New to the gym, help?

Options
So I'm deciding on making it official and spending all my savings on buying a gym membership, but before I do, I want to know how many days to go a week, and when to do arms and legs, cardio and all that. If anyone would like to coach me for free would be cool:-) im excited heh

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10298435/2016-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread

This is the new thread for 2016, but the idea is simply for those with more in depth ability to help people starting out. I'd suggest it strongly if you do better with one on one input. Take your time and find someone that is the right type of match for the motivations you are looking for.

I would say that the more information you provide as to your goals, the more likely someone will offer to help you based on what they already know about.

Hope it helps.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So I'm deciding on making it official and spending all my savings on buying a gym membership, but before I do, I want to know how many days to go a week, and when to do arms and legs, cardio and all that. If anyone would like to coach me for free would be cool:-) im excited heh

Don't spend all your savings on this. First see if you can give it a try. Some gyms will let you have a tour, or a trial day. See how you like it, and if you actually like it enough to commit it to it for the duration of your membership. Sometimes e.g. a reduced monthly price for half or one year sounds awesome, but it will not be really a bargain if you find out you do not like it at all.
    Figure out what are your goals and what sounds more interesting. There many ways to get to most goals, like outdoors activities, exercising at home, participating in a sport, joining a class, a pool, a dance school, a martial arts place, and of course a gym. So, before you spend all your money to something, see how it feels and if it is what you feel like doing.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Don't spend all your savings on this. First see if you can give it a try. Some gyms will let you have a tour, or a trial day. See how you like it, and if you actually like it enough to commit it to it for the duration of your membership. Sometimes e.g. a reduced monthly price for half or one year sounds awesome, but it will not be really a bargain if you find out you do not like it at all.
    Figure out what are your goals and what sounds more interesting. There many ways to get to most goals, like outdoors activities, exercising at home, participating in a sport, joining a class, a pool, a dance school, a martial arts place, and of course a gym. So, before you spend all your money to something, see how it feels and if it is what you feel like doing.

Woa good thinking!!!
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10298435/2016-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread

This is the new thread for 2016, but the idea is simply for those with more in depth ability to help people starting out. I'd suggest it strongly if you do better with one on one input. Take your time and find someone that is the right type of match for the motivations you are looking for.

I would say that the more information you provide as to your goals, the more likely someone will offer to help you based on what they already know about.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend all of my savings on a gym membership even if I liked the gym. You can do bodyweight exercises and get really good results. Progression isn't as simple as throwing on more plates, but there are plenty of free resources to make it easy enough.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

There are a number of free and excellent programmes for beginners

Bodyweight
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Also look at convict conditioning or you are your own gym

Progressive lifting programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Do not spend all your money on a gym...take up the free trial day offers, join a cheap gym
    Gyms are going to be heaving for the next 6 weeks and then they will die down
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the first gym you try. Go to another, each one has it's own culture, and lay out. I love mine because the free weights are not tucked away in the back hallway. The people are friendly and encouraging. Some people just want to get into the zone and not interact with others, they may not be as happy at my gym.
  • vinnyluu
    vinnyluu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The more you enjoy the gym, the more you will go! Take the time to enjoy it and make it fun and you'll be going often!

And as far as a program goes, every program generally works if you go to the gym and do it. There are different programs for different goals. And a lot of it is also on personal preference as well!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just remember, pumping iron is a priority, cardio is always secondary. Lifting weights (building muscle) is always your biggest bang for the buck!