pedometers

Options
Ok I have a question about pedometers?? How accurate do you think they are? That is what I have been using to keep up with my steps and track how far I have walked in a day. I have had people tell me they cant be accurate but I think they are pretty close if not right on the money. Help I need some input on this please thanks Evelyn

Replies

• BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think that they can be a bit off due to a variety of factors, but if it helps you get active then it is a good thing. We all have to find our own way to be healthier in our daily lives. I loved my pedometer when I first started walking because it gave me a good feeling to see the steps add up as I wore it during the day. If nothing else it made me aware of when I moved and when I didn't which kept me from being lazy.
  • Clschuler
    Clschuler Posts: 11
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and it is spot on with the steps. We had purchased some "cheap" Pedometers from Walmart and they were not very accurate. With that being said my Fitbit will add steps while I am on the motorcycle so I have to take that into account (even if it is in the saddle bags).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would think that would depend on the pedometer. Some of the cheaper ones probably aren't very accurate. It also depends on things like:

- is it an actual pedometer or are you using a pedometer phone app? (I tried a phone app one and it wasn't very accurate)
    - where it is placed on your body for tracking? - some have to be put in your shoe, ect and when they aren't placed in the correct spot will become inaccurate.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on the brand, where you wear them, whether you have set the stride right, etc. But the main thing -- in My Opinion -- is that you use it consistently and try to improve the Number of steps you get each Day or Week. Even if it is not 100% accurate, it gives you an Idea of what you have accomplished.
    :smile: I do think Price matters, but you don't have to go to the Top Of The Line $$$$. Just don't settle for the cheap little plastic $5 ones at the Dollar Store.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and it is spot on with the steps. We had purchased some "cheap" Pedometers from Walmart and they were not very accurate. With that being said my Fitbit will add steps while I am on the motorcycle so I have to take that into account (even if it is in the saddle bags).

If you have an android phone, I heard there was an app to eliminate steps earned while driving. I think it's called Drivebit or something like that. (I don't have an android, but wanted the app when I heard about it)

edit: I guess I should have added this to the post above, but I have a Fitbit Zip (cheapest model) and find it to be pretty accurate. I love that it tells me distance traveled, steps taken, total daily calories burned (based on bmr and activity), and even syncs to MFP to adjust my calorie goal.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ekoonce68
    ekoonce68 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks guys I have an app on my phone Accupedo and it seems pretty accurate to me. I know it only works in my hip pocket lol I had on pants with a big pocket on my leg the other day I had walked about 15 mins and was gonna check to see just how long and far I had walked it was on 0. I just had to add that 15 mins to my total time when I tracked my walk for the day.
    I told the people telling me it wasnt correct that it was pretty close and Im up and doing something and that's what matters.
    Thanks for all the help guys.