Getting Motivated to Workout Everyday

Options
Hi, I have been really good with the food potion of losing weight, but really want to get in the habit of working out everyday. Thoughts on how to get started and motivated? It's harder for me to do it in the morning, but that's really the only time I have for it.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you want to do something, you'll do it. Otherwise, nothing will help motivation. Sorry about that. Choose something you love doing.

Research shows that people who use the excuse that they don't have time, have the most trouble. People who work out regularly don't have more time, they have priorities.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why everyday?
    That seems like you would be setting yourself up for failure. Why not say I will work out 4/7 days weekly. Baby steps is the key. Have fun. Plus your body needs a day off to rest.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why everyday?
    Doing something everyday can help build the habit of exercising. It could be as simple as walking a mile everyday. Once the habit is established slowly adding in more exercise is relatively easy. Baby steps as you said.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why everyday?
    Doing something everyday can help build the habit of exercising. It could be as simple as walking a mile everyday. Once the habit is established slowly adding in more exercise is relatively easy. Baby steps as you said.

I too am a proponent of the every day exercise, even if it's something very light or am active recovery or just some stretching. It becomes part of your daily routine and less likely to fall by the wayside.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Schedule it on your calendar, and then treat it like a meeting with your boss (absolutely not allowed to cancel).

Although, I feel the need to add that every day is excessive. I've had great success while hitting the gym three days a week. You may burn out if you try to do too much too fast.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting my morning workout routine, I already had my gym bag packed and my exercise clothes laid out (some people sleep in them, but there's no way I'm sleeping in a sports bra). I also set the loudest, most obnoxious alarm on my phone and put it across the room. That way, I was already up and standing early. Any additional sleep I would have got had I gone back to bed would have been sub-par (no REM sleep). And I had made a commitment to myself to put my health first in the day.

But like Jacqueline said, no trick in the world will work unless you truly have the inner desire and drive to make exercise a new part of your routine.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I ride my stationary bike every morning I wake up at 430 with the plan of 30 min if I'm not on it by 445 it automatically turns into a 50 min ride yes an extra 20 min penalty will get you out of bed quick..lol..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps - it takes time to develop habits.

When I first started exercise, my weekly goal was 60 minutes. I logged those minutes in a spreadsheet. You can use a calendar, or whatever makes you accountable. I would break that 60 minutes up, however (6x10, 4x15, 3x20). Once I got in the habit of doing "something" on a regular basis, I added minutes....90 minutes a week, then 120 minutes a week. Pretty soon it becomes routine.

I created a "library" of sorts for different workouts. No excuses, if one DVD/video gets boring...I will reach for another one. YouTube is great for variety. Try new things, and make up a favorites list.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something, you'll do it. Otherwise, nothing will help motivation. Sorry about that. Choose something you love doing.

Research shows that people who use the excuse that they don't have time, have the most trouble. People who work out regularly don't have more time, they have priorities.

This. This. This. Either you love it and want to be there...or you don't. Find something you enjoy doing. Don't make yourself miserable.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Do something you like. If I had to wake up and run every day, I'd never do it because I don't like running. Waking up to lift? Still hard (so not a morning person), but I will do it.

And as a previous poster said, if you really want to make a change, you'll do it. There is no picture, quote, etc. that will do it for you.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My "workouts" are what other people use as warm-ups. But I'm seeing slow steady progress in my ability and stamina, so that's my motivation. I walk a mile every day "on purpose". Many days I get outside and walk, but if conditions don't allow for that, I walk in place and/or pace inside. I've used Leslie Sansone's video for walking in place. I also do chair yoga some days (I can't balance well enough to do standing yoga). For that I'm using a free youtube video. You don't need special equipment for either walking or chair yoga (except walking shoes and a chair).

If you need incentive to get up earlier, drink a tall glass of water right before falling asleep! It works!

I'm a slow walker (but getting faster!) so my mile walk takes 25-30 minutes. The emotional and physical boost of those minutes is worth every second. Are you willing to give up half an hour of tv to meet your goal?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I get my workout done first I can't put it off later. After several weeks of getting up early it became a habit for me. I now wake up at four AM without an alarm clock and hit the street for a run. If it rains I will skip or just do planks inside. I did start slow and walked until I worked up to running. I used Ingress.com to get into running gradually, goofy but it is what made workouts fun.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think in terms of "working out" every day. But I do try to be active every day (NEET). I try to run 3x a week. I try to lift 2-3x a week. I try to do Pilates or Yoga every other day.
    I ride my bike and walk most places.

And when I lift or run I try to do it first thing before I find an excuse not to. :smile:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. If it is a priority, you will find a way.
    I get up very early everyday and go to the gym. I work very long days, and I have a 45 minute commute to work one way. I joined Anytime Fitness, and you would be surprised at the number of people that are in the gym at 3:00 a.m. It is the only time I can do this. I am on a streak right now of not missing a day since 2/2/15.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Find a way to be active that you LOVE. So that it's a treat, not a burden.
  • shankins6
    shankins6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    When I was first starting my morning workout routine, I already had my gym bag packed and my exercise clothes laid out (some people sleep in them, but there's no way I'm sleeping in a sports bra). I also set the loudest, most obnoxious alarm on my phone and put it across the room. That way, I was already up and standing early. Any additional sleep I would have got had I gone back to bed would have been sub-par (no REM sleep). And I had made a commitment to myself to put my health first in the day.

But like Jacqueline said, no trick in the world will work unless you truly have the inner desire and drive to make exercise a new part of your routine.

This! Preparation is the key! Make it as easy for yourself as possible in the mornings. Make sure you take time the night before to pack after-gym clothes, toiletries, breakfast/snacks/lunches. Everything little thing you will need for the day ahead. That way, in the morning you can just roll out of bed and go.

As for getting out of bed, that's mostly on you. Although the alarm clock across the room trick works pretty well! Make sure you are getting enough sleep. There aren't enough alarm clocks in the world that can get me up for a workout if I go to bed too late the night before.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure what you like join a gym for a month or two to play with all the equipment. I'd bike, jog, and row ten min each day for a week. See which you like best then stick with that for a month. Try the classes too. And the weights. Once you figure out what you like the most you might do it at home, be it DVDs or jogging or whatever.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Some strategies I have employed:
    - Join a class (or plan to meet a friend); it's harder to sleep in when someone else is waiting on you
    - Schedule your workouts for the week ahead of time, day by day. I specifically schedule 1 or 2 days off, too, because otherwise I burn out.
    - Tell your friends (on MFP or otherwise) what your workout for the day will be. Have someone check in with you later to see how it was - it can be very motivating to simply not want to say "I didn't do it after all"
    - Make friends on MFP who work out frequently. Scroll through your feed and decide you want to post an exercise status, too!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been really good with the food potion of losing weight, but really want to get in the habit of working out everyday. Thoughts on how to get started and motivated? It's harder for me to do it in the morning, but that's really the only time I have for it.

Don't wait around for motivation.

Just do it!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

You actually have to just start it, I started with 30 day shred, it was horrific, I was unfit but have never regretted it or looked back now
    Good luck you can do it. Have a look at fitness blender.com and find something that suits your level or you can just go for a long walk