How to lose weight- the right way?

Hi everyone!
I realized that I am incredibly discontent in the body I have obtained through my own negative eating habits. I am ready for a massive change and I am willing to put in the effort for a lifestyle makeover.
I honestly need a makeover in many areas of my life and I am starting with this one.
I have read that it is easy to lose muscle when dieting and i certainly don't want to lose it, but I also know that I want to lose weight. So I'm stuck...
What is the best way to lose weight but yet maintain muscle? How do I lose weight?
I appreciate all the help!

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Losing weight is entirely about making sure you consume less calories than you burn. If you use MFP's guided setup, and tell it your stats etc, and goal weight loss per week (general safe figure is 1-2lbs per week, unless you have very little or very much to lose) it will tell you how many calories to eat with the deficit factored in already. If you're honest and accurate with your logging (food scales really help) then the weight takes care of itself.

As for the muscle part, gotta make sure you use it to minimize the loss. A progressive overload lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Strong curves, coupled with making sure you aren't lacking in protein will achieve this.

Good luck!
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Thank you! I am looking to lose about 10-15 pounds.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Thank you! I am looking to lose about 10-15 pounds.

Best thing to do is eat at a small deficit for a .5lb/wk weight loss, make sure to get your protein in, and start some heavy strength training. All of those will help you hold onto as much muscle as possible while getting those few pounds off.