Thinking of Going Vegan, possibly just Raw Vegan. Any Advice?

Options
idoltrainee
idoltrainee Posts: 12 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
For animals and health. I've seen people go fully raw before and their skin is better, their hair is better, they have more energy. I'm seriously considering going fully raw. Has anyone experienced this lifestyle, and do you have any thoughts, ideas, or advice that you think might help me decide? Thanks ❤️

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Have you done any research on vegan nutritional needs? It's super easy to end up with vitamin/mineral deficiencies if you aren't aware of what you need and your body's natural state. I've known to many people who went vegan without proper research in how to eat a nutritionally balanced vegan diet and ended up in hospital.

Nothing wrong with going vegan... just do it wisely and sustainably for yourself.
  • idoltrainee
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I've done research, and I plan to do a lot more before I decide on any kind of lifestyle. I do know that you can get these basic minerals and vitamins from specific types of fruit and vegetables. Now, you may be shaking your head at the screen if you ever see this reply. "What, vegetables? She's crazy!" But I'm fairly confident about the idea. Thanks for your feedback! ❤️
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    What about protein? It's widely recommended for people in deficit to consume .6-.85 grams of protein per lb of lean mass to assist in curbing lean mass loss during weight loss. What are your go-to plans for protein sources? (Not trying to poke fun or change your mind, just making sure that you have dotted your "t"s and crossed your "I"s)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I did the raw thing one summer and felt great at first, then felt worse and worse. By the time winter hit, I was ready for some hot food and gave it up. I found it is a lot easier to do in warm weather. And it can definitely get expensive if you go for more of the gourmet recipes that use a lot of nuts.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is what Webmed has to say about a raw food diet (besides being expensive and time-consuming)

A raw food diet is low in calories, high in fiber, and based on primarily healthy whole-plant foods, so eating this way will lead to weight loss.

But the diet is a nutritionally inadequate and highly restrictive plan that will be hard to stay on for the long-term. The risk of food poisoning from eating raw or undercooked foods outweighs the benefits of this plan.

In general, cooking makes your food more easily digestible and safer.

There are some nutrient-rich super foods that can’t be eaten raw, such as beans, whole grains, and lean proteins.
  • idoltrainee
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies! The thing is, I tried to mention this in my original post, but it was too long so it got cut out. What I said was that these "problems" didn't seem to be an issue with the people I know that went fully raw vegan. They just said that they got everything they needed from fruit and vegetables. Thanks anyway! ❤️
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies! The thing is, I tried to mention this in my original post, but it was too long so it got cut out. What I said was that these "problems" didn't seem to be an issue with the people I know that went fully raw vegan. They just said that they got everything they needed from fruit and vegetables. Thanks anyway! ❤️

Not getting enough protein will lead to ridges in nails, hair loss, and various other problems. I would try to get them to explain in more detail what they are eating and how they are supplementing their protein intake. Taking their word on it that they are "just eating fruits and veggies" isn't going to serve you very well.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    It's not possible to get EVERYTHING you need from straight fruit and veg. I've been vegan for a long time. Never done the raw thing myself, but known many who have.

You'll find yourself extremely lacking in protein on a raw vegan diet. Now, that is not necessarily the case for a vegan diet as there are plenty of protein sources out there, but it'll be hard to get enough raw through veg, or grains, or nuts or what have you.

This website will let you tell it what you want to eat and will tell you how much you'll need to eat to get an adequate amount of protein.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-calculator/

For example, edamame which is a very good protein source, would require you to eat 1996 calories to get 60 grams of protein. That's not very actionable over time.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Man gained a longer lifespan due to better nutrition once fire was controllable and transportable. Cooking food became common. Beats me why anyone would want to go back to caveman days.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is a YouTube "guru" who does nothing but tout a raw food diet. Some people claim to have had success, while others have had serious medical issues caused by the diet. Google it. Anything that is so restrictive and extreme can't be good for you, imho.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Like, you actually know these people or you're referring to "success stories" from people around the web?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so are you just looking for thoughts, ideas or advice which agrees with the idea?
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have milk issues so I try to avoid any dairy or even milk products (so I buy vegan dairy products and avoid packaged products with milk etc.) I also have some digestion issues so I tend to only eat meat once a day. It's fine to go vegan and raw so long as you keep your macros in check. But I can't go raw cause of my digestion. I think the reason people feel better on raw is cause they get more vitamins from all the fruits and veg they end up eating. But cooked veg is just as nutrient rich if it's cooked right. You don't have to go completely raw. Do what works for your body. :)
  • idoltrainee
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I once had someone tell me (with a straight face) that they got all their nutrients from the maple syrup diet....seriously.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't recommend eating a fully raw diet like that Kristina gal. First of all, she runs an organic produce co-op so she always has convenient access to all the produce she needs. Second, she has money. Even before Youtube she had parents who supported her diet financially.

The volume of food you need to eat on this diet is enormous and you will constantly need to shop for produce. I eat a ton of fruit, I'm not raw vegan, and it's a pain in the bleep making sure I have ripe fruit on hand.

Skin, hair, and energy are not exclusive to a raw vegan diet. Focus on sleep, hydration, and de-stressing first. Then start eating nutrient rich foods. Don't feel like you have to go to an extreme to attain these things. Some people have great skin and smoke cigarettes. Life is funny that way.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to get EVERYTHING you need from straight fruit and veg. I've been vegan for a long time. Never done the raw thing myself, but known many who have.

You'll find yourself extremely lacking in protein on a raw vegan diet. Now, that is not necessarily the case for a vegan diet as there are plenty of protein sources out there, but it'll be hard to get enough raw through veg, or grains, or nuts or what have you.

This website will let you tell it what you want to eat and will tell you how much you'll need to eat to get an adequate amount of protein.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-calculator/

For example, edamame which is a very good protein source, would require you to eat 1996 calories to get 60 grams of protein. That's not very actionable over time.

OP, Bane is right. If you go vegan you’ll need to supplement your diet. Vitamin B is one of the obvious deficiencies from eating plants alone. And while it’s possible to get enough protein on a vegan diet, it takes more work and planning. You should start doing some serious research. And if you come across somebody claiming that you can live on a vegan diet alone, run away.

Going vegan is a big step in itself. As part of your diet you can eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit. But committing to a fully raw diet, on top of the already restrictive vegan diet, seems a little nuts to me. Before taking that last step I’d want some solid science that fully explains and supports the specific benefits you might expect.
  • idoltrainee
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies and feedback. I think I know what to do now.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    just remember to listen to YOUR body,something that works for your friends may not work for you. I have friends who went vegan and are doing amaaazing. I also have friends who went vegan and their health really stalled and plummeted after a while. If it isn't working, don't feel ashamed - there are lots of ways to improve your relationship with animals, reduce your impact on the environment, and still eat some animal protein.