Protein drink sickly sweet??

Options
I don't usually drink them but got given a sample. I'm drinking it with rice milk (is this a good or bad idea??). I'm just wondering are they really sweet or is it the milk or the fact that Iv been cutting my sugar intake right back?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you using unsweetened rice milk? Because sometimes protein powder can be sweet. It's a good thing you got a sample.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What specific protein are you drinking?
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oxywhey lean protein choc flavour
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    And yes thank god I didn't buy a whole tub
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sucralose - bad stuff (derived from sugar through a multi-step patented manufacturing process that selectively substitutes three atoms of chlorine for three hydroxyl groups on the sugar molecule). Get some "NOW Sports" Unflavored, Natural Whey Isolate. If you need to sweeten use Stevia, the only safe sweetener.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You might be tasting the artificial sweeteners some of them use. If you don't drink artificial sweeteners, this stuff tastes overly sweet.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Most are so full of artificial sweeteners and taste far too sweet to me. I had to get an unflavoured and unsweetened one off the internet ( natures best maybe? Can't remember) but now i control the flavour snd sweetness level.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe try it with cows milk or unsweetened almond milk. Personally, I like the former as you get additional protein from cows milk.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    yh the powders usually have either stevia or sucralose listed towards bottom of ingredients list. 1%milk, 2%milk, almond milk those are what i use with them :)

sometimes you can get unflavored natural whey or something like that and add your own sweetness via fruits or whatever else :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Shesaleo18 wrote: »
    Oxywhey lean protein choc flavour

It's probably the sucralose (Splenda) that you find sickly sweet. This is my experience with artificial sweeteners as well.

fd6a97eeb1dd50fb7f9a6834049eb701.png

I like Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural, which has no added sweeteners of any kind, including stevia.

Their Vanilla has a more pronounced vanilla flavor and some sugar.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I add unsweetened cocoa powder to mine to cut the sweet. Works like a charm.