Alternative to Standing Cable Lateral Raise?

The standing cable lateral raise was recommended because there is tension throughout the movement. At this time, however, I cannot maintain proper form even on the lowest weight. it's difficult because I've had injuries in the past and have a slight build. I tried no weight, but the peg kept flapping on the stack, and tried cheating, by helping my weaker arm with the other arm. It still felt awkward. Can you suggest any alternatives that I can use until I'm ready to try again?

Thanks.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Honestly? I wouldn't find an alternate. I'd just ditch it.

What are you trying to accomplish? If strength and some size, I'd stick to strict military press.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Can you just do a lateral raise with a dumbbell?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Can you just do a lateral raise with a dumbbell?

That is one I considered. I don't particularly like it. But I will put that on my list. Thanks.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    If you really still want to do the exercise, try it with a dumbbell. If they don't have a small enough weight for you (or if you want the resistance the whole way through), you can also try it with a rubber exercise band. It'd be like the cable machine but with less resistance.

Also, if you go to Bodybuilding.com and type side lateral raise into the search bar you'll come to the exercise video guide. Towards the bottom there's a list of alternate exercises.
  • toutmonpossible

What are you trying to accomplish? If strength and some size, I'd stick to strict military press.

I already do an overhead press with dumbbells, so doesn't that accomplish the same thing? I also have access to an overhead press machine.

My goal at the moment is strength, some size, and most important, not injuring myself. :smile: I'm returning to the gym after a long hiatus and I'm a little woman whose had problems with her shoulders since early adulthood.
  • toutmonpossible
    If you really still want to do the exercise, try it with a dumbbell. If they don't have a small enough weight for you (or if you want the resistance the whole way through), you can also try it with a rubber exercise band. It'd be like the cable machine but with less resistance.

Also, if you go to Bodybuilding.com and type side lateral raise into the search bar you'll come to the exercise video guide. Towards the bottom there's a list of alternate exercises.

The resistance band alternative is one I've never tried. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's somewhat demoralizing when I can't do even the lowest weight on the stack. But I'm experienced enough to know that I shouldn't continue if I can't do the exercise with proper form.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member

I already do an overhead press with dumbbells, so doesn't that accomplish the same thing? I also have access to an overhead press machine.

My goal at the moment is strength, some size, and most important, not injuring myself. :smile: I'm returning to the gym after a long hiatus and I'm a little woman whose had problems with her shoulders since early adulthood.

I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to echo the advice of many, many strength coaches:
    Less is more, stick to the basic compound movements. Especially when starting out.
    In your case, I'd suggest sticking to overhead pressing movements, progress in number of reps, weight, however you like.

Many are in the camp that lateral/front raises are bad for your shoulders. Outside of bodybuilding and trying for a very specific visual result, I can't see any reason to do them.
  • toutmonpossible

I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to echo the advice of many, many strength coaches:
    Less is more, stick to the basic compound movements. Especially when starting out.
    In your case, I'd suggest sticking to overhead pressing movements, progress in number of reps, weight, however you like.

Many are in the camp that lateral/front raises are bad for your shoulders. Outside of bodybuilding and trying for a very specific visual result, I can't see any reason to do them.

My program is supposed to develop my upper body. The objective is to create a nice, firmed toned (don't scream) look with some strength.

It's interesting that you say that lateral front raises are criticized by some. I've always had a hell of a time doing them. I always assumed it was because I was weak or had structural issues. You know those 1 and 2-pound weights that people laugh at? I have to use those for my shoulders.

Thanks for the advice.
  • toutmonpossible

The resistance band alternative is one I've never tried. Thanks for all the suggestions.

It's somewhat demoralizing when I can't do even the lowest weight on the stack. But I'm experienced enough to know that I shouldn't continue if I can't do the exercise with proper form.

There was a yellow band lying around and I tried some sets. I was able to get the full range of motion. I read that resistance bands aren't as good as the cable station in maintaining resistance throughout the motion, but this is definitely an improvement.