Extremely high heart rate after illness

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So, over the past two weeks, I had a very heavy cold, lots of phlegm, coughing, even to the point of mild chest discomfort. During the time I was sick, the only exercise I did was walking and yoga, and if I couldn't go outside, 20 minutes on a treadmill at moderate pace. I'm now more or less recovered and back to heavy workouts -- kickboxing and a heavy circuit training class. I wear a Fitbit HR, and have noticed that my heart rate is extremely high, above the 80%, more like 100%. Today I did an Insanity class, and couldn't do jumping jacks or any kind of jumping because I felt it was too much for me. Just step-kicks were putting me at 150. I'm 57, so 85% (which is where my heart rate should be during heavy exercise) should be around 130 or so, which it was when I exercised before I got this nasty cold/flu. In fact, even on my daily walk, it's gotten up to over 130 when usually it's only in the low 100s. Is this because I'm still recovering from my illness, slacked off too much, and my body is readjusting to the increased activity, or could I have something cardio-vascular going on? I'm due for a check-up in January, so don't know if it's worth mentioning. Several years ago, I had mild chest pains and all kinds of invasive tests, and it turned out all I had was a chest wall injury from lifting a box.

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something you should be talking to your doctor about, today.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Firstly, have you actually physically checked your heart rate? Optical heart rate monitors have a list of issues when it come to their accuracy.
    Secondly, coming off a bad cold/flu it's quite normal that your endurance, stamina, strength all take a hit for the first couple of weeks back.
    If in fact you do find that your heart rate is actually that much over when working out, it would probably be wise to stop working out and over exhorting yourself and get checked out by a doctor sooner than later.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    However your hemoglobin and iron levels? Maybe get a blood test. When I am severely anaemic I experience tachycardia (high heart rate) even when doing nothing (ie my resting heart rate has gone up to 140 in the past when my hemoglobin and iron were very low)
  • rosebette
    Options
    My hemoglobin and iron levels were fine last year; I haven't had any problems with anemia since menopause (10+ years ago).
  • konagirl64
    konagirl64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dehydration
  • rosebette
    Options
    konagirl64 wrote: »
    Dehydration

I don't think so. I drink tons of water, both before and during my workout. I'm not great at logging it, though.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. People here can only guess. Just because your lab work was fine last year, doesn't mean it is still fine. You have been losing weight and eating in a calorie deficit, nutritional deficiencies are a possibility. Or, you could still be recovering from being sick. Or, yes, it could be cardiovascular problems developing. Regardless, your doctor is the one to determine these things.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I need medicine for my heart rate, and I had to wear a heart monitor for 2 days to make sure nothing else was wrong (and get all sorts of blood tests for thyroid). Mine came on with a high heart rate doing yoga, all of a sudden while I was very fit. The meds fix it up, but they take a while to kick in, so that's another reason to go very quickly.

Don't exercise for now. You need those tests first.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, would get it looked at,, but it has happened to me a few times after illness..
  • rosebette
    Options
    I was on the treadmill yesterday, and my heart rate was within normal range. I think that the illness probably put stress on my heart, but now that I've been a few days without a cough, things seem to be a lot better. Perhaps I had a mild case of bronchitis and wasn't getting enough oxygen to my heart and lungs, and I had gone back to exercising heavily too soon.