Macro counting & calories.

Options
So I'm 5'7 and I weigh 157... I'm at a 24% body fat. My goal is to get down to 135 which would mean i would have to lose 21 pounds but my goal right now is to atleast lose 15 pounds. I used IIFYM.com calculater and this is what I got for my results. Calorie intake for losing weight- 1793. Macros - Fat: 62.8. Carbs: 181.3. Protein: 125.6. Does this look right to you guys for my goals. THEN I'm having a hard time figuring out my Macros for low carb days and high carb days need help!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'7 and I weigh 157... I'm at a 24% body fat. My goal is to get down to 135 which would mean i would have to lose 21 pounds but my goal right now is to atleast lose 15 pounds. I used IIFYM.com calculater and this is what I got for my results. Calorie intake for losing weight- 1793. Macros - Fat: 62.8. Carbs: 181.3. Protein: 125.6. Does this look right to you guys for my goals. THEN I'm having a hard time figuring out my Macros for low carb days and high carb days need help!

Why do you need to cycle? Personal preference or some preconceived benefit?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Why do you intend to have high carb and low carb days? Are you doing some kind of cyclic carb feedback program?
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Personal preference.
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options

Why do you need to cycle? Personal preference or some preconceived benefit?

Basically personal preference.
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Why do you intend to have high carb and low carb days? Are you doing some kind of cyclic carb feedback program?

Basically yes.

This is what I got and idk if that seems right

• JocelynDeshane
    Options
  • yungbrah
    yungbrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It seems good but tbh hard to tell until you follow those macros and see for yourself based off of the mirror and scale. Try it out for 2-4 weeks and see what happens and then you can always adjust caloric intake accordingly. Don't overthink it!
  • FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with pkulagin12. The problem with most of the calculators is that it's just based off of a standard of numbers but everyone's body is different so what works for one might not for another. So give it a try and see what happens in the first few weeks and adjust as you think is needed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Taking the numbers at face value, that seems like a pretty reasonable starting point. A lot of it will be trial and error, so give it a go for a month or two and see how you make out, then adjust as needed.

Out of curiosity, how does that cycle play out... how often are you having a high/moderate/low carb day?
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @JocelynDeshane On my low carb week, I set mine to 25% carb, 30% fat, 45% protein.
    Plug the numbers into MFP as you change your macros. I take that daily number and divided by 5. So each meal is divided up with those macros.
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    @JocelynDeshane On my low carb week, I set mine to 25% carb, 30% fat, 45% protein.
    Plug the numbers into MFP as you change your macros. I take that daily number and divided by 5. So each meal is divided up with those macros.

What about high carb days??:)
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

Cause I thought the protein always stays the same and then on high carb days the carbs increase and the fats decrease and then on low carb days the carbs decrease and the fats increase but the protein stays the same I thought
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    If you want my honest opinion, lower your carbs to 100 and up your protein significantly
  • senecarr
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    If you want my honest opinion, lower your carbs to 100 and up your protein significantly

Why? Even for pro and semi pro athletes there isn't real evidence for more than .8g/lb of weight protein. In termsbof performance, being above 100g carbs will help more than more protein.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Why? Even for pro and semi pro athletes there isn't real evidence for more than .8g/lb of weight protein. In termsbof performance, being above 100g carbs will help more than more protein.

Find me a source that supports this claim?

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @JocelynDeshane Protein can change, doesn't need to stay the same. My high carb isn't higher than 40%.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    It looks great your getting enough Macro's in all three areas which is great just track your calories really close and adjust accordingly.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Your end goal seems a little extreme without losing LBM. If you lose 21lb of fat and you are indeed at 24%BF right now, that would leave you with 16.7lb of BF, or a BF% of 12.3%, which lands you in the essential fat range. Your 15lb loss seems more reasonable as it would leave you closer to 16% BF.

Outside of that, honestly I just make sure I hit my protein and then eat whatever as I always get enough fat and I don't care where I land for carbs, so I won't be of much help here.
  • senecarr
    Options

Find me a source that supports this claim?

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Any source that actually says significantly upping protein would have benefit or what would be the point of going under 100g of carbs? Based on the carbs you're recommending, if it involved replacing even just half the calories from carbs from the high or moderate carb days with protein, she'd be around 200g. Seems extra work for the liver turning it into carbs, resulting in expensive nitrogen rich urine.
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @JocelynDeshane, where did you go for that macro calculator? I would love to try it out for myself. Thanks! :)