Does climbing stairs give you muscular thighs?

Options
Hi everyone..
So I do climb the stairs for 30 min as an exercise so I wanted to ask if it will give me muscular thighs..
Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    At most, it will help you shed the fat over your existing thigh muscles making them appear more muscular, but you won't actually grow new muscle tissue on a stair master.
  • FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree fully with @_dracarys_ you're not going to get big huge quads but you will most likely lose fat and tone up making them look more muscular but not huge.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It will tone you buttock. My tiny hinny got a tiny bit bigger.
  • FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ^ lol tinny hinny but yea it totally does firm up the fanny. Lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,227 Member
    Options
    I climb stairs at work ... I'm up to 40 flights a day.

And yes, I am pleased to say, it has helped to develop my quads. :)

It has also made cycling up the hills around here a bit easier.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I can see climbing actual stairs building muscle because there is resistance, but a stair master takes away that gravitational force of pushing yourself up the stair. Since the stair master is moving, you lose some of that resistance you would find on an actual staircase. A stair master will help with calorie burn to promote fat loss in a deficit, and you may see some development and growth from it, but flights of stairs would be more effective
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your genetics, diet, weight, volume and intensity. The heavier you are, the more likely you'll be muscle to compensate in your quads and glutes, if you're not eating a major caloric deficit. The more you loose over time, the less effective it will be at muscle building unless you're talking about a lot of volume and intensity. Progressive resistance is typically what stimulates your body to build muscle because it repairs the damage you do to your muscle fibers and builds more to prepare for the required work. You're genetics also play a role in determining if you'll build muscle. It is much easier for men and less so for women. So, the answer is maybe yes, maybe no and, it depends.