Eating what you like?

Options
Can you eat what you want but staying within you calories and still lose weight? I have 3 kids 4 if you include my husband, work full time and have 25-30lbs to lose

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Depending on what you like, this might have other nutritional benefits or drawbacks, but you can lose weight with any foods if you stay within your calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes. Overall calorie goal for weight loss. Macros/micros for health and body composition.

Also bear in mind that different foods will have a different effect on your appetite, so you can eat the same number of calories and feel full with certain foods and still hungry with others.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To make the number on the scale go down? Most likely yes. To be healthy you (and your family) would probably benefit from eating a lot of nutrient dense, high fiber plant foods and some healthy fats and good proteins.
    And as 3dogs said: you may find that different food choices make compliance easier or harder. See above. And start there to figure out how you tick.
    Best of luck
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. Is it good for your health? Depends on what you're eating. That's why nutrition is still important.
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    haha I love that you included your husband as your 4th child xD
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes. Is it good for your health? Depends on what you're eating. That's why nutrition is still important.

This.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! Though you'll definitely feel better if your diet includes good healthy things like veggies, nuts, etc.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Can you eat what you want but staying within you calories and still lose weight? I have 3 kids 4 if you include my husband, work full time and have 25-30lbs to lose

You can, but that doesn't work for me in practice. I need to aim for eating healthy (which for me, means high fiber, high protein, low carb, and high fat). If I try to eat "what I like, just less of it" I end up craving food and my appetite drives me to eat past my deficit. I hate that struggle, so I picked a certain way of eating that I like, but also works.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    100% yes... But.... sugar leaves me hungry (empty calories) so I go for protein and fiber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - As others said, yes you can lose weight eating what you are currently eating, just less of it; however, you should make sure that you get adequate nutrition. I would focus on the first two months of just eating less, getting into a deficit and start losing weight. Once you et there then focus in on getting adequate nutrition ..I would also suggest keeping protein high as that will minimize muscle loss….
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes you sure can and I do! I am not a huge vaggie eater, and I like meats. I have a huge sweet tooth. I enjoy what I like in moderation. Cutting out condiments helps, and I stay under my sugar macros very carefully. Exercise also definitely helps. You don't have to starve nor eat like a rabbit!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I most definitely eat what I like. I learned portion control and moderation. So instead of eating a gallon of ice cream, now I just have one serving ( or two depending on my calories /macros )
    I personally eat a large variety of foods, a well balanced diet. I include all the treats I love but in proper portions.
    For me, lasting long term success depended on it ! I couldn't stick to a low carb diet because to me, it isn't what I like. So that wouldn't be a good way for me to expect to eat forever. I would last a few weeks and give up . I believe in moderation not deprivation .
    Sure many people lose weight by going on these fad diets ( any diet comes down to calories for weight loss ) but they usually end up right back where they started because they never learned how to eat for the real world. They deprived themselves and now have no tools for lasting success, so they regain the weight.
    For me, learning how to eat normal foods in the proper portions was the key ! I've managed to keep my weight off and didn't have to stick to some silly diet plan . I just ate what I liked, but less of it.
    All weight loss comes down to calories. Eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, but depending on your calorie goals, it can be difficult to feel satiated if you eat lots of high calorie, low bulk food. It just doesn't work very well for me. You can lose weight on beer, pizza, and ice cream if you maintain a deficit, but you might only get one meal per day of these goodies and not much else.
  • simlovgin960831
    simlovgin960831 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 and more lbs eating exactly what I like all of the time. The only thing I don't allow myself is unlimited candy bars and cookies all the time anymore. Other than that, I eat what I want. Another thing, no more diet pop. That is completely off limits.
  • simlovgin960831
    Options
    Oh, and another thing, I MUST count all of my calories at all times and stay within a certain limit. Even when I'm down to a normal weight. That's the only way I can KEEP the weight off.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories are what matter for weight loss.

Seeking plenty of variety in a fairly balanced diet should be sufficient for good health (unless you've been given some concrete reason that you in particular need to be much more concerned about your particular nutritional needs than this). Being in a food rut is typically not conducive for good health.

Keep it as simple as possible if that's all you've got time for. Nothing wrong with being too busy to fret over minutia.
  • simlovgin960831
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly.
  • simlovgin960831
    Options
    Based on Lourdesong's sage advice, I've switched from counting calories, to just following my extended care facility's meal plan. Which is a lot easier to do than counting calorie's all of the time! I'm sure they don't hire registered dietician's for nothing. But, I'm not about to go crazy with the chocolate or the cookies, no way.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know they have for you to set your carbs, proteins and Fats. What are good percentages to should for.