Wine

Options
mrsnazario1219
mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Why so many calories for such a small serving?? And why are wine glasses so huge if the recommended serving is so small?! I guess I'm just whining :smiley:

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Wine glasses are very large because you are supposed to only fill them part way in order to enjoy the smells as well as the taste of the wine. The exception to this is champagne. You should fill those glasses about 3/4 of the way so you keep the bubbles.

I don't think the calories are too bad. I typically pour myself a 250ml serving which is typically a little under 200 calories for dry red wine.
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wine glasses are very large because you are supposed to only fill them part way in order to enjoy the smells as well as the taste of the wine. The exception to this is champagne. You should fill those glasses about 3/4 of the way so you keep the bubbles.

I don't think the calories are too bad. I typically pour myself a 250ml serving which is typically a little under 200 calories for dry red wine.

I did know that at some point about the size of the glasses. Thanks for reminding me :) I usually have a Riesling or prosecco or even a moscato. I guess those are more caloric?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I definitely workout so I can drink more wine on some days. Win, win, win situation.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Most wines have @ 150 cals in a 5 oz. serving. And prosecco and champagne have less. I guess I never thought of that as a lot, since it's basically a type of fruit juice.
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options
    I definitely workout so I can drink more wine on some days. Win, win, win situation.

Yeah.. That's definitely an incentive!
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Most wines have @ 150 cals in a 5 oz. serving. And prosecco and champagne have less. I guess I never thought of that as a lot, since it's basically a type of fruit juice.

I'm at 1300 calories so every little bit counts :(
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I did know that at some point about the size of the glasses. Thanks for reminding me :) I usually have a Riesling or prosecco or even a moscato. I guess those are more caloric?

Yes. I drink dry whites like sauvignon blanc and they're about 120 per serving.

EDIT: never mind, that's about the same as Riesling. I guess I just didn't think 120 per serving was that much.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Depends on how sweet they are. A brut prosecco will have fewer calories than an extra dry and moscato tends to be a little sweeter yet.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink Sauvignon Blanc and the bottle I like is 26 oz, about 600 calories. It's worth it to me lol :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if im drinking wine its by the bottle not by the ounce ;)

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    How does everyone know how many calories their wine has? Do they have labels of nutrition? Are they googling this and finding it somehow?
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How does everyone know how many calories their wine has? Do they have labels of nutrition? Are they googling this and finding it somehow?

The wine I drink is in the MFP database. The bottle is 750 ml so I googled to find out how many ounces that is and logged it. It's probably not 100% accurate, but close enough. I also have a wine glass that tells me how many calories is in a serving size. I think 12 oz was around 300 calories.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

I like your style.
  • mrsnazario1219
    Options

Ha! Yeah I hear you. I like my wine and can definitely drink a bottle on my own
  • earlnabby
    Options

MFP has official entries for many varieties of wine. Search for Alcoholic Beverage, wine, table, white, Riesling and you will find the information. You can see by the picture here that most of the official wine entries start the same way...alcoholic beverage, wine, table... Then you type red or white and the kind of wine. The serving size drop down will have several choices for you. Hope this helps.
    np6pb5h6jcsh.png

ETA - Alcoholic Beverages, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whisky) 80 Proof is also a handy entry to know. The calories for liquor will be different depending on the proof, so a 90 Proof alcohol will have more calories. Generally though, I've found almost everyone uses 80 proof.

I wonder where my 151 rum fits in? (I don't drink it, I only use it for flaming dishes).

I have also found that many of the popular brands of wine have entries by name. My staple sipping wine is Bota Box Malbec and it is in the database.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I have also found that many of the popular brands of wine have entries by name. My staple sipping wine is Bota Box Malbec and it is in the database.
    Bota Box is such a reasonable wine, isn't it?

• earlnabby
    Options

It is. Decent taste and a good price. I like Malbec the best but also like their Old Vine Zinfandel.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It is. Decent taste and a good price. I like Malbec the best but also like their Old Vine Zinfandel.

I like the Malbec, the Old Vine, and the Chardonnay.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Prosecco is just under 500 calories for a bottle.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Prosecco is just under 500 calories for a bottle.

Generally Brut is 20 calories per fluid ounce (507 per 750 ml bottle) and extra dry is 22 per ounce (558 per bottle). Sparkling moscato is just over 600 per bottle and asti is all over the place (ranges from 18 calories per ounce to 28).
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    First of all, Wine? Yes please. LOL!! I always recommend to limit to one glass. I make sure I get at least half a glass. That way the bottle lasts a lot longer, unless I'm cooking with it then still only half a glass.