Sugar Alcohols

Options
I just picked up a few Pure Protein bars just to see if I like them and if they'd be a satiable food item for me. As I was standing in the checkout line, I noticed a warning on the box saying that they contained sugar alcohols, which "may lead to digestive upset." I did a little reading on sugar alcohols and see that they are a sweetener alternative to real sugar that is somewhat less caloric. I also see that I've eaten foods containing them, but can't remember if I experienced digestive upset.

My question here is, has anyone experienced digestive problems relating to ingesting sugar alcohols? I plan to eat these sparingly (if I like the taste) and not wolf them down like candy. I'm not worried about the safety of sugar alcohols as I consume a variety of artificial sweeteners. I'm sure I won't know if there are side effects until I try one!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have with sorbitol but it's well known that it has a laxative effect especially if you have too much of it. Learnt my lesson from eating too many sorby candies
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ate a Pure Protein bar today. No issues for me.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Only with erythritol. I purchased a ton of snacks from ThinSlim Foods and ate three in one sitting (each has over 10g of sugar alcohols per serving). Then the next day I had another. After that, I had to leave work early and sit on the toilet all night it was that bad. I had SO much gas inside of me that I had the worst stomach pains, I was constipated, and I just felt horrible. I still love their desserts and consume them, but now I'll only limit myself to one a day or if I do have two, I make sure they're spaced apart! That's really the only problem I've had though, and it was totally my own fault. Everything in moderation I guess, I learned my lesson xD A little here and there shouldn't hurt!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Space them out at first. In time your body may adjust that it won't be an issue. Shouldn't need more than one a day anyway, right?
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem...so i limit the quanity.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yes I react VERY badly to these......I don't think I have found one of these products to not have some negative effects to one degree or another.

YMMV so just as others have said take it slow and see how you go (no pun intended)..... ;)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think sugar alcohols are a bit problematic for me, although most of what I eat that's high in them are simply fruit. I should also add that I do have symptoms of IBS, and that would be a trigger.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    As an aside dogs cannot digest these and can die from consumption.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I believe I've had a few Quest protein bars that contain this and haven't had any GI problems from them.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - I gave up on the Pure Protein bars for such issues. Can't handle it. Eat them at your own risk! Too bad they didn't make them with Stevia.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/7-tips-for-beating-the-bloat/limit-sugar-alcohols.aspx
    I was looking up info on bloating. Sugar alcohols can cause painful bloating in some people. (Ignore that the article is about PMS). I have no problems with them, but make sure it's not daily routine.
  • Jillasmar
    Jillasmar Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get really bloated and constipated and gassy. Also happens with pears, apples, grapes
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I consume a lot. I have my good days and bad days with it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20 grams a day is one suggested limit on sugar alcohols, otherwise eat now and spray later !
  • ldrag07444
    ldrag07444 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat too much of it.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with sugar alcohols. My Mom on the other hand gets extreme diarrhea.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It is my recommendation if you buy Blue Bunny's "Carb Freedom" flavors that you do not eat the carton in one sitting
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have with sorbitol but it's well known that it has a laxative effect especially if you have too much of it. Learnt my lesson from eating too many sorby candies

I should add that I have Crohn's and IBS so that might be why they bother me so much