Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs??? HELP!

Options
LoriT129
LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
So I just started using MFP 10 days ago (3 lbs gone!) and I am looking for the nutritional values for Country Style Pork Ribs. I have checked the database and the listings are varied as far as calories, fat, etc..... Some of them are terrible as far as calories/fat go but others are manageable. The serving size is about the same on all of them. I am confused! How do you know which one is correct??? Do I need to just take out a piece of boneless, skinless chicken?

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the ugly ones are if you get a fatty portion and eat the whole thing. The better ones are for the lean white pork. What I do is take a nice big juicy portion and clean it up when knife & fork, separate out the fat - then weigh in 4-5-6 oz's of nice lean meat onto my plate for a serving and feed the fat to the dogs.

Those lean numbers are good if you eat the lean meat. Pork loin is as light a chicken breast if you prep it right.

Enjoy! We have country ribs every other week or so, they rock.
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just found this online - not sure if it helps you with the calorie counts...
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-pork-fresh-loin-country-style-i10209

Are you making them yourself or are you going out to eat and having them? The latter would incur more calories in my opinion.
  • kkvz79
    kkvz79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest sticking to what you can recognize in the database. You can't be sure of the calorie content when you don't know exactly how much fat you really are consuming.. I personally have a hard time justifying eating pork products, roasts, ribs, chops...As well as roast beef and the like... It seems the calorie content is so high it's not worth it, but that is my opinion! I'ds tick with extra lean ground beef, extra lean turkey, chicken breasts and fish! Good luck!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to cut off as much fat as I can and try to calculate based on that. Hubby is going to grill them and I am making a homemade BBQ sauce. I'll eat a little and supplement with lots of grilled veggies. Grilled pineapple sounds like it would go well with this too!
  • sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I made Pork Side Ribs tonight, i trim off all the excess fat, then I parboil them\ or cook in oven with water added , drain away the water, and then finish them up on the grill or in the oven.. I also will season them with Mrs. Dash no salt spice.. they come out fall of the bone delicious, then i weigh my portion I debone it first, and pick the most rarest pieces usually 4 ribs deboned is close to 5 ounces.. and thats more than enough for me with a salad and steamed carrots and a bit of rice.
  • HungryHoarder
    Options
    The USDA's Nutrient Database is great for finding the accurate nutritional value of many meat and other food items. Below is the link:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list