Is it ok to workout twice?

Options
Once in morning and other in the evening
So i love yoga as well as doing some cardio and strength training.
I do yoga for 1 hour in morning at 5 am and 30 min cardio and 20 min strength training in evening.
Is it ok?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Once in morning and other in the evening
    So i love yoga as well as doing some cardio and strength training.
    I do yoga for 1 hour in morning at 5 am and 30 min cardio and 20 min strength training in evening.
    Is it ok?

As long as you get enough rest in your schedule for recovery, of course it's ok. You shouldn't be training the same area of your body every day, for example. You should be taking a rest day when you don't do strength training or strenuous cardio. I try to do yoga every day, and have some hard days and some easy days.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    yes.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    yes, many of the professional and well toned builders are known for hitting the gym twice a day.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You need to give your body a chance to recover so that it can adapt and get stronger.

So, it really depends on your level of conditioning and how intense your work outs are. The more accustomed to the recovery of a specific workout your body is, the more efficient it is at it and the less time you'll need to recover. And the more intense your workouts are, the more time you'll need.

Easy yoga and gentle stretching are good every day activities. 24 hour rest is probably sufficient for recovery especially if you're used to it.

If you've done the same cardio routine for a long time just to maintain your level of fitness, then it's fine to do that for 30 minutes a day. If you're trying to increase your cardiovascular strength, though, it's best to limit it to 3-4x a week.

I don't know any kind of strength training routine that actually builds strength that you'd be able to do every day unless you're a dedicated and well conditioned athlete. I'd limit strength to 2-3x a week.

If you want to improve your fitness, intensity is much more important than frequency.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I often go to the gym twice. I'm retired so I realize everybody can't do this. I like to go in during the early afternoon when there is often a bit of a lull because I can almost always use the squat rack and the benches without feeling rushed. I usually do that on Mon/Wed/Fri.

Then in the evening I go in with my wife and do some cardio and spot her workout and do miscellaneous isolation stuff.
    On Tues/Thur I usually just go in with her in the evening and we do cardio.

During the good weather we usually don't go on Sat/Sun. During the rainy season we might.

I do have to be careful about getting overly tired. There have been weeks when I had 9 gym visits and the following week I knew I'd done too much. I'm getting a little smarter; when I do go in twice I try to keep each individual session at about 1/2 the total energy output (pretty subjective I know) of what I'd do if I did it all at once.