. He's never is too happy to find it, in the end, with cheese on it. It's happened several times.

I know how that goes! Sometimes, i want a meal minus it's meat: it's healthier, and I'm not the hugest meat fan. They look at you like you are insane when you order a hamburger with no burger LOL.

I called Starbucks yesterday and spoke with the manager. They apologized and said it was their policy to repeat orders back to the customers, and he would reiterate that to the employees. He took down my name, and this morning I was able to get my 130 calorie (NOT almost 500!!!) tasty drink. And I'm glad I got it today, it's a nice treat to start the weekend. :)