Fitbit Charge HR vs. Garmin Vivismart HR

Options
Looking to buy one of these today, which one would you buy? What are your pros and cons?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    me i like garmin products better. i like that it was waterproof. I like that it syncs here. I just have the first version. I like it better. I think the new vivosmart looks more like a vivofit

here is a good review
  • kfraz33
    kfraz33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks...
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    +1 for Garmin. I had the first Vivosmart and just recently upgraded to the Vivoactive. I've found them to be more accurate than the Fitbit, in my own tests. The HR for both would be my only question, because thus far optical heart rate monitors can have issues with accuracy or even reading properly, so I still prefer the heart monitor chest strap.
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Garmin!! I love mine! It does so much more plus its smaller around your wrist and not bulky. I love that it gives you a goal for the day for steps and after you sit for too long, it vibrates and flashes MOVE!... so I am more aware of how long I'm sitting and need to get up and walk at work.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    +1 Garmin - having had both the Charge and VivoSmart I concur that the Garmin is more accurate. It's also more feature rich. I'd love to get the VivoActive but can't afford it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have the vivosmart and I love it. Deciding factor for me was wanting to use a chest strap, which I already had because I have a forerunner. I did buy my bf the hr charge and he likes it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The chest strap puts me off those ones.

I love my Charge HR.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Neither. I posted something similar 6 weeks or so ago and ended up buying the Garmin Forerunner 220 based on recs here. Best decison ever. I got the optional HR strap nd really glad I did :)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I love my charger HR and like some others wanted to stop using my chest strap hrm. I used both for a week together during workouts to make sure the fitbit was working the same at the wrist ( I was skeptical at first) and it was amazingly close, usually withing 30 calories for an hour long workout. The only thing I dislike about it is that it is not waterproof, but hey it means it gets some time to charge every day when I shower so I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    For those with either of these devices... Do either connect to a chest strap if you want more accuracy? I just bought the PolarA360 and chose it over others just so I could use the strap on occasion.

Thoughts?
  • Orphia
    Options
    For those with either of these devices... Do either connect to a chest strap if you want more accuracy? I just bought the PolarA360 and chose it over others just so I could use the strap on occasion.

Thoughts?

I've never heard of my Charge HR being connected to a chest strap, no.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I love my charger HR and like some others wanted to stop using my chest strap hrm. I used both for a week together during workouts to make sure the fitbit was working the same at the wrist ( I was skeptical at first) and it was amazingly close, usually withing 30 calories for an hour long workout. The only thing I dislike about it is that it is not waterproof, but hey it means it gets some time to charge every day when I shower so I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me.

Well done, you, on doing such a test!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I love my Charge HR.

The Vivosmart HR has an optical HR monitor, Garmin licence the Mio Optical tech, so ti's pretty mature.

fwiw there is a very minor difference between optical and ECG monitoring, but for most people the impact of that discrepancy is negligible.

What's more significant is whether the HR data means anything of value? RHR trends have some benefit, but as far as the rest of the time is concerned, probably just a marketing gimmick.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Thoughts?

The discrepancy isn't significant enough to be meaningful unless you're one of the, admittedly quite large, segment of users that optical HR monitoring doesn't work for.

• kfraz33
    kfraz33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A lot of good comments and information everyone has given and I appreciate it. My biggest reason for wanting one is the size. I've got a polar M400 and got it because of the GPS. unfortunately my ortho has told me due to a abnormality in my hip, I should stop jogging, so that GPS is no longer needed, not to mention it is pretty big. I guess I could always go for the new polar models.
  • adammiarka
    adammiarka Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I love my Charge HR.

The Vivosmart HR has an optical HR monitor, Garmin licence the Mio Optical tech, so ti's pretty mature.

fwiw there is a very minor difference between optical and ECG monitoring, but for most people the impact of that discrepancy is negligible.

What's more significant is whether the HR data means anything of value? RHR trends have some benefit, but as far as the rest of the time is concerned, probably just a marketing gimmick.

Garmin actually designed the optical heart rate on the Vivosmart HR and 235 in house. It's not licensed thru Mio. Having used the Vivosmart HR, it's great for steady state things like walking, running. As soon as you start to do things like lift weights, boot camp, CrossFit type activities, the HR readings fall apart and can't keep up with the change.
  • ambridget2
    ambridget2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Waiting for my Fitbit HR which will be received Jan 2. I am excited.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    adammiarka wrote: »
    Garmin actually designed the optical heart rate on the Vivosmart HR and 235 in house. It's not licensed thru Mio.

Interesting, I was sure DCRainmaker talked about the Mio license at some point, as Garmin do use quite a bit of licensed tech, or they acquire the vendor and in-house delivery.

Having used the Vivosmart HR, it's great for steady state things like walking, running. As soon as you start to do things like lift weights, boot camp, CrossFit type activities, the HR readings fall apart and can't keep up with the change.

Notwithstanding that the data is of very limited value in most of those circumstances it's less important. ECG based monitorig has similar issues. I know when I'm doing sprint intervals I've never had an HRM that was all that useful except around identifying the extremes.

• lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have had garmins in the past, forerunner 110 and 305. Both were great until with age they gave out on me. I received a fitbit charge hr as a gift from my mother and day 2, I like it so far :) HR activity on the wrist, 24/7 monitoring vs HR electrode band activity. I like how it does BMR, steps, cal, you can set goals, and see the time too.

Not bad at all. Had a little hiccup when it stalled at firmware update when I first got it but found the troubleshooting guides and made it through that. I like the activity/exercise tracking especially, showing the zones and cal per min I burned with my activities.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Well done, you, on doing such a test!

Agreed. My experience. Exactly! ! Waterproofing. Would ne nice ,Have a four level home after. Showering. On level one go up to court forget. To put back on Robbed. Of 2 levels and many. Steps taken, Other than this I do Love my charge HR