TDEE - have you mastered fat loss using TDEE ??

Options
13»

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what I burn I don't eat the calories back? The options are just light workouts 1-3 hours a week, moderate exercise 3-5 days a week and strenuous exercise 5-6hrs or 7-21 hours. Most of the time I only burn 250-400 calories per exercise day. However, what about the days I decided to do a intense workout or long run where I burn 800 calories or more? Still don't eat any of them back?

Thank you
    Ok, I am still a bit confused on what to put into my calorie goal if switching over to TDEE instead of BMR calorie.

Here is what the TDEE calculator put out for me at the Scooby Worksheet website:

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1274

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1752

Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1402

So, do I put in 1402? That is at 20%. I am 117lbs and would like to lose at least 10-12 more lbs. Should I change it to a 10 or 15% calorie reduction?

Now, if my new calorie goal should be 1402, when I do exercises (working way through T25 program and occasionally run on dreadmill) to I need to eat back all/half of those calories like I have been doing?

Thank you.

Your TDEE should include your exercise, so no, you do not eat back any exercise calories.

Since you only have 10 pounds to lose, use 10% deficit.
  • Tlink34
    Tlink34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I need help too..can someone help me figure it?

I am 47
    155 pounds, 64 inches
    I want to lose 15 pounds minimum.
    I walk/jog/bike daily for 45-60 minutes at a moderate speed.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. Help me, please! 5'2" , 122 lbs., 50 yo female, struggling to drop my bf% - which was 29% in April as per caliper measurements done at my gym. I lift heavy (for me) 2-3x per week, some cardio, but not much, eat mostly clean, but can't seem to shed the "fluff". Can someone check my numbers: BMR 1236, BMI- 22, TDEE- 1916. So if I have this right, I should be eating 1916 less 10-20% to lose weight - is that correct? Thanks in advance!

- 10% since you are so close to goal. Of course with not much wiggle room in the deficit you have to be accurate in measuring/weighing food. Make sure you are getting adequate protein. Try HIIT for cardio 20-30 minutes, 3x a week to burn the fat. Keep it lower impact if possible.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Regardless of what I burn I don't eat the calories back? The options are just light workouts 1-3 hours a week, moderate exercise 3-5 days a week and strenuous exercise 5-6hrs or 7-21 hours. Most of the time I only burn 250-400 calories per exercise day. However, what about the days I decided to do a intense workout or long run where I burn 800 calories or more? Still don't eat any of them back?

TDEE typically includes all of your exercise. However, If you do have days where you work out more than normal, that is not included in your calculations, then if you are hungry, eat more.
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to help me figure mine out? I've read the info but I'm still confused! If so, I can supply all my stats.

Me too!
    30 yrs Female
    180lbs
    5'6"
    fairly active (I walk about 4 miles per day plus go running or play roller derby occasionally)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I need help too..can someone help me figure it?

I am 47
    155 pounds, 64 inches
    I want to lose 15 pounds minimum.
    I walk/jog/bike daily for 45-60 minutes at a moderate speed.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Kathryn41057
    Options
    Just disregard this last post...I'm still learning how to use "Quotes" My bad.. :(

I have been reading all of the above posts, and I am still trying to understand how one would calculate their calorie intake for any given day. If I understand this right, by using the TDEE method, this number is what I aim for, whether I exercise or not?
    Bokodasu, would you be so kind to have a look at my info, and point me in the right direction?

BMR - 1756
    TDEE - 2167
    BMI - 29

56 Years old
    5'9" (69")
    198 lbs

Light exercise 1-3 Days / week *I try to walk daily anywhere from 2-4km, Walking DVD, am trying to get the knack of Zumba ;/
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Your BMR probably isn't that high, unless you got it tested professionally. If you are basing it off the online calculators, take into account that they are always wrong, sometimes grievously. It tells me that my BMR is 1600 ish and my doctor tested me at the hospital and it is more like 801 - 845.

800? It sounds extremely low and wrong. A 125lbs person burns 912 calories in 24h just by sleeping

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm

Did you fast for 12 hours, stay in a darken room, and was in bed awake or not for 8 hours, before the test was done? Has the point in the menstrual cycle taken under consideration ? Just breathing in a tube without the prior conditions met does not give an accurate measurement.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks! Going to try this for 30 days and see how it goes

TDEE typically includes all of your exercise. However, If you do have days where you work out more than normal, that is not included in your calculations, then if you are hungry, eat more.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Just disregard this last post...I'm still learning how to use "Quotes" My bad.. :(

I have been reading all of the above posts, and I am still trying to understand how one would calculate their calorie intake for any given day. If I understand this right, by using the TDEE method, this number is what I aim for, whether I exercise or not?
    Bokodasu, would you be so kind to have a look at my info, and point me in the right direction?

BMR - 1756
    TDEE - 2167
    BMI - 29

56 Years old
    5'9" (69")
    198 lbs

Light exercise 1-3 Days / week *I try to walk daily anywhere from 2-4km, Walking DVD, am trying to get the knack of Zumba ;/

It averages out your intake over the whole week, so yes, you eat the same calorie goal every day.

I put your info into the Scooby calculator and got this:

BMR - 1571
    TDEE - 2160 (the amount to maintain your current weight)
    TDEG - 1728 (total daily eating goal to lose weight with a 20% cut)

So you would eat 1728 every day. You would not eat any extra for exercise because it is factored into that calorie goal.
  • Kathryn41057
    Options
    deksgrl;
    Thanks sooooo much for your insight, and help. I'm sure that I will understand this somewhere along the line. I am having
    a hard time tho trying to wrap my head around the fact that I should up my calories. I'm trying to lose this weight. I know that I will probably have a gain, but starting right now, I'm going to jump in with both eyes open... :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    Options
    If you have been eating low calorie for a long time, you might see an initial gain while your body adjusts. But you may be surprised and see the weight starting to come off right away. Either way, eating more will help you get more nutrients and that is healthier. If you don't see any changes in 6 weeks then try reducing by 100 calories but I wouldn't go much lower than that since your BMR is nearly 1600. That is the amount they would feed you in a coma just for your organs to function.
  • Kathryn41057
    Options
    I'll watch things for the next 6 weeks or so and go from there. Thank you again. :)