What app is your favorite and why?

Options
lisabinco
lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
So many apps out there and so little time. So those of you with a smart phone: what fitness-related app is your favorite? And why?

Replies

• fotoula242
    fotoula242 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally like "mapmywalk". It details exactly where you went for your walk/jog, shows inclines, your pace and it times you.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I like RunKeeper for the same reason fotoula242 likes MapMyWalk - plus RunKeeper doesn't chew through my phone battery when I'm using it, whereas MapMyWalk totally does (I'll start at 100% and walk 2 miles to my son's school and back: with RK I'm at 97% when I get back, whereas using MMW it is all the way down to 85%. I tested them several times over consecutive days on different routes. RunKeeper clearly wins every time)

ETA: I also have scale apps for tracking weight loss daily (I only record here weekly-ish). I got 2 free scale apps because i didn't know which I'd prefer for the graphs and stuff, and I've ended up entering the data in both daily anyway. The ones I use are "Monitor Your Weight" and "quiklog.me" both of which are really easy to use and I like the graphs on both. I've heard and read good things about WeightBot too but it's $1.99 so...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    :heart: Zombies,Run!

It turns running into a game. Outrun zombies, collect items, and when your done with your run you can build up your base. It's pretty fun and feeds right into my geeky nature.

:heart: MFP

Barcode scanner....need I say more....

:heart: Fitbit

Comes in handy for syncing my zip while I'm out and about. Like tomorrow, I'm going to the zoo and won't be home most of the day. So to keep my calorie goals up to date I'm probably going to sync it several times while we are there.

:heart: Nexercise

I love to have this running in the background while I'm using Zombies, Run! The reason is pretty greedy and simple. I earn points for tracking cardio exercises. These points can then be redeemed for gift cards or used to enter sweepstakes.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly minimal as far apps go, but:

Nike+ for tracking my runs as far as pace and splits go. Rather embarrassingly, I completely love the mathematical aspect of running (not as much as the actual running, but), as well as the general approach of the app/site in terms of encouragement and challenges.

Zombies, Run! Originally, this was a means of encouraging me to get out and go for a run, but I fell in love with the story and the voice acting. It's amazingly well written and the characters are utterly brilliant. If you're a fan of the zombie apocalypse/human survival genres (with a touch of added humour), then it's a must-have.

(Sub recommendation related to the above: there's a C25K app related to Zombies, Run! -- "Zombies, Run! 5K training" -- that is a cheaper alternative if you're new to running and/or unsure about the premise/storyline of the app.)
  • lisabinco
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the recommendations!!
    I think hearing what other people use and like is the best way to cut through all the smoke and get what really works for me. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will check out each and every suggestion!
  • Kicking_Butt
    Options
    I use Runtastic (cause it links to MPF :) and I also use NikeRun (though not in awhile) I like both of these apps because I can download music onto my phone then I can listen to them while Im walking too... its awesome for me and keeps me motivated!! :) i will have to check out this Zombie Run app... it sounds awesome!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    MFP
    Nike+
    Runkeeper (use it as a backup with Nike+ for running, and it also has a walking setting)
    Zombies, Run!
    Nike Training Club (full of awesome workouts)
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    MFP - well duh
    Fitocracy - best workout logging app that provides a level of fun/competition along with it
    PTracker - because I'm bad at being a girl and can never remember when Shark Week is going to happen
    Astrid Tasker - because it syncs with my Google Tasks & Calendar and because that snarky little octopus looking thing harasses me to get my to do list done and even reminds me to return any missed phone calls
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Runtastic for its GPS accuracy and Endomondo for their website
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I like the GPS capability. I hadn't thought about the MFP linking. I notice MFP has a link to all the apps that link with it. Clever.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone UP app to go with my Jawbone up bracelet. It is beautiful and very insightful. I also like Map My Run and of course MFP. I also like Pinterest for looking up health related Pins and stuff!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I like runtastic
    There arent too many I have checked out thanks for sharing