What Do You Eat?

Options
I'm new here so forgive me if this post is not in the correct forum.

My question is, what do y'all eat to lose weight? I need some good meal plans with NORMAL stuff (oatmeal, grilled chicken, etc) I'm a pretty picky eater and I just want something that's normal and not too involved.

Also, are six meals a day necessary? I just don't know how to eat six meals a day. I mean, I DO, but not healthy, thought-out meals haha.

SO, what do you guys eat to lose the weight? I will take ALL suggestions!

Thanks!!

Replies

• Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grain, nuts, eggs, dairy...it's all about good foods and proper portions.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, as long as it's under my calorie goal and fits my macros.

I eat fruit, veggies, lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains.....and.....ice cream, pop tarts, cereal, pasta, rice, steak, occasional fast food, pizza, cheese, etc.

There is no special meal plan - just measure and weigh your food, count every calorie you eat, get enough protein and stay right at your calorie goal (and eat back your exercise calories).
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on fruits and veggies and lean protein. I still eat chocolate and ice cream and occasionally have beer and wine. I just do my best to fit it in my calories and macros (I still sort of suck at the macros thing). I am a binger, so I am dealing with that, but the trick is to find stuff you like, calculate it, weight it, measure it and go from there. You can also take not-so-healthy favorites and play around with them and make them healthier. I eat a lot of egg whites, some eggs, 2% cheese, chicken, lunch meat, extra lean ground turkey, berries, apples, salads, mushrooms, Greek yogurt/yogurt and peas. Nuts and nut butters are great, too, and I love guacamole and salsa on sandwiches and in eggs. I also eat higher fiber, lower carb whole wheat bread and English muffins and lower carb tortillas/wraps on a regular basis.
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches with tuna and light mayo sliced pickle and lettuce, low sodium/nitrite free deli meat with mustard and baby spinach. Salads with tomato and feta, watermelon and sunflower seeds. Good healthy cereals with low fat milk. Yogurt with fruit like strawberries cut up in it. I like Quaker products like the crispy minis, they are good on the go and when you want a treat that you can just bleep the bar code and go. I have started eating more salsa...I put it on a good whole grain rye cracker with some low sodium/ nitrite free turkey instead of a sandwich...so good. I have become very motivated to try to knew food because I have decided that I would like to eat like this for the rest of my life. So I eat what I want to eat the way I want to eat it. I have been surprised at how much effort I've been willing to put it in. I actual enjoy grocery shopping now because I think "huh, I can have that". It's great.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Only things that would have been found in paleozoic era
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just eat Food
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How do you define "normal"? I just eat the foods I like in portions small enough that I meet my calorie goal. A good way to start is just by logging your normal daily intake and then looking at that and seeing if you need to tweak things to meet your nutritional goals. If you're way over your calorie goal, then you'll probably need to cut portion sizes, but it can also help to aim for less calorie-dense foods. Eating plenty of protein and fibre will help to keep you fuller for fewer calories. Fats are essential for your health, and will likely give you more satisfaction from your foods, but are worth keeping an eye on for their calorie content. You don't have to eat certain foods though.

I don't eat 6 meals a day, and no it's not necessary to do that to lose weight. I eat either 2 or 3 meals a day, as that suits me much better than grazing all day.
  • southernsweetie_92
    Options
    WOW! Thanks so much for all the quick replies!

Something I meant to put in my first post was about Subway. Is Subway really as healthy and diet friendly as people make it out to be? I mean, I know there are unhealthy things at Subway but something like a turkey sandwhich on wheat bread with lettuce and mustard. It's so high in sodium that I've just wondered if it's really that good for you?

Thanks again!!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    How do you define "normal"? I just eat the foods I like in portions small enough that I meet my calorie goal. A good way to start is just by logging your normal daily intake and then looking at that and seeing if you need to tweak things to meet your nutritional goals. You don't have to eat certain foods though.

I don't eat 6 meals a day, and no it's not necessary to do that to lose weight. I eat either 2 or 3 meals a day, as that suits me much better than grazing all day.
    Same here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat food...just less of it than I need to for maintaining weight. I make sure I get my proper nutrition...i.e. vitamins, minerals, protein, essential fat and then whatevs...I just eat to my calorie goal which includes a deficit for weight loss. Weight loss is calories in/calories out....laws of thermodynamics...science. You burn more than you consume then your body has to reach for fat stores for energy.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    5-6 meals a day
    I eat mainly m-f (these types, on these days)
    Lean meats
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Fruits
    Veggies, sometimes....lol
    V8 is my veggie of choice, when I don't get the potassium I'm looking for..plus the veggies are a plus
    Greek yogurts
    Smoothies that I make

Sat/Sun is always crazy for me...soooo, I make-up for the healthy eating/workouts I do during the week..and if there's an extra crazy eat-a-thon..I don't get upset..I move fwd

Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Something I meant to put in my first post was about Subway. Is Subway really as healthy and diet friendly as people make it out to be? I mean, I know there are unhealthy things at Subway but something like a turkey sandwhich on wheat bread with lettuce and mustard. It's so high in sodium that I've just wondered if it's really that good for you?

Thanks again!!

Sodium can be a negative, but there is nothing inherently wrong with Subway. Should you eat it for every meal, every day? Probably not - your diet needs more variety than that. But a sandwich once or twice a week? Certainly not bad as long as it fits in your calorie and macro goals.

If you're concerned about the sodium, drink lots of water and eat some bananas (potassium counteracts sodium). If you know that a restaurant meal is going to be high in sodium, make low sodium choices the rest of the day. It's all about finding a balance that works for you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, as long as it's under my calorie goal and fits my macros.

I eat fruit, veggies, lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains.....and.....ice cream, pop tarts, cereal, pasta, rice, steak, occasional fast food, pizza, cheese, etc.

There is no special meal plan - just measure and weigh your food, count every calorie you eat, get enough protein and stay right at your calorie goal (and eat back your exercise calories).

^ This is me.
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat Pop Tarts every morning! Just tried Chocolate Peanut Butter this morning. Holy Crap! LOVE....
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Thanks again!!

I have never been in a Subway, but from what I have read on the forums it is one to avoid, as are most factory processed foods
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat a crap ton of all vegetables, sweet potatoes, meat, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, eggs, fruit... pretty simple. Water, wine, and 1 cup of coffee a day.
  • faigylu
    faigylu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    what are macros?
  • prairie4
    prairie4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a routine. It helps me to eat the same things. Oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and yogurt for snacks. I like to add in v8 juice for vegetables. I eat frozen lean cuisine and smart one meals for lunch, with raw vegetables for sides. I try to eat fewer carbs. Supper is the harder meal, because I have a family to cook for and they do not like to eat the same foods, but I stick to leaner, grilled meats if possible and mainly vegetables for side dishes. No desserts or snacking after dinner helps me too. This, at least, is the plan. Easier said than done at times!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Eating out...is what I do...lol, Subway or pretty much any place you go eat can be healthy..just make the right choices, and you'll be fine..we eat at Subways every now & then

Your going to have mixed opinions about this...because...habits can be super hard for people to break..so they will tell you "absolutely not*...but seriously, its your choice..your life..no one else can tell you how to eat

Just helping out...in case you get attacked on here, lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat Pop Tarts every morning! Just tried Chocolate Peanut Butter this morning. Holy Crap! LOVE....

I am going to have to look for those. They sound delicious.

As for Subway. I love subway. Just have to remember to drink lots of water and probably don't want to step on the scale the next day. They seem to be packed with salt, but are usually pretty easy to fit into calorie goals. Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki on honey oat loaded with veggies is my favorite.