I Cant get myself to eat cooked foods..

Options
Hello

I cant really cook but i can follow recipes. What i do is make food or get food from home or my bf. I pack it up pack it in my lunch bag if im going to work but that food gets ignored and ill order delivery or buy a pack of cookies or doritos and pig out in the whole package. Then i take my food back home and forget it till it goes bad :/
Not only is this wasteful but it defeats my purpose of thrying to eat healthy and i spend more money since im still buying crap food.how can i make sure i eat food i make. Im tired of throwing food away. I just snack all day

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the snacks and eat the healthier food you say you want to eat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It takes practice. Just keep plugging away. Or take cooking classes at an adult school.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    At some point you have to decide which is more important, your weight loss goals or the snack food instead of a meal. You can eat snack foods, you don't have to cook for yourself, you do have to pay attention to your calories and to your budget if money is an issue. However, if you don't want to eat the purchased foods then find things that you do like to eat. Maybe you need some sliced veggies and dip to simulate snacking, maybe you need some smaller portions of food.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Don't bring money with you.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Log before you snack? I do. And I often find myself putting things back. Try it ! Are you logging?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It takes willpower and motivation. Either you want to eat your packed food or you don't. ( we all deserve treats sometimes so eating snacks isn't a bad thing. I make treats fit within my preplanned day . so the treats themselves aren't the issue )
    Nobody on this site and give you the motivation to stay on track . that's something that will have to come from within. If you really want it, do it !
  • galax_nova
    galax_nova Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Willpower.

The truth of matter is that, YOU have to decide what means more to you, the sensation on your taste buds/the insulin spike from eating unhealthy 'food' OR your health.

You must think long term. The idea that junk 'food' tastes better is an illusion. Be creative with the healthy foods you consume and soon they may become the most appetizing things.

Ps. Take away the the added fat and absurd amounts of salt/sugar from most junk 'foods', and you might be horrified by how distasteful they are.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well, you have to make a decision as to whether you want to improve your diet or live on Doritos and cookies (I happen to love both btw!).

Either stop making the trip to buy them, or...instead of buying a bag to "pig out" on, buy single serving packs and toss one in with your healthier lunch. They're a little more expensive but I love them for the portion control.

Another thing you may want to try is instead of packing a lunch that you don't have much interest in eating, pack up smaller items that you can eat as you go through the day. I tend to do that as I'm more of a grazer myself than one to sit with a bigger meal. Yogurts, fruits, protein bars, lunch meat/cheese sticks, ect....
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make foods that you love to eat.
    Or choose fast food options that are low calorie for your daily plan.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stop it.

And... are you preparing boring things like kale and chia seed salad?

Make food you actually like that fits within your calorie limit. That could mean including a nice cookie or two.

You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. Just eat in moderation the things you love.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You really just have to make yourself do it at first. Self-control is like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. In other words, it gets easier the more you do it.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Ok, this may seem counterintuitive, but if there's any anxiety involved (i.e., worry that you won't be satisfied with your packed lunches), I think next time it might be good to try buying the snack like normal but then tell yourself you can eat it after lunch if you're still hungry. Then eat lunch and see how you feel. You may find just having it there just in case is enough. If you're successful, throw the snack away so you're not tempted later, and repeat for a while until you feel you can just eat the lunch you bring. I know it seems wasteful, but you'd be spending the money anyway.

I know that suggestion may be totally irrelevant, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case. I also second the person (people?) who said that you don't have to deprive yourself of snack foods. You just have to fit them into your calorie goal.

Also, force yourself to eat breakfast. A real breakfast. It may reduce your chances of snacking all day.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Also, force yourself to eat breakfast. A real breakfast. It may reduce your chances of snacking all day.

No, this is not required and it is not always true. I actually found I was hungrier all day if I ate breakfast.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

No, this is not required and it is not always true. I actually found I was hungrier all day if I ate breakfast.

Hmm.. I just thought it might help provide some structure, but everyone's different for sure. I shouldn't have been so forceful in making that suggestion! It's funny because I tend to eat smaller amounts more often instead of three meals a day, but when I replied I wasn't thinking of snacking as anything other than negative I think because the op seems to feel negatively about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

This
    Orphia wrote: »
    Stop it.

And... are you preparing boring things like kale and chia seed salad?

Make food you actually like that fits within your calorie limit. That could mean including a nice cookie or two.

You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. Just eat in moderation the things you love.

This

And stop playing the victim in your own life

You can ...you just choose not to
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ...that food gets ignored" is a passive construction. It is you who are actively doing the ignoring. The grammar indicates the problem; take responsibility for your own actions and choices.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you prefer snacking over a lunch, make your own or have your bf/family make you a healthy snack bag for work. Then don't bring any money to buy any other snacks.
  • MrzSnickers
    MrzSnickers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Log before you snack? I do. And I often find myself putting things back. Try it ! Are you logging?

Good idea ! Im not logging but will start back up
  • MrzSnickers
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Make foods that you love to eat.
    Or choose fast food options that are low calorie for your daily plan.

All i really love to eat is cookies, chicken alfredo and shrimp lmao..
    My food is not that creative or tasty as i follow other peoples recipes and im picky. I can eat many things but liking the taste is a whole other thing
    maybe i need to tweek recepies more and combine things
    I can def eat healthier fast food too
  • MrzSnickers
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

I cant totally do that but i could leave my wallet in my car! That way i wont be able to order anything unless i ask the manager to allow me to go to my car