Food that can last for hours w/o fridge?

Options
Does anyone have any ideas on foods that I can pack in the morning to eat for dinner?

I sometimes have really busy days and came come home from the morning until 10pm/midnight.

I have access to microwaves and boiling water when I'm away but no fridge. Is there any ideas that you have that I can eat that won't spoil from 8am to 5pm(ish)?

Also how well do you think those containers work that you can freeze?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I take an old empty water bottle, fill it with water and freeze it. It lasts all day (and then some) and keeps my food cold.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    does the ice packs with lunch boxes not help?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do Ice packs everyday
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I also ice pack. When I don't have time to pack a lunch/dinner I buy those tuna individual serving packets and a bread roll from the grocery store bakery to eat for lunch or dinner.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I've been making a really simple meal at work lately that doesn't require a fridge as long as it's short-term (<24hrs). Stouffer's has these little Macaroni & Cheese cups:

k2-_d54038cd-55fb-458f-92a4-d1a11465445c.v2.jpg

I mix one of those with 1/2 cup of white rice, which can be made in the microwave. I also add in a little hot (sriracha) sauce for extra flavor. It's really filling, and costs less than a dollar per meal. Best, it's also only about 350 calories total.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am used to carrying portable snacks that don't need a refrigerator. Here's my list.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

A main meal say, leftovers from the night before frozen in a mason jar and then taken for lunch/dinner will be partially defrosted by the time you are ready to microwave it.

I freeze the meal with the lid off and when frozen through (eight hours, say), put the lid on. Air shrinks as it gets colder and if you put the lid on before freezing, you may never get that sucker off!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I have a couple lunchbags that you can freeze. They work very well I have one style that zippers and another style that just folds over. The fold over one works well when it is completely closed - if you have it pretty full and there's a gap then it doesn't stay cold as long. You could always throw an ice pack in with it to keep cooler longer.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also freeze hummus, black bean dip and refried beans using a ziplock hack.

http://lunchinabox.net/2008/04/speed-tip-make-individual-portions-in-freezer-bags/

In the morning I simply snap off a square and put it in a dip-size container. I use these spreads on crackers.

I also pack edamame seed pods from frozen, ready later in the day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal...cheese...any kind of pasta or rice and veggies with a non-milk sauce (tomato or oil/vinegar or butter)...eggs don't require refrigeration and will cook up in the microwave pretty nicely as long as you stir them every 30 seconds while cooking...can tuna is pretty decent even without mayo but you could get mayo in shelf stable packets...peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (yum!)...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything, IMO. I dont really worry about refridgeration for a couple of hours. Then again, i regularly leave dinner on the stove over night and eat the leftovers for breakfast. Meats, dairy, carbs...whatever it is.

I would just toss everything in an insulated lunch bag, with an ice pack if you want, and call it good.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Ice packs are your friend!! I typically don't worry about refrigeration and have not died yet.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options

Ice packs are your friend!! I typically don't worry about refrigeration and have not died yet.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    This app is so frustrating. A whole post gone! I even copied the whole thing just in case it did not post right. I paste it into the box and hit reply and it still only posts part. Will try again.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hummus
    Fresh fruits and vegetables
    Cooked beans or lentils
    Vinegar based dressings
    Bread, tortillas
    Peanut butter
    Rice
    Pasta
    Granola
    Muffins
    Bagels
    Flavored tuna or salmon pouches
    Canned meats
    Summer sausage
    Oatmeal
    Pack frozen soup and reheat
    Canned soup
    Nuts, seeds, dried fruit, trail mix

Get an insulated lunch container, thermos, ice pack.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas on foods that I can pack in the morning to eat for dinner?

I sometimes have really busy days and came come home from the morning until 10pm/midnight.

I have access to microwaves and boiling water when I'm away but no fridge. Is there any ideas that you have that I can eat that won't spoil from 8am to 5pm(ish)?

Lol, chicken adobo. As long as it's in a container, you can leave it out on a counter the whole day (even 2) and it's still edible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Cans of tuna, I eat tuna like it's going out of fashion
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Tuna, turkey pepperoni, nuts, make your own trail mix, nut butters, pre-cooked bacon, protein bar, freeze a protein shake or smoothie and let it thaw while keeping your other food cold, fresh or frozen fruit, minute rice has rice cups you throw in the microwave, raw veggies, olives, pickles, beans.