Need to prevent my normal slip-up!

Options
Ok, I am sure I will get someone out there saying "motivation is instrinsic, you either have it or you don't," so I guess this post is more about me putting my thoughts down in writing, rather than hoping for magical extrinsic motivation.

I have a problem: after roughly 3 months of hard workouts and healthy eating, I come up against a "wall," at which point my motivation vanishes! This is the second time it has happened (I regained the 17kg that i previously lost, plus some!), and there appears to be no real reason for it to happen. I am determined to continue and blast past my wall this time, but it is a real struggle! Has anyone else experienced anything similar, with diet, exercise or both? And does anyone have any tips for pushing through?

Thank you.

Replies

• 99Joe
    99Joe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Three months seems to be a good #. I'm on third month and have stumbled a little. I'm keeping my eye on the scale and fight every day so I can restore my backbone again. I have forgotten some of the keys to my successes. First of all, eat proper food a proportions. Secondly ease into exercise. Thirdly say NO to the first five things I would like to eat over the right foods I should be eating. If I stick to these rules, I always will lose weight, however it seems I get the three month itch lol. I hope that by reading your post and writing this down will help snap me back to a greater awareness of self needs/self indulgences. Good luck Jenna I hope you succeed this time. Try the first 5 rule; it works.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I got hit this month after 4 months of very good consistency. I started eating candy and cookies. I logged every little bite, looked at all the red numbers on my diary, posted on my wall and on here for support, and finally just realized that unless I wanted to lose 4 months of hard work I needed to STOP. When my diary said that if every day were like today, I'd be at my starting weight in 5 weeks, I realized how easy it is to gain, and how hard to lose. I don't want to start over- again.

Something clicked and I was able to settle back into my rhythm of working out and calorie counting. Next time I hope to avoid that derailing of 5 days. It takes hard work and practice to learn how to handle these road blocks. We all get them so look at it, log it, and move on. Next time will be easier.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Motivation waxes and wanes. This is incredibly common and I'm willing to bet that everyone who has successfully lost weight has experienced this. You need to commit to your goals so that you can ride out the fluctuations in your motivation.

To my mind, what this means is actually living out the whole trite "lifestyle change" business. You need to make permanent changes to how you live. It's not easy: it comes in fits and starts.

I've been at this for 4 years and I still have struggles. I track my food more or less every day and I exercise almost every day. If a few days go by without exercise I don't "feel right." It's a habit and part of my life now.

You can do it. Just stick with it.

Relevant:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Develop persistence, patience and commitment as these are the qualities that will travel further with you than motivation.

Everyone hit walls, has slip-ups or falls off the wagon.....it is the making sure that you keep your mind aware that you are actually going off track rather than falling down into a cycle of denial that I think gives you an edge.

I don't know what the fascination with motivation is all about.....it as if we have an expectation of meeting each and every step of losing weight with a Ra-Ra attitude and well, Hell that just isn't gonna happen.

Sometimes that initial Woo Hoo moment about how much weight is going to be lost or how big our muscles are going to get, gets lost in the daily slog.

There is logging (accurately), keeping up with a calorie deficit, maybe denying ourselves the foods and drinks we REALLY want (at least in the quantities we would have once had), there are the sore muscles, the aching joints there is tedium and it all takes TIME......

We now live in a World where we are surrounded by the expectation of INSTANT results....weight loss companies play this fallacy up to the fullest extent and it just isn't true.....especially if you have a lot to lose and you live in the real world , where there are going to be said, "Walls, slip-up, Meh can't be bothered moments etc".

MFP success stories are filled with the reality. You are going to have to find your own way of getting past your give up time. Give yourself credit for wanting a healthier life for yourself. Forgive yourself when you slip-up....just make sure to pick yourself back up and continue on.

Remember the time is going to pass you no matter what....how you look and feel really is up to you.

Good luck.