Options
2»

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    moyen2 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to check out my local gym and then I'll probably be back with tons more questions.
    Yikes, just using the words "I" and "gym" in the same sentence gives me heart palpitations. Bad memories of junior high gym class!

One of the most awkward times of my life. And now I'm a gym rat.

Completely agree. The awkwardness lasted about a whole 5 minutes until I realized no one cared what I was doing there as long as I was being productive taking up the squat rack rather than wasting space when someone else could be using it. :wink:
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    @Bbg340 Very true.

@ndj1979 What are strong lifts if you don't mind me asking?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    It is an exercise routine focused on building muscle for beginners, focusing on compound (using lots of muscles at once) lifts.

Thank you:). So machines, not free-weights?

Absolutely free weights. Not machines.

This

It's about balance along with gaining strength and keeping your muscle while losing fat. I was also a weakling when I started lifting. I had also only lost about 30 lbs at that point. It's been two years and I'm still gaining strength with SL 5X5. I have the app on my smartphone and follow it to a T 3 days a week. I went from not being able to lift the bar (45 lbs) to being able to squat my own weight (180 ish) in a little over 6 months and still going strong.

Wow! Good for you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to check out my local gym and then I'll probably be back with tons more questions.
    Yikes, just using the words "I" and "gym" in the same sentence gives me heart palpitations. Bad memories of junior high gym class!

Completely agree. The awkwardness lasted about a whole 5 minutes until I realized no one cared what I was doing there as long as I was being productive taking up the squat rack rather than wasting space when someone else could be using it. :wink:

Yep. When I see someone new to lifting, a lot of times I can tell they are doing SL or Starting Strengths and I never judge. I'm so happy for them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you will be fine ...

just remember to walk in their like you own the place, re-rack your weights, and make sure to try and mind other members "gym space" aka - don't stand behind the person doing deadlifts or squats....

we are here to help if you have questions...

@SideSteel group "eat, train, progress" is a great resource....
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options

Well, we'll see. But that's nice to hear!
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I decided to go with a personal trainer for a while, since I am such a newbie and I found out I have a rotator cuff injury. I need someone educated, to help me work as hard as I can without worsening my injury. The gym I'm joining is two blocks from my house, not a large fancy place but it has a good feel to it. I got a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday so I'll probably wait until the new year, but I'm excited to start building some muscle!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I decided to go with a personal trainer for a while, since I am such a newbie and I found out I have a rotator cuff injury. I need someone educated, to help me work as hard as I can without worsening my injury. The gym I'm joining is two blocks from my house, not a large fancy place but it has a good feel to it. I got a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday so I'll probably wait until the new year, but I'm excited to start building some muscle!

sounds good …

just don't let the trainer steer you away from doing compound movements and trying to put you on machines or five pound dumbbells…if he/she does then get a new one ..

good luck
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

sounds good …

just don't let the trainer steer you away from doing compound movements and trying to put you on machines or five pound dumbbells…if he/she does then get a new one ..

good luck

Thanks!
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'd also suggest maybe adding Pilates to the routine, if you have an instructor in your area. I find it's really helped with my lifting as I gain flexibility and work out imbalances. Be aware though, forms of exercise can be like "religions", and your Pilates instructor might look down on strength training. My instructor, as good as she is, thinks women will get "big and bulky" doing weights. Hell, us men have trouble getting big naturally unless we're genetically predisposed.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Options
    T_X_L wrote: »
    I'd also suggest maybe adding Pilates to the routine, if you have an instructor in your area. I find it's really helped with my lifting as I gain flexibility and work out imbalances. Be aware though, forms of exercise can be like "religions", and your Pilates instructor might look down on strength training. My instructor, as good as she is, thinks women will get "big and bulky" doing weights. Hell, us men have trouble getting big naturally unless we're genetically predisposed.

I know what you mean. I train my dogs and compete with them and it's the same in the dog training world. There are Pilates classes included in my membership, so I might try them out.