New Vegan engaged to a hardcore meat eater

Options
Beautiful_Warrior94
Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
edited December 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I love him so I know I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Any other couples like that? Just curious.

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i could never

but i know there are other couples like that
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    I'm and Atheist and my wife isn't. I'm tolerant of religion and don't engage in discussions with her or family members on it.
    But IMO, sometimes polar opposites when it comes to eating, religion, and political stances can affect the relationship. Love sometimes only is a small part of a marriage. The rest deals with compromise and tolerance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Like I believe vegan and vegetarian is a choice so when we have kids I'll still give that child options and if they grow up wanting to eat meat or wanting not to, we know that is their decision. I don't believe in forcing your child to stick to a lifestyle if that's not what they want.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,528 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and was happily married for over 20 years to a meat-eater and hunter (widowed, not divorced, before anyone starts thinking about why I used the past tense). Yes, it can work. Everyone's different, so this is just my opinion, but a couple of things seem crucial to me.

First, neither person should be harboring "eventually, s/he will come around" ideas about the other's lifestyle. (In general, implicitly assuming your partner will change, or that you can change them, is a Bad Plan for a happy relationship, in *anything* IMO, not just eating preferences.)

Second, flexibility. My husband was willing to eat (and even cook) vegetarian meals at times to make our household logistics and together-time work out (he liked pretty much all foods, and focused his meat consumption on meals we were apart, and on restaurant eating). I had no problem with him cooking meat at home, eating it at meals we ate together, and occasionally even cooked it myself or helped him do so (if there was some cooking technique I was more up on than he was), etc.

You need to be able to work out your day-to-day life in a harmonious way, with no hidden agendas or secret resentments, in other words. It adds a difficulty, but it's not anything like insurmountable.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ^^^^THIS!!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts after 18 years of wedded bliss:

1. This certainly isn't insurmountable but will definitely pose an obstacle.

2. Mealtimes are an important part of married and family life. You should figure out now how you intend to conduct them. Will you both just cook for yourselves? Will you take turns cooking? Is he willing to eat vegan meals sometimes? Are you willing to cook meat? Is he willing to cook vegan?

3. You will have to figure out how you will feed young children, and this will almost certainly be a source of discord. The children won't really be able to "stick to a lifestyle" or make their own decisions until they are nearly adults.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    A few thoughts after 18 years of wedded bliss:

1. This certainly isn't insurmountable but will definitely pose an obstacle.

2. Mealtimes are an important part of married and family life. You should figure out now how you intend to conduct them. Will you both just cook for yourselves? Will you take turns cooking? Is he willing to eat vegan meals sometimes? Are you willing to cook meat? Is he willing to cook vegan?

3. You will have to figure out how you will feed young children, and this will almost certainly be a source of discord. The children won't really be able to "stick to a lifestyle" or make their own decisions until they are nearly adults.

Done.
    Done.
    Done.

He is understanding of my decisions. And I'm also a Culinary Major student as well. I'm comfortable cooking meat for him and my children in the future. It's not my job to force anyone into any lifestyle they aren't comfortable with. And he knows the bakery I want to open one day to be vegan based and he is supportive of that.

Yes he hates vegetables. But he is willing to try.
  • fahjahfajitas
    fahjahfajitas Posts: 4 Member
    Options

• fahjahfajitas
    fahjahfajitas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater shes a vegan. We make meals for each other. Over the years some are very good and now i often go meatless. Its respecting each others differences thats important. Its ok if one choses meat and the other doesn't. Best marriage advice is dont sweat the small stuff... And everything is small stuff. Then you will do fine.
  • shernandez1382
    shernandez1382 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My fiancé and I are like this I am newly vegan and he is a big meat eater. We have a two year old boy and I am raising him as a vegetarian. He is very supportive and encourages me to be vegan if it's what I really want to do and he has no problem with our son being raised on a meatless diet.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone. He does support my decision. I do love animals but mostly doing this for my health. I can't tolerate meat at all without getting sick. And milk and eggs, last time I had either made me so sick I had to cal off work.