Bulking

Options
What is bulking? Ive also see macros a lot too since ive been researching weight gain and lifting. Im interested in methods of bulking as well. Any advice or help is great

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    From the "Most Helpful Posts (must reads)" sticky at the top of the page: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bulking is eating more calories over maintenance in order to obtain muscle mass. Fat % increases as well of course. Calories are broken into 3 main sources known as macronutrients aka "macros"

Fats - 9 cals per gram
    Carbs -4 cals per gram
    Protein- 4 cals per gram
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The exact definition of bulking could probably be considered subjective, but I'd consider it to be lifting weights and eating enough calories to gain muscle/weight.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Bulking is intentionally getting larger via sustained caloric surplus. Without much exercise, most of the mass gained will be body fat. With proper weight training, a majority of the mass gained will be muscle.
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For me, bulking is purposely maintaining a high protein calorie surplus for the sole purpose of making them gains.

The key to bulking is to accept that you will gain some fat, but you will be able to earn disproportionately more muscle. Usually while bulking keep your cardio to a bare minimum. Don't get me wrong, you won't get visibly obese or bulky as long as you are hitting the gym consistently - I've been maintaining roughly 10-15% body fat while bulking so my abs are still visible.

Macronutrients are fat, protein, and carbs; these are "macros". When I'm bulking I aim for around 35-40% of calories from protein, 35-40% from carbs on lifting days, and the remaining 20-30% from fats.

Slightly more complicated - quality of macros is important as well, carbs have different glycemic indexes, fats are broken down into saturated, trans, etc. Basically I think of it as the more refined and unnatural something is the worse it is, but some people follow the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) idea that as long as you get the right proportions you are good to go. This does work, I ate 20pc chicken nuggets and a big mac daily for a while to bulk on the cheap and built lots of muscle without going over ~15% bodyfat.

I'm just finishing up a bulk to get past 200lbs, so the method I would prefer right now is to hit that calorie surplus, maintaining consistent, well-proportioned macros, while focusing each workout on limitless greatness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The exact definition of bulking could probably be considered subjective, but I'd consider it to be lifting weights and eating enough calories to gain muscle/weight.

nothing subjective about it. Eat more and lift more to put on as much mass as possible while minimizing fat gains.
  • bryanna277
    bryanna277 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, bulking is purposely maintaining a high protein calorie surplus for the sole purpose of making them gains.

The key to bulking is to accept that you will gain some fat, but you will be able to earn disproportionately more muscle. Usually while bulking keep your cardio to a bare minimum. Don't get me wrong, you won't get visibly obese or bulky as long as you are hitting the gym consistently - I've been maintaining roughly 10-15% body fat while bulking so my abs are still visible.

Macronutrients are fat, protein, and carbs; these are "macros". When I'm bulking I aim for around 35-40% of calories from protein, 35-40% from carbs on lifting days, and the remaining 20-30% from fats.

Slightly more complicated - quality of macros is important as well, carbs have different glycemic indexes, fats are broken down into saturated, trans, etc. Basically I think of it as the more refined and unnatural something is the worse it is, but some people follow the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) idea that as long as you get the right proportions you are good to go. This does work, I ate 20pc chicken nuggets and a big mac daily for a while to bulk on the cheap and built lots of muscle without going over ~15% bodyfat.

I'm just finishing up a bulk to get past 200lbs, so the method I would prefer right now is to hit that calorie surplus, maintaining consistent, well-proportioned macros, while focusing each workout on limitless greatness.

How do you calculate the percentage of how many calories you are getting in your daily protien carbs and lifting per day?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    bryanna277 wrote: »

How do you calculate the percentage of how many calories you are getting in your daily protien carbs and lifting per day?

There are calculators that can tell you how much protein, carbs and healthy fats you should take in every day for a good bulk. This is one of them: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. If you want to bulk, you have to lift and lift heavy to tear down as much muscle fibers as possible to stimulate repair and growth. Your cycle of increased intake should last as long as you continue to gain more muscle than fat and then start a cut cycle when you plateau out or start to gain more fat than muscle. It's different from person to person. There are ways to bulk without having to gain much fat but it's harder to do and works better for people experiencing newbie gains, much more difficult for long time lifters.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

OK I'll bite

How can the term bulking be considered subjective ?
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Also, you don't want to start out eating way over your maintenance but ease into it and then ease back down.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

No more than the definition of ANY word is 'subjective'. I mean, it's a pretty cut and dry definition..."Eat at a caloric surplus to add mass."
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK I'll bite

Well, some people could look at it from the standpoint of lifting heavy but barely eating at a surplus. In other words, gains would be very slow, but this is in contrast to a faster bulk and then cutting. I'm not suggesting that people need to do this, but I know people who would still consider that "bulking".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

OK I'll bite

Well, some people could look at it from the standpoint of lifting heavy but barely eating at a surplus. In other words, gains would be very slow, but this is in contrast to a faster bulk and then cutting. I'm not suggesting that people need to do this, but I know people who would still consider that "bulking".

How is that subjective? The only thing subjective is the amount of surplus one chooses to use. Sure, you could call it a "clean" bulk (low surplus), "dirty bulk" or "GFH bulk" (large surplus), but either way it involves eating at a caloric surplus (preferably with strength training involved) in order to gain weight.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Bulking is the act of eating at a surplus with the end goal of gaining muscle mass. However, I've seen people bulk while eating at a caloric deficit because their focus is on the end goal, gaining muscle mass. The eating is just a tool to facilitate the end result. If you already have a large fat surplus, you don't have to actually eat at a surplus and can actually cut while gaining muscle mass. This is especially true with newbs to lifting that are granted the gift of newbie gains. So, bulking may be different from one person to the next dependent upon where on the fitness meter you happen to be. The term is widely used and associated with lifters that have been lifting for a while and want to add on additional muscle mass.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

OK I'll bite

But most people would call that a recomp, not bulking. You're not going to be adding much mass; you're more likely gaining muscle and losing fat at a very slow rate.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

OK I'll bite

But most people would call that a recomp, not bulking. You're not going to be adding much mass; you're more likely gaining muscle and losing fat at a very slow rate.

True, I was just trying to play devil's advocate.
  • bryanna277
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

There are calculators that can tell you how much protein, carbs and healthy fats you should take in every day for a good bulk. This is one of them: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. If you want to bulk, you have to lift and lift heavy to tear down as much muscle fibers as possible to stimulate repair and growth. Your cycle of increased intake should last as long as you continue to gain more muscle than fat and then start a cut cycle when you plateau out or start to gain more fat than muscle. It's different from person to person. There are ways to bulk without having to gain much fat but it's harder to do and works better for people experiencing newbie gains, much more difficult for long time lifters.

What do i do to maintain once i get to my ideal weight?
  • bryanna277
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

OK I'll bite

How is that subjective? The only thing subjective is the amount of surplus one chooses to use. Sure, you could call it a "clean" bulk (low surplus), "dirty bulk" or "GFH bulk" (large surplus), but either way it involves eating at a caloric surplus (preferably with strength training involved) in order to gain weight.

What is the difrence in a clean bulk and a dirty bulk?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

To lose weight, you eat at a deficit. To gain weight, you eat at a surplus. To maintain weight, you eat at maintenance. All of those are based on your maintenance calories; the amount of calories your body uses based on your activity level day to day. The provided calculator should give you that number.
  • bryanna277
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

To lose weight, you eat at a deficit. To gain weight, you eat at a surplus. To maintain weight, you eat at maintenance. All of those are based on your maintenance calories; the amount of calories your body uses based on your activity level day to day. The provided calculator should give you that number.

Thank you