Weighing in daily?

Options
Just want to see how many of you weigh in daily, and if not how often?? I used to be obsessed with weighing myself daily and it did help me lose weight very quickly- but I stopped when I got to my healthy weight this past summer and just focused on toning. Now I put on winter weight and I'm not sure if I should weigh again every day..

Replies

• boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Weekly. No reason for daily. Count kcals for a week as well
  • FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with weighing everyday before my workout in the morning. I found though that at times if I lost or even gained a little it would frustrate me so right now I'm trying weighing once maybe twice a week just to keep me honest and focused in the right direction. Also for me the scale isn't as important as what I want my "ideal body" and body fat % to be. If it worked for you before maybe it will work again.
  • Jillasmar
    Jillasmar Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @FluffyAndFestive awesome! Thank you. Good luck with your fitness journey!! @boomshakalaka911 never heard of counting kcals for an entire week :o
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily ... I'm a numbers person and like to watch the fluctuations.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily right now. But I'm emotionally detached from the number. Some of my clients do best with daily. Others no so much. It's a personal judgement call.

It sounds like it worked well for you last time so why not do it again? Unless, of course, you felt that it meddled with your day to day emotional wellbeing last time.
  • boomshakalaka911
    Options
    That's how it should be. I count each day but I have a weekly goal. If you hit less on a certain day you can add more the next... Vice Versa.

Best way to count in my opinion.
  • Jillasmar
    Options
    @stroutman81
    I'm worried about an eating disorder arising from weigh ins daily that's why I wanted to see if other people also do it. I had ed's in the past and my mom currently does as well and constantly watches her weight so I'm worried I will get sucked in! Can't hurt to try it I guess.
  • Jillasmar
    Options
    @boomshakalaka911 that's such a good idea I never thought of! I might just have to try it :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Oh okay... well that changes things a bit. Yeah, I wouldn't suggest daily weigh ins in your case. Instead I'd suggest focusing on behaviors and the process. Learning to honor the best version of yourself through the tiny choices you make day to day. The outcomes - like weight, physique, health, performance... these things are all byproducts of the process.

Build self-efficacy by checking in to the journey rather than worrying about the destination.
  • Jillasmar
    Options
    :):):) thank you @stroutman81 , great advice.
  • boomshakalaka911
    Options
    Daily or even multiple times daily is good if you're monitoring hydration. It's going to change depending.

Set your goal for what you want to gain/loose in a week or even 2. Weigh yourself the same time of course (when you wake up). All you need is a weekly weigh in though

• boomshakalaka911
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Jillasmar wrote: »
    @stroutman81
    I'm worried about an eating disorder arising from weigh ins daily that's why I wanted to see if other people also do it. I had ed's in the past and my mom currently does as well and constantly watches her weight so I'm worried I will get sucked in! Can't hurt to try it I guess.

Thats why I'm a huge advocate of counting kcals weekly and IIFYM. You develop a healthy relationship with food.

And I've yapped way to much in this thread. GL!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hell, for my clients with ED history, I tend to shy away from even calorie counting. Of course I'm working in conjunction with an RD... but still... we've found the best success to focus on behaviors rather than calories in order to reinstitute a healthy relationship with self and food.
  • Jillasmar
    Options
    I think counting cals has been helping because I would normally go days eating nothing and then eat like 4,000 cals in a few hours. So this helps me balance out a lottt.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    That's great for you. If you feel it's helping rather than stressing you about food and your daily limit (even if it's averaged across the week) then by all means... don't fix what ain't broke! I was speaking in generalities really.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I find that weeks I weigh daily I am more successful. This article mentions a study done on this issue and it's interesting. In the end, whatever works for you is the best. We all fluctuate, but it's good to see how certain foods and meals affect your outcome.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0M82NC20150312
  • jasamjak67
    jasamjak67 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I weigh in at 6am every Monday morning...that way it keeps me more focused to make better food choices over the weekend.
  • yungbrah
    yungbrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting, I weigh myself daily because I like to know if I'm making improvements and can gauge my progress better and adjust caloric intake accordingly. I should also be weighing myself decently often when I bulk, but that usually turns into me eating everything and weighing myself once a month lmao.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    VaingloriousVictoria Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I try every day or every other day. It helps me stay accountable.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Jillasmar wrote: »
    Just want to see how many of you weigh in daily, and if not how often?? I used to be obsessed with weighing myself daily and it did help me lose weight very quickly- but I stopped when I got to my healthy weight this past summer and just focused on toning. Now I put on winter weight and I'm not sure if I should weigh again every day..

Never weight daily, your body weight fluctuates daily due to a number of factors, this can be psychologically damaging to an individuals weight loss goal.