The Eat More To Lose Weight Theory

Options
13»

Replies

• hcsfev
    Options
    I am checking in to see how you are doing with the change in calorie in take. The last post I can find from you was July 12, 2013. I've been watching because your age, weight, weight goal and philisophy is somethng I share. So - how's it going?
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    I am checking in to see how you are doing with the change in calorie in take. The last post I can find from you was July 12, 2013. I've been watching because your age, weight, weight goal and philisophy is somethng I share. So - how's it going?

If this was directed at me, I will answer to say that it's not going well. :( Scale is at 170, blood pressure, cholesterol, and cortisol are through the roof based on tests I took last week, and if my doctor rules out an adrenal gland problem (which can cause these same symptoms) then we are going to try taking me off the b/c pills and dealing with the migraines and horrible cycles in some other way.

For specifics, since getting on the pills I've gained 30 pounds, my hair is falling out drastically, I have zero energy, my cholesterol went from 137 to 243, blood pressure from an average of 117/78 to as high as 160/100. (I give blood every 8-9 weeks so it gets checked frequently.) Cortisol was elevated enough for him to order a dexamethasone test (not fun) that I took on Tuesday and am still waiting for results. They also found protein, blood, and white blood cells in my urine sample, so things are clearly not as they should be. I'm trying not to freak out, but all of this is rather alarming from someone who used to be a healthy, active 140 pounds prior to entering menopause.

And yes, the pills were prescribed by my ob/gyn to deal with equally horrendous, though different, problems. Feels like you can't win the side-effects game.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I just changed my projected goal. I had it set at losing a pound a week. Then I thought ...Uhm why am I letting myself feel hungry and trying to lose the weight faster, I'm not that impatient! I only have about 8 - 10 lbs to lose I can do 1/2 pound a week and feel happier. I just upped my calories, so I'll adjust if need be in a couple weeks or more. (time will tell)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

If this was directed at me, I will answer to say that it's not going well. :( Scale is at 170, blood pressure, cholesterol, and cortisol are through the roof based on tests I took last week, and if my doctor rules out an adrenal gland problem (which can cause these same symptoms) then we are going to try taking me off the b/c pills and dealing with the migraines and horrible cycles in some other way.

For specifics, since getting on the pills I've gained 30 pounds, my hair is falling out drastically, I have zero energy, my cholesterol went from 137 to 243, blood pressure from an average of 117/78 to as high as 160/100. (I give blood every 8-9 weeks so it gets checked frequently.) Cortisol was elevated enough for him to order a dexamethasone test (not fun) that I took on Tuesday and am still waiting for results. They also found protein, blood, and white blood cells in my urine sample, so things are clearly not as they should be. I'm trying not to freak out, but all of this is rather alarming from someone who used to be a healthy, active 140 pounds prior to entering menopause.

And yes, the pills were prescribed by my ob/gyn to deal with equally horrendous, though different, problems. Feels like you can't win the side-effects game.

Wow. I'm sorry you're going through all this :( So you went from 163 to 170 lbs from increasing calories. Have you been consistent with it? It's entirely possible your metabolism doesn't land within the parameters of the normal calculations. Or, if the way you've been feeling has reduced your activity level from the 5 hours originally described, then this calorie level could be too high for you as well. It might be worth having you find somewhere near you that does metabolic testing and/or DEXA scanning to get a true picture of body fat and your RMR and such. Any advice anyone can give here is based on average calculations at best.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options

Wow. I'm sorry you're going through all this :( So you went from 163 to 170 lbs from increasing calories. Have you been consistent with it? It's entirely possible your metabolism doesn't land within the parameters of the normal calculations. Or, if the way you've been feeling has reduced your activity level from the 5 hours originally described, then this calorie level could be too high for you as well. It might be worth having you find somewhere near you that does metabolic testing and/or DEXA scanning to get a true picture of body fat and your RMR and such. Any advice anyone can give here is based on average calculations at best.

I'm thinking the pills or whatever condition I might have is the culprit as opposed to my diet and exercise at this point. I'm just trying to keep going until I get some answers, then concentrate again on MFP. There are too many variables I'm dealing with at the moment.
  • Elbowsoar
    Options
    I tried clean eating not counting calories and gained weight. Probably muscle, but also some chub. I think calorie deficits are still the go to way to lose weight.. gotta be smart about your macros and nutrients (which is difficult as hell) if you want to feel healthy and alert though. You can definitely lose lots of fat (not just glycogen stores) with a strong calorie deficit and routine exercise though, no doubt about it. I think the "starvation mode" idea is severely overblown. Here's just one example, but a very scientific one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Sparing_Modified_Fast

Except for in extreme cases though I agree with the poster above who said a diet should be a relatively sustainable way of eating.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    Update: just got my cortisol test results and my body is suppressing it as it should, so that's good news that my adrenal gland isn't malfunctioning. Bad news, still have some kind of infection going on, so have to clear that up, then we'll talk about stopping the pills.

I am just ready to start feeling well again - I am really absolutely drained right now.
  • Mayra_121
    Mayra_121 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This just keeps getting stranger. Now they want me to go to a urologist because of my lab results . . . meanwhile I'm still looking pregnant through the middle. :(
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    So after multiple tests to check my thyroid, adrenal gland, kidneys, bladder, etc., etc. . . . they have no idea why I have had blood in my urine for 2 months (possibly longer, that was just when I first got it checked this year). Nor can they explain the weight gain and blood pressure/cholesterol spikes based on any of the tests.

Meeting with my primary doctor next week to discuss what to try next.

Strangely, after 2 months of not logging my food AND not following my normal exercise routine because of all of these tests, my weight has remained at 170, right where it was when I first went in to get tested. I am returning to my usual routine this week since they haven't given me any reason not to.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    I'm officially at my wits' end. After all of the inconclusive tests, I was advised to stop the birth control pills I'd been on. 4 months later my blood pressure is still through the roof and my weight has not budged. The doctors have no recommendations for me other than "lose weight or you'll have to go on medication." Left the office in tears. Absolutely sick to death over this situation.