Preworkout!

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I like the MuscleTech Shatter. Stronger than C4, not as strong as ESP (which is just insane by the way).

ESP is some potent stuff lol! I crash from it though so I never even finished my tub of it. I like Hyde, D Stunner (which tastes like crap but makes me feel like I can lift the whole gym, lol) and Shatter.

I tried the ESP without caffeine and it was better. For kicks I tried the regular one again and I just can't. No. It's strong but not fun.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    whisper34c wrote: »
    beachbody energizere4f4cv1b7bd.jpg
    I always laugh when I see labels that say "Scientifically proven key ingredients". In other words, any supplement that has those ingredients on their label are "scientifically proven" to work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    erockem wrote: »
    Depends on what I'm feeling like.

Combo 1: Caffeine pill + Aleeve + Benadryl + Creatine
    Why would you take an NSAID before a workout? Exercise is done to "inflame" the tissue and using an NSAID would counter that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Trying to think back here, but back in the day bodybuilders would stack it -- and I can't remember exactly why -- but it was supposed to facilitate the gains better or something.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I took a long, long, long lifting break from 2009-2014 and upon returning I discovered PWOs and that they have now become an essential supplement for some. I don't know, but I think they are pretty much unnecessary, and yes, I've tried them and for the upset stomach and head buzz I received, I didn't find as nearly as pleasant as cup of joe.

Count me among the skeptical for this product, but the years preceding 2009 I never once took a PWO and had great sessions and great gains just the same.

Probably not necessary. But fun.

With my touchy stomach -- unh unh -- no fun :'(

Yeah, I'd never take something if it upset my stomach.

The first time I ever took a pre-workout I had this feeling like...If I don't take something, there is absolutely NO WAY I can go to the gym today and make it through my workout. I waited as long as I could to start.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Why would you take an NSAID before a workout? Exercise is done to "inflame" the tissue and using an NSAID would counter that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Trying to think back here, but back in the day bodybuilders would stack it -- and I can't remember exactly why -- but it was supposed to facilitate the gains better or something.
    ECA- ephdra, caffeine and aspirin (or white willow bark) yes, but aspirin was very low dose and made to extend the effects of EC. I can't think of any other stack that would have NSAID's in them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    ECA- ephdra, caffeine and aspirin (or white willow bark) yes, but aspirin was very low dose and made to extend the effects of EC. I can't think of any other stack that would have NSAID's in them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Maybe he's confused on the broscience because broscience after all?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I took a long, long, long lifting break from 2009-2014 and upon returning I discovered PWOs and that they have now become an essential supplement for some. I don't know, but I think they are pretty much unnecessary, and yes, I've tried them and for the upset stomach and head buzz I received, I didn't find as nearly as pleasant as cup of joe.

Count me among the skeptical for this product, but the years preceding 2009 I never once took a PWO and had great sessions and great gains just the same.

If "fun" is considered being jittery, having an upset stomach and blood pressure so jacked up I can feel it pounding in my head. No thanks. I love coffee, but don't like the way energy drinks or preworkouts make me feel.

I always laugh when I see labels that say "Scientifically proven key ingredients". In other words, any supplement that has those ingredients on their label are "scientifically proven" to work.

It's Beachbody, what else would you expect but woo?
  • arditarose
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If "fun" is considered being jittery, having an upset stomach and blood pressure so jacked up I can feel it pounding in my head. No thanks. I love coffee, but don't like the way energy drinks or preworkouts make me feel.

Yeah. That doesn't happen to everyone. I wouldn't take it if I felt that way either.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Product studies are costly and time consuming, but if a supplement contains proven ingredients at proven doses, it's not unreasonable to think the product will work. Beachbody's "Energize" has caffeine and beta-Alanine, both of which have a decent number of studies backing their ergogenic effects. Their caffeine dose is a little low though.

References:
    International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Caffeine and performance
    http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/5

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/30

"Energize" product label
    http://i.imgur.com/V8pYeX4.png
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple since I do morning workouts. My favorites:
    1) Raisin Bran Cereal
    2) A protein shake and carb-heavy snack of some sort
    3) Just a protein bar
    4) A muffin and eggs/sasuage
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I buy ingredients in bulk and make my own preworkout. My stack currently includes:

Caffeine
    Creatine
    Beta Alanine
    Citrulline Malate
    Acetyl N Carnitine
    Taurine
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Not only Beach Body. Muscle Tech puts in HUGE ads about how their product is "scientifically proven" and over exaggerate on it's "proprietary blend" because of of "key ingredients" that have been scientifically proven to work under clinical study. Things like whey protein and creatine. It's laughable and unless pointed out, they try to make it sound like it's been put through some rigorous testing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Product studies are costly and time consuming, but if a supplement contains proven ingredients at proven doses, it's not unreasonable to think the product will work. Beachbody's "Energize" has caffeine and beta-Alanine, both of which have a decent number of studies backing their ergogenic effects. Their caffeine dose is a little low though.

References:
    International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Caffeine and performance
    http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/5

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/30

"Energize" product label
    http://i.imgur.com/V8pYeX4.png
    Of course. But it's the DECEPTION of wording that has it sound like that the particular PRODUCT has undergone scrutiny of clinical testing, when in truth it hasn't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I buy ingredients in bulk and make my own preworkout. My stack currently includes:

Caffeine
    Creatine
    Beta Alanine
    Citrulline Malate
    Acetyl N Carnitine
    Taurine
    To me, this is reasonable to do. You can get single items at a much lower cost and make many more servings on your own.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• arditarose
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Mr Hyde. Take it Straight to the dome

This stuff is no joke. I was up all night the first time I took it for my after-work workout. :D

right? All these people saying C4 have no clue

Explain. What do you mean, we have no clue? The stuff makes me an animal. Since I workout at 4am, I need the kick in the *kitten*.

Tis very mild
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Mr Hyde. Take it Straight to the dome

This stuff is no joke. I was up all night the first time I took it for my after-work workout. :D

right? All these people saying C4 have no clue

Explain. What do you mean, we have no clue? The stuff makes me an animal. Since I workout at 4am, I need the kick in the *kitten*.

Tis very mild

^ this. No offense to those who benefit from c4. It didn't take long before it did absolutely nothing for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Not only Beach Body. Muscle Tech puts in HUGE ads about how their product is "scientifically proven" and over exaggerate on it's "proprietary blend" because of of "key ingredients" that have been scientifically proven to work under clinical study. Things like whey protein and creatine. It's laughable and unless pointed out, they try to make it sound like it's been put through some rigorous testing.

"Proprietary blend" = "we don't have to tell you how much of each ingredient we put in". So they don't have to tell you how much or little of whatever is in their "Proprietary Super Monster Mass Growth Protein Blend", or their "Proprietary Ultra Apocalyptic Fat Terminator Metabolism Blaster Mix". It could be 1 or 2 grams of protein/caffeine/whatever, and a bunch of sawdust. Sure, they can make the claim that it has "key ingredients scientifically proven to work under clinical study" - whey protein and caffeine meet those standards. You just have no idea how much you're really getting, which processing method was used, source origin, whether it's been tested for heavy metals/contaminants, etc.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options