Meal replacment shakes?

Options
Does anyone know by expirence a really good meal replacment shake? I wanna give it a try, I've heard good things about it but don't know what to take.

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I prefer to chew my food and always found meal replacement shakes left me hungry afterwards.
  • Mom2Frankie
    Mom2Frankie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    On the days I work I pack a Quest shake. Full of protein. Better than eating breakroom snacks!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've always enjoyed the vanilla vegan Orgain shakes. They're like dessert. I keep them on hand for when I don't have time to eat. They're a life saver.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    i get mine through the gym. It's a chocolate whey protein. I make it with 8 oz. of fat-free milk, 2 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter and ice -- then zip it in my blender. What a wonderfully nutritious morning treat -- and it easily holds me over until lunch.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I prefer to chew my food and always found meal replacement shakes left me hungry afterwards.

This. Satiety factor is low
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a nutribullet to make smoothies. Spinach or kale with some nuts, seeds and whatever fruit you like topped up with almond milk or coconut water. Really filling and super healthy
  • jaorti95
    jaorti95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I use a shake similar to Soylent, they're called Super Body Fuel. I know a lot of people would never 'give up' 'real food' for shakes. But the shakes are meant to give you a full day's nutrients, and as someone that would otherwise eat a lot of fast food, I feel like it gives me greater control over my calories. I do plan to consume them long term. They are probably more expensive than homecooked meals, but cheaper than fast food and cheaper than medifast. If you don't think you want to consume meal replacement drinks long term I don't think it's a good crutch for weight loss. But you might have other reasons you'd be okay with consuming them long term. For me it gives me a handle on calories I otherwise don't have. If I was capable of making home cooked meals and turning down fast food, I wouldn't be overweight (or AS overweight anyways).
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I usually only use shakes when I don't feel well and know that I just need calories.

My personal favorite is Raw Meal from Garden of Life. They redid the formula this past summer to increase the protein content, lower the fat content, and make it a little thinner in consistency. I think it tastes pretty good! It's also all sourced from raw fruits and veggies, which makes it really good for you. Orgain shakes, like someone else mentioned above, are also really good. They're expensive, though, since they come pre-mixed.
  • Jillasmar
    Jillasmar Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    LEAN BODY FOR HER CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA ICE CREAM. It is so good. I swear by this stuff. Tones me, keeps my muscle and slays the fat on my body. I LOVE it. You can order online. I like to mix mine with almond/soy or reg milk in a blender with crushed ice and peanut butter. You can throw spinach in it or vitamin capsules and you will never taste it. SO YUMMY. Please Do yourself the favor and get it :):)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You've got to be careful they don't have more calories than an actual, filling meal.
  • jaorti95
    Options
    I use a shake similar to Soylent, they're called Super Body Fuel. I know a lot of people would never 'give up' 'real food' for shakes. But the shakes are meant to give you a full day's nutrients, and as someone that would otherwise eat a lot of fast food, I feel like it gives me greater control over my calories. I do plan to consume them long term. They are probably more expensive than homecooked meals, but cheaper than fast food and cheaper than medifast. If you don't think you want to consume meal replacement drinks long term I don't think it's a good crutch for weight loss. But you might have other reasons you'd be okay with consuming them long term. For me it gives me a handle on calories I otherwise don't have. If I was capable of making home cooked meals and turning down fast food, I wouldn't be overweight (or AS overweight anyways).

I can relate to you. Have you used a product called total soy?
  • jaorti95
    Options
    Jillasmar wrote: »
    LEAN BODY FOR HER CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA ICE CREAM. It is so good. I swear by this stuff. Tones me, keeps my muscle and slays the fat on my body. I LOVE it. You can order online. I like to mix mine with almond/soy or reg milk in a blender with crushed ice and peanut butter. You can throw spinach in it or vitamin capsules and you will never taste it. SO YUMMY. Please Do yourself the favor and get it :):)

But it does help weight loss? That's my main forces for now then I wanna tone. I first just wanna see what helps in the beginning for me you know?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The fundamental issues with meal replacement shakes as I see it are

Short term fix for long term issues
    Overpriced for what they are
    Satiety factor
    No learning curve for long term maintenance
    Play with water weight rather than fat
    Basically are low cal, low carb glop with additives
    Many are sold in MLM schemes (spits)

Yes I've tried them before, yes I convinced myself they were tasty, yes they work for the weeks you use them, yes weight just springs back and you are in a worse position than when you first tried it
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jaorti95 wrote: »

But it does help weight loss? That's my main forces for now then I wanna tone. I first just wanna see what helps in the beginning for me you know?

Eating at a calorie defecit helps weight loss
    These are low calorie so the answer is yes...but not long term
    You don't separate progressive resistance exercise from weight loss...you do them together otherwise you lose more muscle than you need to
    (Also you may wish to avoid using the word tone because you can't tone muscles...what marketing literature calls tone is adequate musculature, from progressive resistance, and low body fat from calorie control. Muscles don't tone they just get bigger or smaller)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes don't "tone" ( hate that word anyways). Fat loss and progressive overload lifting does.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard or Almased.

Prefer Almased at this point because I can't deal with fake sweetener and I find Almased more satiating. Best blended up with ice and almond milk in a powerful blender.

You might also try Quest protein bars. You can just throw one in your purse. Drink a lot of water with it.

I wouldn't commit to a large amount of anything at first.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jaorti95 wrote: »

At the end of the day, calories is what it comes down to for weight loss. If drinking a meal replacement shake helps you keep your calories in check, you will lose weight. It's no different than anything else. Drinking it in addition to a full day's worth of calories and you won't lose weight. There's nothing special about most shakes. Some have a lot of protein that can help with feeling full and maintaining muscle mass as you are losing weight. But it always comes down to calories in / calories out.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use something similar to Soylent as well, Space Nutrients. I just use it to supplement when I don't feel like making something and to keep me from eating out so much. Although I do go some days where that is all I eat. It is pretty decent. It works for me because I hate cooking, don't mind drinking my food, and it is super easy. I eat it for the convenience, not weight-loss.